Author Topic: Dreaming of Touring, Few Questions! All Opinions Greatly Appreciated!  (Read 13264 times)

naiveclone

First off, a little background so you all understand the slightly odd position i'm in.

In a couple of months i'm going to be effectively homeless. That is to say, without a home/room to call my own. I can certainly stay with friends or my parents for a while, I've even been offered a room in my friends new flat in Glasgow, so i'll always have a roof over my head - there's no worry there. The house i'm staying in now and have been living in for twenty-two years is being sold because my parents have recently fallen out. They each own half, and neither want to stay here and nor do I (it's in a remote area, but the house is lovely, Scottish Highlands north of Inverness) so after a lot of grief and headache they've decided to do it up a bit and sell it.

This leaves me without anywhere to live but with a perfect opportunity to go out and see some more of the world. I'll get a little bit of the money when the house is sold. I'm sure you can see where this is going. The books 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' by Laurie Lee and Paulo Coelho's 'The Alchemist' spring to mind.

No job. No House. No plans. I'm effectively free to do whatever, and cycling around at a leasurely pace living from and around my bicycle seems like a wonderful solution as to where to go from here. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos of peoples trips which all seem incredible. I've read up on the realities of bicycle touring and it even when people say it was hard and miserable, they never speak of regret. I'm no stranger to camping though, at least.

Obviously, the foundation of any trip by bicycle is the bike you're on. Lots of people say that you can tour on any bike that you can fit racks and panniers on, but the consensus is largely that the better the bike you have the more enjoyable your time will be. The difference between getting from A to B and getting from A to B with a big smile on your face. I'd really prefer the latter.

So! I've done a lot of research on these touring specific bicycles which I knew nothing about just a week or so ago, and have ended up here at Thorn and am so glad that I have. I want a bike that was reliable, strong and without any unnecessary bells and whistles. I want a bike that's suited to all kinds of terrain, capable of dirt tracks and pavement both. A bike to take me round the world if need be.

Perhaps most importantly, I want a bike that will feel like a friend. I want a bike i'll love! and I think I may just have found it in the Thorn Sherpa as it seems to meet all my requirements and more. But I would very much like some input from you guys. Is £1,300 worth it for me, someone so inexperianced? Would such a bike be wasted on me? Have I missed out on another bike that you think would perhaps be better? Anything that comes to mind i'll certainly take on board.

Bare in mind I have literally none of the equipment I'll need. No tent, panniers... anything. I'll probably be buying everything new and expect it to cost me at least £2,000 in all. I'll be selling that electric guitar that's gathering dust anyway, haha.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:13:06 pm by naiveclone »

ians

Re: Dreaming of Touring, Few Questions! All Opinions Greatly Appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:37:25 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your situation is a sad one but - as you say - it's an opportunity to do something really memorable.  So go for it.

As for the choice of bike - others will shortly chip in  - there are lots of great bikes out there, but you won't go far wrong with a Thorn.

I currently own a Sherpa and it's a great bike.  A couple of years ago I sold my Raven Tour to someone who was cycling to New Zealand.  He's in SE Asia now and the only thing that has failed is the Brooks saddle.

The Raven Tour was probably about the most comfortable bike I've even owned - just perfect for me - and I am a big fan of Rohloff as well.  When I came to buy the Sherpa, Thorn had rationalised the frames sizes and I couldn't get one quite the same size as the Raven Tour.  I've fiddled about with stems and seat posts and it's now the Sherpa is a good enough fit for what I want to do with it.  But I do miss the Rohloff.

Make no mistake - the Sherpa is more than good enough for what you want - and I love mine.  If you are convinced by the Rohloff arguments, but can't stretch your budget, think about a secondhand one.

Good luck and do come back with more questions.

Ian

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »
I would say, the more you are a novice, the more it makes sense to get a top-notch bike like the Sherpa. At least, that's the philosophy I used in getting my Nomad! I am still a novice, really! People who are mechanical wizards can tweak and tune flawed bikes and make them work better than like-new. With a Sherpa, it won't need tweaking. Well, ok, you need to fiddle with saddle height/tilt & a bit of handlebar angle. But you can just get on that bike and go.

Really, the foundation of a trip by bicycle is the rider! The real key is mental attitude. Stay curious, attentive, responsive, to the world around you, to your equipment, to yourself.

Post us some photos and stories along your journey!

Jim

StillOld

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »
I can only speak from an old guys perspective who started touring last year....but like you was a keen camper. I looked at lots of bikes and went for a Thorn Nomad.

I won't say it's better than any other model because I can't compare them (short on experience). What I will speak out for is the Rohloff. Find the money for one. It made my trip a joy.

Someone will quite rightly defend the derailleur in a moment  ;D but it's the future, and it's here now!

As for tents find a two person one......you will probably know what it's like in a miniscule one person tent but to hide in a decent sized tent with room for luggage is a must in my book. The ability to remove the outer and sleep in hot climes if you are heading for one, and the room to cook in a vestibule if inclement.

Lots of goodies/toys out there, spend wisely on good gear and reap the benefits.

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »
Welcome first of all,
well let me see the rohloff if u have money to burn  yeah the rohloff would be a good choice .but give me shimano deore 9 speed any day  105 sti shifters , good set of hand built wheels  36 spoke on deore hubs and your away in a hack.the sherpa is a fantastic touring bike (btw it takes 600 wheels ).
your £2000 wont be long disappearing i can guarantee u that much .
but if u buy quality it will be money well spent .

anyway good luck sure hope all works out for you ,im taking it your a young dude so yeah enjoy life while you can u only pass this way but once.
remember the alamo.

jags.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:02:44 pm »
On the bike, there are a couple personal preference issues.  First, some people for touring prefer flat bars (upright) and others prefer drop bars (think, racing bike handlebars).  You need to decide which you would want before you buy.

Second, some people tour with very light weight, but most people I have seen touring carry four panniers, sometimes a handlebar bag, and usually a bag on top of the rear rack.  If you would do it like most, you need a pretty solid bike to handle that kind of weight.

I met a gal several years ago that was about 70 or 80 percent complete with her around the world tour.  She started in the UK, went through Europe, was in Eastern Europe when her bike and all her gear was stolen.  It was high end expensive equipment.  She did not have a lot of money, so she bought what she could and continued on through Asia, to west coast of North America.  I am in central USA, that is where I met her.  I would not have wanted to tour more an a few hundred miles on her bike, but she was doing well with a low budget rigid frame mountain bike.

I met another gal that was in year seven of her big trip.  Started in South Africa which was her home, rode through Africa, Europe, Asia (including China), Australia, back to Asia, Japan, Canada, and I met her on the west coast of USA.  She estimated her bike had 100,000 km on it.  She said most components on it had been replaced several times, her tent with a couple bends in the tent poles was two years old.  The attached two photos are of her and her bke.  I would never have picked a mountain bike with an air suspension front fork for a trip like that, but that is what she had.  The bike was covered with stickers on where she had been.

For bike touring I like to have a handlebar bag that I can unclip from my bike in seconds.  That has my valuables and whenever I go into a restaurant or store, the handlebar bag is hanging over my shoulder.  My point is that keep your valuables with you at all times.  I have never bothered to bring my valuables into a shower in a dry bag with me when at a campground shower or hostel shower, but I have heard of people that do that.  My point is that you will probably have some of your stuff stolen at some time, figure out how to make sure that you don't lose it all.

This website has lots and lots of photos of touring bikes, you click on a small photo to see a larger version, it might give you an idea on what is out there and what others are doing:  http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded

Good luck.

naiveclone

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 03:22:09 pm »
Wow! Thank you all so much for your replies. I never expected so many so soon but as i'm coming to learn, you bicycle touring guys are an uncommonly personable and helpful lot.

I hadn't considered a Rohloff as although they seem like a great investment, my budget wont stretch that far. Honestly I wasn't even aware such an invention existed before looking into bicycle touring.

I'm 24 years old, jags. 'Remember the alamo' cracked me up.

I also hadn't thought about a two person tent, but that makes good sense to have room to put baggage for sure.

Here's another question for you all. With a big change coming up ahead of me in terms of lifestyle, there's a certain tinge of fear and apprehension that comes along with it. The romanticism of cycling around the world certainly has a huge pull to it, but the reality is that my feelings are constantly flip flopping between great enthusiasm and worry i'm being crazy and will waste my money on a bike i'll never use or that something terrible will happen along the way.

I believe in making the most of my life. I'm sure working a job for a flat i don't really want would be a waste of my time, and that this is the best opportunity i've ever had to go and actually have an adventure of my own, actually see the world rather than letting it pass me by.

But the fear of the unknown is real. Have any of you felt the same way, and have any advice on overcoming it when it comes to call?

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »
i guess that fear is always there but if you go looking for trouble your sure to find it ,you'll be grand fear not as the man said if your kind to people they will be kind back...

just on the gear thing don't go buying rubbish u get what you pay for.
ortlieb pannier are the best doesn't matter the model all great.
tubus racks are excellent light and strong.
brooks b17 saddle once broken in your arse will thank u for it.(but take the sudocream anyway) ;)
shimano  mountain bike shoes clipless are excellent.
check out Corrine Dennis cycle ware.
Tent i wish u luck buying a tent that fits all your needs .
your going to need good lights dynamo would be my choice.
exped sleeping matt are class ,alpkit do great sleeping bags  at great prices  (down)
i hope your writing all this info down   ;D ;D

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »
Here is a good book about fear: http://www.amazon.com/Other-Survival-Signals-Protect-Violence/dp/0440508835/

Fear is like an alarm bell or maybe like the "check engine" light on an automobile. You definitely do not want to ignore or suppress fear! But you don't want it to rule your life either. It it just a sense of danger. Taking risks or doing things that involve danger, you pretty much can't live a life without some risk or danger! But you don't want stupid risk or danger, either!

When you are contemplating doing a dangerous thing, the first consideration should be the goal. What are you striving to achieve? If the goal is important enough to justify the risks involved, well, ok! People die taking selfies to post on facebook. That sure seems like a goal that fails the test!

Next - are there ways to work toward the goal that avoid the worst dangers? Look at various strategies and scenarios and try to see which one minimizes the potential damage.

If you're contemplating a big bike tour... really the risks are not too severe for the most part. What is your goal? That's where I would be focusing, if I understand your situation. Use the bike ride to connect to the people and places. You could ride around different farming regions and help with farm work to make some money and learn about agriculture and then eventually you could settle down with your own olive grove or whatever.

jags

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 04:12:43 pm »
 ;) great post jim wise words indeed.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:20:02 pm »
... the fear of the unknown is real. Have any of you felt the same way, and have any advice on overcoming it when it comes to call?

Everyone has fear.  Should you quit your old job to get a new one?  Should you move to a different place hundreds or thousands of miles (or kms) away?  Should you marry someone?  Or, should you change spouses, and how often?

If you have a backup plan, perhaps some money that your parents hold for you if you suddenly decide you want air fare or train fare to come home, having a backup plan can reduce stress and fear.  I know people that have spent months when in their twenties in foreign countries, others that never went anywhere.  Some people are better adapted to one of those groups, others more adapted to the other.

When things go wrong, and they will, force yourself to smile and say to yourself one more lesson learned.  Then move on.

in4

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 05:07:08 pm »
How tall are you ( none philosophical question, honest!)
Here's a Sherpa on ebay if you are around 5 10 - 6 ft

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161968609642?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

naiveclone

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 06:06:06 pm »
No way! Im 5'11! and he's selling the panniers too! Wow. There's an awful lot of interest in it, and no wonder. £501 at the time of this post, what a steal... 18 days left. Thanks for showing me! I never thought to look on eBay, what are the chances.

jags

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »
it says buy it now  ;)
it has deore 9 speed on it a good service and it's worth every penny i reckon.

naiveclone

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:10 pm »
Ah so it does! How important is the sizing to get right? I'm 5'11 like I said, but on the Thorn site they seem to go really hard on making the bike the perfect size, taking all sorts of measurements as you must have done yourself!

Also, could you explain about the 9 speed?

(I like the idea of the bike already having been all over the world on long tours, almost as if it knows the way and will keep me straight, haha)

*I sent the guy selling it an email asking about sizing and wether or not I can arrange for it to be picked up for delivery. Seems the universe could be on my side about the touring idea? Not to mention you guy :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:47:43 pm by naiveclone »