Author Topic: Altura pannier feet  (Read 4666 times)

Matt2matt2002

Altura pannier feet
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:29:27 am »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:37:35 am by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Altura pannier feet
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:50 pm »
Matt,

Among US suppliers, I would probably use either a beta-cyanoacrylate in gel form (a thicker "super glue" with longer working time, gap-filling ability, and capable of bonding leather, fabric, and wood in addition to the usual list of surfaces)
...or...
McNett's SeamGrip, a specialized adhesive that remains rubbery to some degree after curing and sticks like pine tar.

The choice would depend on the plastic. If it felt a little rubbery or waxy, I'd go with the SeamGrip.

I'm not sure this product is available in your locale, but I feel sure it would work if applied, then covered with waxed paper under a clamp or weight (bed post leg?) overnight. The waxed paper prevent any squishout from sticking to the clamp.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:44:02 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »
I do not know if Shoe Goo is available where you are, but I like it for a lot of things.  It is a viscous liquid, about the same viscosity of honey, but after application it rapidly starts losing some of its volatiles and leaves behind a rubbery material that is similar in hardness and stiffness to a rubber shoe sole.  I have applied it to a lot of shoe soles to extend their life.  I also have used it to glue plastic parts onto things, and it sounds like that is what you are trying to do.  After it hardens, it has shrank to about a third to half of its original volume, suggesting that about half of it is volatile.  I store the remaining in a glass jar to help prevent the tube from drying out.  While looking for a link to show this, I discovered that it also is available in black, I have always bought a 3.7 oz tube in clear as that is all I saw in stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Shoegoo-110231-Shoe-Adhesive-Clear-1-Fl-oz/dp/B008AF1NG2/ref=pd_sim_468_4

I have also used seam grip to glue stuff.  (Which Dan also recommended.)  Once a tube is opened, it often only takes a few months for the remainder to harden within the tube.  After opening, I store the tube of remaining glue in a glass jar in the freezer to make it store longer.  This hardens to a softer more flexible material than the Shoe Goo.
http://www.rei.com/product/603034/gear-aid-seam-grip-seam-sealer

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:34:57 pm »
Thanks folks.
All good advice
McNett Seam grip is sold here in UK so I have ordered a tube from eBay.

The ' foot' is right on the curved bottom of the pannier so I will rig something up to go inside the bag and take the pressure.

Out of interest, why don't my pictures show up as pictures?
I saved them as usual in Google+.

Past pictures have been fine.

Thanks again chaps

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »
Out of interest, why don't my pictures show up as pictures?
I saved them as usual in Google+.

Past pictures have been fine.
The showed up fine for me earlier when I clicked on the included URLs, Matt. Now they don't connect, which suggests they have been moved in some way at the source (Google+). By chance, did you move them to another directory?

I do see they are not contained within the usual html embedded image tags, which look like this without the spaces I inserted to make them display as characters rather than code: [ img ]  [ / img ]

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:42:12 pm »

Thanks Dan
I had used the incorrect tags