Author Topic: Noseless Saddles (again)  (Read 4055 times)

Templogin

Noseless Saddles (again)
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:19:02 pm »
I want to try a noseless saddle and am looking for a recommendation.  I am looking for the two adjustable pad types.  I would buy the Spongy Wonder from Canada except that the import/handling charges would be hideous.

I already have Brooks B17 saddles, a Rivet Pearl and other saddles so no need to preach the wonders of those.  I just want to try a noseless saddle, but a decent one!

Thanks

Andy

Andre Jute

Re: Noseless Saddles (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:08:01 am »
There's a noseless saddle I can recommend, that in its time was generally considered several cuts above all others. I rode it for several years until I switched to a Brooks, because the thick leather of the Brooks is just less bother than a saddle covered in cloth or whatever.

The good saddle is the Cheeko90, also sold under several other names. It looks like those small metal pan seats you used to see on tractors half a century and more ago, but is made of plastic and covered in a material that resembles MBTex (a whipcord cloth used in Mercedes in the 1970s and 80s) in all but durability. Mine wore the cloth out in about 6000km, which is what was wrong with the execution of a great ergonomic idea: they mistook their market as incidental cyclists (who would be comfotable but never wear the cloth out) whereas a lot of more constant cyclists with an engineering bent could see this was a good seat to try. The underpinnings, however, are of excellent, lasting quality, on mine at least (the one without the rear lamp).

When I discovered I couldn't buy another one new, I seriously considered going to the bother and expense of having mine recovered in leather because...

IT IS JUST PLAIN OUTRIGHT THE MOST COMFORTABLE SEAT I'VE EVER SAT IN ON A BICYCLE. It is simply basically easier and more comfortable to sit on than a bicycle saddle (even a well-broken-in Brooks) and it further allows the rider to move in ways that a normal saddle does not. I defy anyone not to find a comfortable seat on it. That's what makes it worth hunting down and restoring if all you can get is one with worn cloth.
Here are three photos Dan found, including a photo of the metal underpinnings, which do not give you as much fore and aft adjustment as you might expect as the seat is intended to be fitted with its front edge in line with seat tube and post. Nor do all Cheeko have the built-in rear lamp.

Good luck with finding a good one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:31:36 am by Andre Jute »

Templogin

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:33:21 am »
That is certainly one that I have not come across, and interestingly there is no centre "gap".  I can see why you considered having it re-covered with leather.

One regularly hears that the bike has barely changed in design overall because it is a fantastic design, but to me the saddle is one area where things could be improved upon massively, however the way most people seem to be happy with their saddles makes me think that I am very much in a minority.  In my days as a motorcyclist I didn't find the saddle of the supposed continental mile munching Honda Pan European ST1100 comfortable enough on long rides, so ended up with the supreme comfort of the saddle on my next bike a Honda Goldwing GL1500.  I am hard to please.

It looks like Cheeko became Revla.

LATER ON - I have decided to try a Moonsaddle  http://www.moonsaddle.net/

MUCH LATER ON - The moonsaddle arrived from CycleSense, but it has a manufacturing fault where one cheek will be noticeably higher that the other due to one "wing" having a convex lump and the other having a concave dip.  I have asked Cyclesense for a replacement rather than a refund and they have been great about it.  I have sent them a picture and they are going to ship out an advance replacement.  I am not meaning to advertise someone else hear, but I would have bought this from SJS if they had stocked them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:14:48 pm by Templogin »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:43:18 am »
Really glad to hear the replacement is already on the way, and very much looking forward to your report.

While I myself am very pleased to ride B.17 saddles, the most-asked questions by friends and acquaintances relate to "more comfortable" saddles, so I'm always open to learning about alternatives.

Best,

Dan.