Author Topic: Planned tour in France  (Read 18138 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Planned tour in France
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 06:38:20 pm »
I will, however, take all the spokes currently installed in the wheels.
<nods> A good choice, Lewis, and will solve the storage problem as well.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »
Posting again, with a 'trial' photo . . .

Thorn Sherpa in vineyard, Jura, France, August 2015.

If this works, it will make it easier to post pictures of bike prepared for this tour . . .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 09:29:39 pm »
It works and displays properly, Lewis, and it is a delight to see your lovely machine displayed here. The upgrade to the Forum software removed the earlier restrictions on file size so bigger (higher resolution) photos will display.

However (it seems there are always "howevers" in life...) bigger files often do not display without scrolling except on larger screens and will more quickly eat up data allowances on mobile devices, and server storage space may eventually need to be expanded if large attachments become the norm.

For these reasons, it is still a good idea to resize attached photos if possible, but I understand that can be a daunting task on some devices.

All best wishes for a wonderful journey, Lewis! Looking forward to more about it and After.

All the best,

Dan.

Donerol

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 10:23:15 pm »
However (it seems there are always "howevers" in life...) bigger files often do not display without scrolling except on larger screens...

Indeed - my screen is fairly large, or at least seems so to me, at 2048 x 1152, but I have to scroll so much to see that picture that I can't really make sense of it. A shame, because it looks lovely judging by the thumbnail.

lewis noble

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »
Great . . .

I'm doing a trial load up tomorrow - will post a picture.

I've got a pretty good camera - Sony DSC RX 100 - very compact but with a large sensor for the camera size.  But the sheer convenience of these phone cameras and wifi is remarkable . . .

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 11:04:14 pm »
Here are some resized options...

Original (above) is 1.47MB in size and measures 2592x1456 pixels.

The (Large) below is 108KB in size and measures 1024x575 pixels. It looks fine on my PC with a 15.6in screen. I have to scroll around a bit to see it all on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Android phone in portrait or landscape modes.

The (Medium) below is 73KB in size and measures 800x449 pixels.

The (Small) below is 52.5KB in size and measures 640x360 pixels. This one I can view in its entirely on my smaller S4 in either portrait or landscape mode. It shows easily on my Note 4.

As I recall, you have a Mac, Lewis. To batch-resize your photos is pretty straightforward:

(1) Select all the images you want to resize.

(2) Right click (CTRL-click) on them and select “Open With Preview.”

(3) In Preview, go to Edit > Select All.

(4) Once all images are selected, go to Tools > Adjust Size.

(5) Enter the width or height value to resize your photos. If you select“Scale Proportionally”, the photo will be um, scaled proportionally.

(6) Save, close. Now you can create your Forum post, then click on the "Attachments and other options" link below the text box, choose "Attach" and navigate to where the resized photo is stored on you Mac, select it, and it will upload when your post is published.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:08:36 pm by Danneaux »

lewis noble

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 09:57:54 am »
Here is Sherpa, prior to loading up and making sure everything fits and works loaded. 530S frame, Rav 853 forks. XT chsinset, 165 cranks. 22/32/44 I think, 11-32 9sp cassette. 1.6 Supreme tyres, xl tubes. Patented wheelantiflop (TM) device installed. Specialzed BG saddle. Much frame padding! Paintwork looks so good I can't bear to think of train/ferry/lampost damage, but it will happen I know.

DT Swiss wheelbuild by sjsc.

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2016, 05:24:46 pm »
More photos . . . Comments later if I am on computer

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 05:42:25 pm »
Bike and pilot look ready for anything, Lewis! All good to go, and good wishes go with you. Take care, and may the winds be at your back.

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 07:00:25 pm »
I'm glad the photos came out, though wish I had had a more smiley face on . . . but it is reassuring to know that I can post photos as well as comments while away.

The last major tour I did was in 1967! Round the coast of Scotland, camping, b&b, whatever I could find.  On a Witcombe road bike I bought for £5 in a junk shop and learnt how to rebuild. I wish I had kept up my touring / distance cycling, but career, working abroad for a spell, children etc . . . .

So this is a real adventure for me, and after a period of apprehension, I am now looking fwd to it.  I have remembered some things from my old touring days ( . . secure panniers properly . . ), forgotten others (. . and close panniers properly . . )

To clarify the photos . . . the 'bar bag' is a Carradice bag, the smallest of the range.  Long straps make it fit easily, and I much prefer these sort of bags to the standard bar bag things. Yes, it takes longer to get in/ out, and to remove, but only a matter of seconds.  The bag weighs 1.5kg loaded, and contains spare tubes, tools, chain oil, pump, etc etc.

The Altura panniers (I've had them for years) have been reproofed, one side contains the tent and is the bag for stuff that will not hurt too much if it gets wet.  The tent will fit front==> back on the rack top, but the narrow Tubus Vega rack is not ideal for that.  If the tent gets soaked, I could put it there.  The other pannier bag contains clothes and is the 'dry' bag and bag to go into b&bs, hostels etc.

The Topeak underseat bag contains items that might be needed quickly - e.g. Hx key to turn bars if need be on train / ferry, strap to secure bike, sun cream, etc. The contents of that will change as the ride progresses and needs change. If I change plans and settle somewhere for day rides, it will revert to being the toolkit bag.  Tools - I've worked out exactly what I might need, and taken 'proper' tools of the right sizes.  I find multi-tools difficult as eyesight problems make it hard to see the details sometimes, especially if specs wet. 

On top of the rack is a supposedly waterproof bag (purchased by my wife in the back streets of Kathmandu - good name but origin unknown! - with camera, sunhat, etc. That is secured by an elastic strap, Avenir or something I think, hooked onto bolts I have fitted at the rack base.

In ready to ride mode, the Sherpa weighs 12.4 kg. Including rack, pedals, bottle carriers, guards etc.  That's less than most of the manufacturers weights on mainstream tourers. The combined weight of the load at the back end comes to 13 kg, inc tent, lock,etc.   I always tend to 'overpack' clothes, but I think I have got it about right.  The Sherpa just doesn't notice that load, and still steers and handles as sweetly as ever.

So here we go.  Thanks for the good wishes, Dan and everyone.

Lewis

silverdorking

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 11:08:23 pm »
One thing Lewis, lighten your load by leaving out your Three Lions, England replica shirt, particularly if you go anywhere near Marseille!
Bon voyage, I am sure you'll have a great time and cope admirably on this brilliant trip!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 04:09:59 pm »
Update relayed from Lewis...it would be a disservice to edit it...
Hello Dan

Only patchy free WiFi, and difficult to post from this phone . . .

Enjoying ride, good progress initially but unable to keep up with the serious distance roadie guys . . . So backed off and will do what I do best . . . plodding, talking as much as I can to les inhabitants, and doing whatever mileage I end up doing.

A shakedown tour would have been a good idea - I'm sure I have more stuff than I need, and should perhaps not have embarked on what is, in reality, a pretty long ride, without touring practice as well as riding training - but family commitments made that impossible.

And then, 2 days in, I developed a dental abscess! Pain, spitting blood and pus, emergency treatment in France (excellent), only now really getting going again.

No problems with Sherpa, faster than many other riders expect and as stable and predictable as ever - a big plus for me.

Feel free to post this . .

Regards

Lewis
All best wishes, Lewis!

Dan.

silverdorking

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 06:07:34 pm »
Rotten luck Lewis, hope you are feeling better in the dental department. We're having a lot of heavy rain here in UK. Hope you're missing out on this where ever you are!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »
Argh!
That's my biggest fear when i tour ;dental problems.
Not much can be done in preparation.
Touch wood, never had a problem myself. But thoughts with you.

Keep smiling.😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2016, 05:12:09 pm »
Argh!
That's my biggest fear when i tour ;dental problems.
Matt, I carry a package of DenTemp with me...useful for patching cavities and resetting crowns. A number of similar products can be found online at Amazon or at you local chemist's. I've also found it useful for covering the exposed roots of broken teeth.

I also toss in a tiny bottle of Anbesol, often prescribed for numbing the gums of teething babies. Same for oil of cloves...or a few cloves to chew on. They all help dental pain.

Don't forget to carry and use your toothbrush, paste, and dental floss, the last useful for myriad things including big sutures of person, panniers, and tire sidewalls.

Been there, done that while on tour. All the above can make Life much more comfortable till proper help is found.

Poor Lewis was dealing with infection...wise to seek help immediately.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:14:09 pm by Danneaux »