Author Topic: Rohloff handlebar solutions?  (Read 14823 times)

daviddd55

• 19500km Circuit of Australia 07/08
Rohloff handlebar solutions?
« on: April 12, 2007, 11:34:15 pm »
I've bought a Raven Tour with comfort bars, but would also like the option of an alternative hand position similar to that on a dropped-handlebar bike. Any ideas folks?

julk

Re: Rohloff handlebar solutions?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:11:46 am »
You can add inboard bar ends, the position they give is quite narrow and stretched out.

You can change to straight bars, add bar ends to to give alternative positions, and raise the stem to put the hand position at the same height.
However most straight bars have only a few degrees sweep, so you may not find them as comfortable in use.

These 'straight' bars are the only ones I have found with the same sweep as comfort bars and come with adjustable/removeable bar ends built on.
http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=1254

Lighting the blue touch paper and standing back, you could change to drops with all the opportunities that will present regarding Rohloff changer mounting and possibly having to change frame length.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:33 am »
Hi David,
If you are after a drop like position - why not fit a drop?  

There is a lot of opinion on this subject.  The majority view is that a flat bar must be used because the twist grip shifter cannot be fitted properly to a drop bar and that therefor gear use is diminished.  The minority view (me included) is that gear shifting is less important than a comfortable and aerodynamic position.

It is true that mounting a Rohloff shifter to a drop is not neatest solution (it looks odd) however I don't believe usability is affected much.  If you expect the majority of your riding to be on road and you would normally ride with drops then I would make the switch.  If you’re going off-road then a flat or comfort bar would be better.

Bottom line - a few people (on the list) that have switched to a drop bar.  As far as I am aware no one has switched the other way.

If you do decide to switch you may find you need to change frame size SJSC will do this FOC if you are still within the 100 day period - top service.  Like I said earlier there is a LOT of opinion on this subject, it is worth the time to search thoroughly through this list there is some excellent info.

All the best

Stuart

daviddd55

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:24:31 pm »
Thanks guys, but I'm happy with the straights (comforts) as I will spend most time in that position, especially when offroad. The brakes are much easier to get at for one thing. I've given this a lot of thought, and maybe I won't miss drops as much as I thought, but I want to have a more streamlined alternative for e.g. headwinds. Ideally the same width and position as the hoods on my drops. I may have to cobble something non-standard together, but just exhausting all the ready-made solutions, keep 'em coming!

freddered

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 12:31:12 pm »
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/freddered/RavenFlatsGPS.jpg

I had Cane Creek Bar ends that don't show up on photo.  They are very comfy and make it easier to 'honk' up hills than normal bar ends.

The carbon bar-ends get you tucked in a bit (like riding on the hoods).

daviddd55

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:10:26 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddered

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/freddered/RavenFlatsGPS.jpg

I had Cane Creek Bar ends that don't show up on photo.  They are very comfy and make it easier to 'honk' up hills than normal bar ends.

The carbon bar-ends get you tucked in a bit (like riding on the hoods).

I like the carbon bar ends, except they don't give one the forearm 'rest' that drops would. Now if you could get longer ones that might be the ticket. I bet they're available somewhere. must have a look.
I like the little stem bracket for the computer etc too - where'dye get that Fred?

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 02:33:06 pm »
daviddd5, the inboard carbon bar ends are OK into the wind and do help aerodynamics by 1-2mph at say 15mph.  I don't use them much as they give less control, but they are a useful change of hand position.  It's true that you don't have arm support although I do feel quite stretched out on the TRT relative to my last bike.  You'd also have to think about bar bags and maps interfering with long bar ends -as you can see from my pics the map fits nicely underneath the bar ends.  With the ergon grips I find I have 2-3 useful positions to vary things a bit anyway.  The one thing I miss is not having decent bar ends for hills, so I just sit back and use the gears more! See here for my set up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46905038@N00/

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:03:57 pm by geocycle »

daviddd55

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 09:44:55 pm »

freddered

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 10:50:22 am »
Accessory Bar is from SJSC

daviddd55

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 11:03:19 pm »
I've ordered a pair of carbon bar ends - bit pricey but hey ho! I have turned the comfort bars quite a bit back on my bike and I find the new position much better, I think with inboard bar ends I'll be fine. I had a problem with the Rohloff gear shift though when trying to turn it, one of the 2 grub screws that fix it to the bars has rounded - it was incredibly tight despite using a good quality allen key. I may have to send the bars back to SJSC (:-<)

ahconway

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 02:01:01 am »
I found the carbon Thorn extensions to be too stubby... the ends put too much pressure on the center of my hands.

I really like the X-Lite bar ends, which give me a good range of positions.

See http://homepage.mac.com/ahconway/cycling/PhotoAlbum20.html for pix.

Andrew
www.velofellow.com

daviddd55

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 09:47:54 am »
There are so many variables it'll take me a while to get really comfy, however I've already found I can almost replicate the arm position with the comfort bars that I had on the drops, so just need some alternative positions and some fine tuning now. I tilted the comfort bars back at least 90 deg and can even go a bit further yet, but for a problem in that I can't undo one of the grub screws that clamp the Rohloff gear control to the bars - just too tight, I've had top strip the bars out and send back to Thorn. This further-back position lets me get my head down much further, and there's considerably less 'sit-up-and-beg' feel about the bike. However time will tell. I guess after 50 years on drops it'll take a while to get used to straights.

munroad

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 01:06:01 pm »
What about the three part Thorn special rohloff drop handlebars that feature in the components catalogue on the Thorn website? Seems a good solution to me, but a bit expensive at £100 and scary if they all fall apart whilst whiizzing along. Why don't they feature in the specification sheets on the rohloff bikes?

daviddd55

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 06:31:05 pm »
Thanks for replies. At the moment I'm pretty happy with the setup as far as I have used it, here it is:
I really like the stubby carbon bars, extremely comfortable, almost sensuous to hold (need to get out more lol), and the position is very comfortable too with my hands some 10" forward of the stem, much as in a TT position only much more comfortable. I've turned the comfort bars back around 90 degrees and the reach / comfirt seems good all roundm but especially on the stubbies - I am drawn to keep my hands there somehow. Please ignore top of stem - I haven't got around to cutting yet!

I'm now wondering if I should splash out on some Carbon Comfort bars, think I'll start a new thread about this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:32:19 pm by daviddd55 »

sloe

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 11:36:19 pm »
You'll need to do something about that wallpaper....