Author Topic: Experience or opinions on these two batteries for Bafang BBS01 350W?  (Read 3287 times)

Andre Jute

Anybody have any experience of or opinions on the choice between these two batteries:

36V 14.5Ah Lithium Ion Frame Battery 29E Samsung Cells + 2A Li Ion Charger
http://eclipsebikes.com/145ah-lithium-frame-battery-samsung-cells-p-1104.html
This one has a USB port.
£280.

36V 14.5Ah Lithium Ion Frame Battery 29E Samsung Cells + 2A Li Ion Charger
http://eclipsebikes.com/145ah-lithium-frame-battery-samsung-cells-p-1119.html
No USB.
£275

Whichever one I choose is for use with a Bafang BBS01 350W centre motor. Experience of either, or opinion about my choice welcomed.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:23:16 pm by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Experience or opinions on these two batteries for Bafang BBS01 350W?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:09:51 pm »
Andre,

Assuming equality otherwise, I would go with the option of the USB port -- because I have standardized my gadgets' power supplies and charging needs on USB 2.0 standards of 5vdc @ 500mA. This means while on-tour, I can recharge my AA and AAA Eneloop batteries, my electric shaver, and either power outright or (re)charge the batteries for my GPS, SteriPen Classic water purifier, my smartphone, batteries for my wearable LED headlight, my font and rear LED blinkys, etc.

If you have no such needs, I would still go for the USB capability so you can (re)charge your pedal-pals' phones if needed while on shorter day rides.

It looks like the non-USB model includes a charger the USB model does not. Do you presently have a charger that will work with either of these batteries?

Is fitment to the bike essentially the same for both?

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:21:14 pm »
They both have chargers, Dan. I'd never buy such a dangerous battery without its dedicated charger.

Mounting frames for both will somehow have to be kludged onto the bike but the top model has a frame slotted along its entire length for use with bottle cage mounts (which is how my current battery is mounted) whereas the lower battery's frame will need holes or slots drilled and aligned.

In fact I thought both had USB ports which was why I shortlisted them but the vendor assures me only the top one is so blessed. I do have a use for a USB port: extending the range of my heart rate monitor, of which the Polar H7 chest belt/sender is self-powered but the display/controller is my iPhone, the battery of which is wiped in only a few hours on Bluetooth, even the low energy Bluetooth 4, so a USB on the bike battery will be handy in maintasining the usability of a mobile that doubles as an emergency phone. (I was recently looking into smartwatches that take your heartrate by a green lamp flashing against your wrist but there are difficulties with getting that reading into any of my software, or indeed almost any software. I think that in six months or a year, all the peripherals to make smart watches useful may have caught up.)

There's more: Besides the USB, the top battery has an on/off switch and an externally accessible fuse, as well as a very desirable 28A controller (100kph anyone, even if not for long?), none of which the bottom battery offers.

It's starting to look like all the bottom battery has going for it, considering that the price difference is almost zero and the batteries are within 5mm of each other in size, is a more integrated, smoother cosmetic design.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:26:22 pm by Andre Jute »

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:27:00 am »
... 100kph ...

Andre, this point alone should make your decision easy. :)

- DaveS

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:25 am »
... 100kph ...

Andre, this point alone should make your decision easy. :)

Heh-heh!