Author Topic: Recycling Cycle parts  (Read 12794 times)

rdbdickson

Recycling Cycle parts
« on: December 14, 2003, 08:41:09 pm »
When, as inevitably will happen, bits of bikes or entire bikes are beyond pedalling use, is there anyone out there who recycles the metals involved?  Given the use of chromium, titanium, vanadium, molybdenum and other exotic elements in bike construction, has the size of the worldwide cycle industry and concerns for the environment made this economically viable already or have I missed something?

Chris Land

Re: Recycling Cycle parts
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 09:59:07 am »
quote:
Originally posted by rdbdickson

When, as inevitably will happen, bits of bikes or entire bikes are beyond pedalling use, is there anyone out there who recycles the metals involved?  Given the use of chromium, titanium, vanadium, molybdenum and other exotic elements in bike construction, has the size of the worldwide cycle industry and concerns for the environment made this economically viable already or have I missed something?

The short answer, to the best of my knowledge, is no.  The majority of bikes are just recycled whole as it isn't worth breaking them down into the separate parts and contituent metals.  The recycling depot across the road from us just stick 'em all in one big skip then do something to get steel out I believe.

One of the reasons it's worth recycling bikes yourself - split into parts until everything is worn out etc...

rdbdickson

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 09:03:06 pm »
Thanks Chris - seems like yours is the only reply!  I do the same: local supermarket skip has  a 'metals including foil' so worn out chain and chainwheels and spokes etc all disappear in there.  My WAP bike (Wing and a Prayer) is an all-steel machine (12+ years old and has had two rebuilds with a Hammerite paint job) which suffers in the winter salt spray - but is reliable over the 30-40 miles per day which I cover.  It weighs in at 30lb plus payload but my route is relatively level.  Steel parts are relatively inexpensive without the rarer metal elements.  I'm suprised in some ways that they don't wear out quicker.  What is the typical mileage life expectancy for components such as tyres, chain etc?  Chain usually lasts 7-10000 miles with care and tyres (Conti top touring 26 x 1 3/8") turn in around 10-15000 road miles.

Pedaldog

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 09:34:53 pm »
There are a few projects that recycle bikes and do them up to send to third world countries.
Will try and get the names of some but Roger the Hilldodger in Leicester is a good bloke to start with.
try his website at http://www.cyclemagic.org.uk/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 09:39:21 pm by Pedaldog »

Chris Land

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 05:03:10 pm »
Yep - we're also setting a recycling scheme up in Coventry with the idea of providing low cost reclaimed bikes to the local community.  Problem is low demand. In the face of cheap (but useless) full-suss MTBs in the local supermarkets, how many people are willing to pay £30 for a half decent reclaimed touring bike?  With those that can't be reclaimed and reused, the metals are hard to separate so the question is how best to deal with leftovers in an environmentally friendly way?

rdbdickson

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 07:38:14 pm »
Thanks for the comments. I certainly recycle my own parts to near extinction as I indicated, sometimes to the edge of safety but being basically steel, have no hesitation then committing them to the supermarket metal skips.  What of, for example, aluminium frames or their derivatives too old and unsafe to recycle to a community project?  What of the accident written-off titanium frame which must have some higher economic scrap value?  It seems a shame that by being environmentally friendly during their working lives, bicycle materials can then end up adding to the problem which they formerly helped us to avoid.  Several car manufacturers now tote their products as recyclable so I'm pretty sure that it must be only the economics which stand in the way for this market.
As for tyres, I'm not even going down that line of debate!

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 08:38:01 pm »
"As for tyres, I'm not even going down that line of debate!"

Whale condoms?  The She-Whale prefers a heavily treaded off road design for maximum pleasure.

rdbdickson

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 10:44:23 am »
Excellent idea: only mine tend to be smooth if not threadbare when chucked out so not much use to them then....
What about old stick-on tyres - extreme care with the adhesives?

LycraMan

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 09:28:07 pm »
Didnt relise you could recycle bike parts

Plastic and GRP isnt recyclable is it? and lets face it if your stupid enough to pay £200 for a set of pedals. money or recycling oviuosly isnt of paramount importance

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 11:02:15 am »
Hi
as this discussion has a green tint, thought i'd point out my post for a delivery trike (well, part of one!)

http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=359

patineto

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 06:40:30 am »
How about this

I'm being RE-ussing Byicycle parts for years in many diferent projects...

this is one good example and Bicycle Rack made out of RE-cycle bicycle parts

How apropiate

First what I do with it...Twobikes, a passanger is all good.

the bend tubes are old italmanubri road bike handlebars, the corss manber MTB bars,,the rest mostlly Rhode gear cuplers

the Bottom side is held by two "Compression struts" made out of 24" bmw rims..the Plate I hand drill and bend on a Hydrolic brake..

patineto

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 06:47:41 am »
another example,,,

My old bicycle shop when I live in Colombia(many years ago

The counter was adorn with bicycle sprockets,,just for artistic NONE Mecanical porpuses.

In this one I use Old metal plates to make a Bicycle "Jig" so i can make some frames.

is Impossible to see from the Picture but the TV stand was control ussing bicycle chainrings, sprokets and chains to provide a Full range of adjusment...Fun FuN FUN

Not exactlly what you were asking for, but a good example of How ANYBODY can make Honor to the beloved Bicycle machine..

many more examples just ask.