Author Topic: converting hub version  (Read 10317 times)

tt2cycletours

Re: converting hub version
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 08:08:04 pm »
I was recently in touch with Thorn workshop about converting hub cap from rim to disc brake:

It now costs £135.
It is always better by bike!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 09:28:31 pm »
I'm guessing this is for the cap swap alone with the EX shifter already existing...or is it a cap swap and conversion from internal to external shifter? If the latter, that seems the deal of the century!  :)

Best, Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 12:55:31 am »
I made the disc-brake conversion from V-brakes on my Thorn Nomad Mk2 in April 2020. Since then I have ridden many kilometres including two fairly major tours (3-4 weeks each). The discs are hydraulic and have been great to ride with. Mounting with the front & rear pannier racks has worked fine; a 4-5mm spacer was fitted at the rear on the left side to space the rack out from the disc calliper (Tubes Cargo stay just conflicts with the brake hydraulic hose connection).

I had a standard Rohloff and got a new disc hub-cap fitted by a local reputable shop who are a Rohloff agent. It cost me $A400. All up the conversion cost me about $2,000 with the biggest cost being the new disc-fork for $1100. The SON28 dynohub cost me about $300 and the disc brakes were the lowest price for me - a set of Shimano SLX for about $150.

PH

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 10:16:12 am »
I'm guessing this is for the cap swap alone with the EX shifter already existing...or is it a cap swap and conversion from internal to external shifter? If the latter, that seems the deal of the century!  :)

Best, Dan.
One of the advantages of having such things done by SJS* is that they can use OEM parts rather than retail, there is a considerable price difference.  I can't recall what I paid without checking the invoice, it was a bargain, the complete job including hub cap was less than the retail price for the external gear mech.
Also - as already pointed out in this thread,  don't forget the include the price of a Rohloff specific rotor, currently from £40.

* Other service centres may offer the same, I've only dealt with SJS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 06:52:52 pm »
One of the advantages of having such things done by SJS* is that they can use OEM parts rather than retail, there is a considerable price difference.
<nods> That's a really good point, Paul. They do the same with their Brooks saddles with big discounts over retail when included as part of a build.

Best, Dan.