Author Topic: Planned tour in France  (Read 18142 times)

silverdorking

Re: Planned tour in France
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 07:46:59 pm »
Simple question, hopefully, to those who know France or understand radio transmission! As an inveterate radio 4 listener, I'm wondering how useful will my wee digital/FM receiver will be as I progress South from St Malo. If not a lot, I'll know to leave it behind!
Thanks in anticipation.

DAntrim

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 08:10:19 pm »

martinf

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 09:36:20 pm »
I live in South Brittany. I can still pick up World Service/Radio 4 on 198 khz long wave, the quality is OK most of the time (sometimes poor in certain weather conditions), but I can't pick up anything else from the BBC in reasonable quality by traditional radio. Not tried recently further south, but I imagine long wave reception must get very iffy the further you get from the transmitters in the UK.

lewis noble

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 11:55:18 am »
To bring people up to date on my planned St Malo / Nice ride. . . .

I'm leaving Sheffield on 13th June, arriving St Malo by ferry the following day.

The Sherpa is running better than ever it feels like to me . . . I've finally settled on a choice of saddle (specialized Body Geometry) and pedals (mks sylvan road) that suit me, rear gear and brake cables replaced, a dry / overtight hub bearing sorted, and I also put new external bearings on the bottom bracket.  Tyres / tubes / rims all ok, wheels running 100% true.  Drive train working well, wear well within limits, not broke so I'm not fixing it, set up / adjusted by someone who's good at that. 

As I mentioned at the beginning, this will be the longest tour I have ever done, and the first time I've cycle camped for . . . . decades.  I'm taking a v light tent, minimum of equipment, will camp or B & B depending on availability, weather, etc.

I've been collecting stuff together to make sure everything fits OK, instead of having a last minute rush as I head off for the train station.  I will be relatively lightly loaded for a Sherpa, but it just doesn't notice the weight in terms of handling.

I would welcome advice on spares / tools - long time since I got an extended ride kit together.

I plan to take -

2 tubes and puncture kit.
Tyre boot / patches (not taking a spare tyre - 99% will be on tarmac)
Chain power link / chain tool.
NOT taking a multi-tool; I'm not keen on them, because of eyesight / focussing problems, much prefer decent tools of the (limited range of) sizes I need.  Screwdrivers (e.g. to adjust v brakes) from a dismantled multi tool. 
Tyre levers. Also plastic lever to get tyres back on - easy on my tyres, but not always if I'm helping someone else.
Arno type straps to secure tent to rack, lock brake on, secure bike to railings and racks on ferry / in trains etc. And spare ones!
Cable ties.  Insulating tape.
Pump. Press gauge.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know! I'll be passing through a few large towns, but much of the time in rural areas.

Lewis

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 12:08:49 pm »
I always carry zip ties and rubber bands. Minimal weight and lots of uses.
Good list though.
Loire valley in the autumn was fantastic.
Great food and wines.
Good luck. Keep us up to date.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

DAntrim

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »
Tool list is great, add some duct tape and bungie straps - though as you taking the arno straps may not be needed, but so convenient to have and multiple uses.

martinf

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 08:13:14 pm »
On my last long trip, in addition to the tools/spares already listed I took :

Good quality 6” adjustable end wrench.
Crank puller.
2 x 5 mm Allen bolts with nuts and washers.
2 x 4 mm hex bolts with nuts.
Spoke key.
1 spoke nipple.
Spare spokes (taped to seat stay).
Spare chain.
Rags.      
Chain lubricant.                  
Small syringe of grease.   

I actually used :

- Chain tool, lubricant and rags when I needed to maintain the drive train or fit new chains.  Spare chain not really necessary, as easy to buy locally. I bought and wore out two other chains, getting through a total of 4, due to the sand and muck on some of the tracks I used, rainy weather for part of the time and the U-brake fitted to the bike (this tended to spray road dirt onto the chain). But I didn't need to touch the chain during the first 900 kms, on tarmac in dry weather.

- Pump and pressure guage. But not the spare tube and puncture kit, no punctures at all.

- Grease. When a pedal bearing started playing up - injection of grease (through a small hole drilled in the pedal cap) solved the problem till I got home and dismantled the pedal.

- Cruciform screwdriver for derailleur adjustments.

I came close to needing the spoke wrench, as I damaged the rear rim, but the wheel stayed true enough not to interfere with braking.

silverdorking

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »
Hi Lewis, I'm off from Hay on Wye tomorrow for a Brittany Ferry crossing Wednesday night for the same route. I popped into the 'Works' and picked up two spare pairs of their best 99p reading glasses. Taking all the tools in the world won't help me if I loose my glasses!

lewis noble

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 10:20:41 pm »
Good luck!!  Both on the main ride and the 2 days to Portsmouth . . . .

Yes, for many of us specs are an essential!!

I should have added chain lube to my list, by the way, some of you have mentioned that - I've got a small bottle I'll take.

We look fwd to hearing how you get on.

Lewis

silverdorking

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 10:30:00 pm »
Thanks For your previous help and good wishes! By the way I found downloadable gps files for 'France en Velo' on the Ride with GPS web site.  https://ridewithgps.com/users/723342

lewis noble

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:37 pm »
Something more on spares . . . .

My brother, who is pretty good on things mechanical and bicycular, suggests I take spare spokes, as I will be 'heavily loaded . . . '

My wheels are 32 h DT Swiss XR 425 rims, built and supplied by SJSC.  In the 2 years I have been riding on them, no problems at all, running 100% true, no sign of rim wear on brake tracks.  A strange choice of wheel for a Sherpa perhaps?  But it's what I went for and they give a very responsive and enjoyable ride.

I suspect that the urban riding, with speed bumps, potholes etc that I do puts more strain on the wheels than the relatively gentle riding on better French surfaces I will be doing.

In any case, I don't think I will be heavily loaded.  Credit card / B and B type touring - yes, I'll be taking a tent and sleeping bag, but the combined weight of them is 3kg.  No cooking gear. I will be using a bar bag (actually a v small Carradice saddlebag mounted on the bars) for the spares, tools etc - that weighs in at 1.6 kg all in - I haven't weighed the rest.

My inclination is NOT to take spokes, I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway, and would have to limp along to a bike shop.  And my understanding is that the DT Swiss wheels build into a light but strong wheel.  Interestingly, I don't think it is listed in the new Mega brochure . . . .

As usual, any observations welcome.

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »
Lewis,

I don't think you will be "heavily loaded" on this tour at the weights listed.

The wheels should be fine. You have (relatively) fat tires protecting 26in rims, and the wheels don't have a lot of use at this point and were well made, have proper tension, and still run true.

For what it is worth, I think you'll be fine. I have seen more wheels damaged when people who are unfamiliar with spoke replacement and truing...try to do so. You'll not be too far from a bike shop in any case, and could likely catch a ride if needed.

If you do decide to go with new spokes, be sure to also pack the appropriately sized spoke wrench.

All the best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:39 pm »
Thanks Dan - always good to get the advice I wanted to hear!!

lewis noble

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 03:35:49 pm »
So I don't think I'll be taking spare spokes.  I will, however, take all the spokes currently installed in the wheels.

Lewis

geocycle

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
I'm sure Dan's right about spokes.  Years ago I bought one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke-prod20155/ and it has been in my bag every since.  It might be useful one day although I suspect there is some skill needed to get it to work properly.