Author Topic: Bottom Brackets  (Read 8561 times)

il padrone

Bottom Brackets
« on: February 10, 2016, 03:37:18 am »
Currently don't need one, and unlikely to for some time, but I was just looking up some stuff about them, and discovered that no-one seems to stock any of the venerable Shimano UN-73 internal sealed cartridge BBs. There are still the UN-55, and UN-26 available. The UN-73 (previously UN-72) was always the BEST, and has given me service of about 20 years. Guess that is a loser for Shimano - not enough regular repeat sales. Consumable bike parts are always better for business  >:(

Does anybody know any more about supplies of these? It is likely that sometime in the next few years I may need to replace my wife's BB, and in some 15 years or so replace my own. Disturbing that I might be reduced to relying on these crap external BBs.

jags

Re: Bottom Brackets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:59:20 pm »
SPA Cycles maybe.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »
I just did a google search, found an internet forum post from 2007 that said they were going to stop making them.  Since it is now 2016, good luck finding some new old stock.

I suspect that the demise of square taper is the reason for discontinuing.  I am still using square taper on every bike, except a couple 40 year old bikes.  I have no plans to change to a different system.  But Shimano and most other component manufacturers don't like investing in top quality components of what they consider a dated design when they want to sell a newer design instead.

I am using UN55 on my Nomad, but I probably have less than 10k miles on that bike, so not a hard test yet. 

Most of my derailleur bikes (including Sherpa) have Campy since I am running Campy cranks and they have a slightly different taper than Shimano.  So, my Shimano bottom bracket experience is quite limited.

I have seen good comments on SKF on the internet, but do not have first hand experience.  At that price, they better be good.

A friend speaks highly of his Phil, but I think he is buying cheaper bottom brackets for new builds.

I do not know if Velo Orange is considered a good one or not, but some of their stuff is quite good.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-bottom-brackets-hollow-axle-alloy-cups.html

I bought a used cup and cone bottom bracket, if my existing UN55 goes out, I plan to switch to the cup and cone.  But, some of the spindle bearing surfaces are pitted, so that experiment might not last long.  After that, I will probably just stay with UN55, but if I suddenly get an urge to spend money then maybe the Velo Orange.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:01:39 pm by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »
I've had good luck with Phil Wood internal/square taper bottom brackets. >28,000mi on one, >32,000mi on another.

When I found Shimano external/outboard bottom brackets did not last so long in my service, I again selected Phil Wood and have been happy so far.

In the past, I've had really good luck with Tange Seiki sealed JIS square-taper units, and found they lasted a very long time. They made some of the former high-end Shimano and Sugino (75) units under contract. IRD-branded Tange units are good, also:
http://www.interlocracing.com/bottom-brackets/quad-bottom-brackets
IRDs come in various grades, but their top-line Defiant model carries a 10-year warranty: http://www.interlocracing.com/bottom-brackets/defiant-bottom-bracket

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:05:28 pm »
I can understand the loyalty of some to Phil and Royce, but today bottom brackets are so good, they've become a generic item. You can see it in the way the fashionable makers keep inventing axle "standards" that don't work and soon are replaced by yet other "standards" merely to revitalize sales.

A lot of German bike manufacturers and baukasten who give guarantees up to 10 years fit Kinex bottom brackets from Czechoslovakia, and not just Kinex, or Kinex branded for boutique manucturers (label mongerers), but the cheapest Kinex; Kinex is also the manufacturer behind a lot of pricey bottom bracket pushers who spend 95% of your money on advertising. I had a couple of Kinex on various bikes for about three years each, and loved them.

There's some difficulty in finding the Kinex brand but here's one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinex-Sealed-Cartridge-Bike-Bottom-Bracket-110mm-Shimano-Compatible-/191799914681?hash=item2ca82a70b9:g:~9IAAOSwnLdWtMNV

However, exactly the same Kinex BB with a prestigious Stronglight label is available at not too much of a premium from SJS:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stronglight-jp400-plastic-cups-sealed-bearing-square-taper-bottom-bracket-prod22940/?geoc=us

This base model Kinex comes with the same bearings in various plastic, aluminium and steel fittings, though SJS appears to sell only the one with plastic cups. I've had the plastic cups (they're preferred by Utopia for their very slight flex and their refusal to corrode as a bimetalic interface does) and they were excellent, no problems in the six years I used them.

I was unable to find the ali version in the shops I normally use but Spa has a steel version if you insist on the tradition:
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s110p141
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:09:26 am by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:43:00 am »
Thanks, Pete, for your query, and to all for the intervening answers. A few notes from a UN55 user:

1)   My LBS uses VO components regularly. I asked them about the VO BB, and they said that in their experience (cyclocross, mountainbiking and randonneuring) the UN 55 is as good as VO's products.

2)   Jan Heine strongly recommends SKF square-taper bearings. They're about 5 times as expensive here in Canada as the UN55. I considered the SKF, because of its 10-year warranty, but thought: if I have 15 years of riding ahead of me, will I use 5 UN 55s in that period?

3)   From the answers shown here, I'd opt for the Stronglight shown by Andre, & sold by SJSC.

Let us know what you choose to do.  I don't expect to need to renew my UN 55 for a while yet, but when I do, perhaps I'll look at the Stronglight.

Cheers,

John

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:34 pm »
Forgot to add that my UN-72 BB that continued service for my son, lasted all of those 20 years, and probably gave over 100,000kms of service. So 32,000 miles and 3 or even 10 years kinda pales a little  ;D My wife still has the original BB (probably a UN-26 base model) on her bike from 1993  :o

I am in no real rush to make any purchase. As I mentioned it will probably be a good few years yet. I am loath to use one with plastic cups, as I once had the experience of breaking off a plastic cup, leaving the BB stuck in the frame. The Stronglight with the steel cups looks handy, but I am interested in the IRD - not the Defiant which looks like jewellery and has a bit of a steep price..... more like the QB-75 with the alloy cups and body for $47.99

Shall give it some thought - Margaret's BB may well be on its last legs now.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 12:58:08 am »
A few years ago I bought an early 1990s Bridgestone mountain bike that had been stored outdoors for over a decade.  Took many hours to get the old bottom bracket out.  Used penetrating oil, let it soak for a day.  Applied heat (after the penetrating oil), but did not want to damage the paint so the heat I applied was a hair dryer for maybe half an hour, I left it on low and came back later to see how it was doing.  I eventually decided to just apply a LOT of torque and when I did that I expected to break the frame, but it suddenly came loose.

Good luck pulling that old bottom bracket.