Author Topic: Mounting Son Edelux on fork blade  (Read 6441 times)

snoogly

Mounting Son Edelux on fork blade
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:48:31 pm »
Sadly there is no suitable hole in the crown of my forks to mount the Edelux, so I bought one of these to mount it on the bars.

Noticing that that the mount can rotate on the base, I wondered if I might be able to attach it to the fork blade. Bingo! Works a treat.

There are a few different versions of the mount, silver, black, long, short, and I think the angle comes off the base.

It works so well, that I think it should be considered as an 'officlal' way to mount an Edelux  :)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:35:58 pm by snoogly »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Mounting Son Edelux on fork blade
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:24 pm »
Nice bit of "out-of-box" thinking adapting the handlebar mount, Snoog'!  :)

Do you find the tire casts a shadow in the left field of the light beam, or is it okay?

Best,

Dan.

snoogly

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:42:27 pm »
There is a shadow, extending a couple of meters out....

Trying to decide if the shadow, which might make it hard to avoid obstructions close up, makes up for freeing-up the bars for a bag or pouch.

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:19:26 am »
Hello,
Take off the mudguard. Drill through the mudguard fixing hole to the front. Fit longer bolt and attach the lamp correctly!
Regards,
John

snoogly

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:01:55 am »
Good idea, but I often remove the front wheel and fender to rinko the bike on train rides.

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:37:14 am »
Long bolt with a knut each end holding it in place. Then fit Edeluxe on front with a standard bracket and knut. Same at rear for 'fender'.
The bracket you have purchased and used looks, in my opinion ridiculous.
I am always at a loss as to why mechanically minded (?) cyclists never see what to me is 'the obvious'.
Regards,
John

Bill C

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:56:33 pm »
John, how do you get the polar bears to stay on the threads?
I've been called a cnut a few times but had to google knut ;)

I've got the same problem with lamp and forks, i bought a supernova lefty a while ago as it was cheap, want to fix it to thorn forks but the lefty mount will only bolt from behind, i thought of loads of ways to mount it but taking a drill to my forks never entered my head, i can respray them so the risk of paint damage isn't a worry but with out a drill press i don't think i'd be brave enough to go at it

btw i'd be more worried about the light mount on matey's fork vibrating loose and slipping down sending the light into the wheel than the way it looks

snoogly

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:08 pm »
Long bolt with a knut each end holding it in place. Then fit Edeluxe on front with a standard bracket and knut. Same at rear for 'fender'.
I am always at a loss as to why mechanically minded (?) cyclists never see what to me is 'the obvious'.
Regards,
John

'Long bolt' through what? There is no hole on the front of the fork crown.

(By the way, John, do you have anger-management issues? Your tone seems a tad out of place on the usually genteel Thorn forums.)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:46:19 pm »
Admin note: A gentle reminder that online our words are all we have to represent us, unleavened by subtle visual cues like a grin or twinkle in the eye that are left unseen. Best to be polite and gentle with the words chosen. We do indeed enjoy a rare gentility here that is missing on most forums.
=====

That said, I have a 1989 touring bike that arrived with a 6mm threaded hole in the front of the fork, but none behind, making for difficulties in securing the front nudguard mounting tab. I carefully marked the location, setup a fixture, drilled, and then threaded a similar 6mm hole in the rear of the crown and it has functioned well ever since.

However, this was a forged crown and not all are. Similarly, not everyone is equipped to do such work and there are potential warranty issues as well.

Snoog', I think yours is a clever solution and I certainly understand the need for quick 'guard removal/reinstallation for Rinko use (partial disassembly for bagging while on a train or other public conveyance). This can present some devilishly difficult problems. For example, in Japan (where the term originates and the practice is more common), there exist rear mudguards with specially sleeved joints to reduce their length in mere seconds. Similarly, front 'guards are made to detach quickly. If the fork needs turning to make the smallest package, headlights can foul the downtube. For some generally helpful Rinko packing tips, see: http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/BQ_rinko.pdf

Hmm. Cronometro makes a product called "The Nob" that fastens to a fork blade to simulate a handlebar for mounting lights. See: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.php#nob Minoura makes a similar product. However, the location further down the fork leg does expose the light to more wheel-spray than your method, Snoog'. I do recall some front reflectors made in the late 1970s used a bracket that attached to the brake bolt at the rear of the fork crown, then extended forward under the crown before popping upright to present the reflector. Perhaps something like that could be used, though perhaps less elegantly in the end.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:20:50 am by Danneaux »

snoogly

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 12:11:23 am »
Thanks Dan.  :)

Yes, I'd looked into mounts like the Nob, but as you say, mounting the light so low exposes it to spray. It would also be risky when manoeuvring through the pesky barriers that frequently impede the way on otherwise lovely  riverbank paths here in Japan. I could easily imagine the light getting snapped off ...

I do like the sound of that 70s bracket...

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 09:03:29 am »
Hello,
Take off the mudguard. Drill through the mudguard fixing hole to the front. Fit longer bolt and attach the lamp correctly!
Regards,
John
Regards,
John

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04:47 am »
Regards,
John

'Long bolt' through what? There is no hole on the front of the fork crown.

(By the way, John, do you have anger-management issues? Your tone seems a tad out of place on the usually genteel Thorn forums.)

Just trying to make a point in as few words as possible!

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:51 am »
Hello,
Regards,
John

^^^ This, but of course !!