Author Topic: Summer 15/16 Australian Alps tour  (Read 3496 times)

onmybike

Summer 15/16 Australian Alps tour
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:03:28 pm »
Trip report from my latest Nomad tour is up on Crazyguy. 1150km with 400 or so on dirt and a lot of climbing. Mostly camping in National parks with the occasional pub stay or motel.

in4

Re: Summer 15/16 Australian Alps tour
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 08:33:55 am »
Absolutely fabulous read. Some terrific country to ride through, apart from the flies! Kosciuszko remains one of those hills I'd have loved to have tackled but tide and time etc. You've piqued my curiouslty re Mont tents, I've a ME Dragonfly XT which is rather large but very comfortable and you'd not suffer claustrophobia in it... but it is rather spacious!
Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:49:36 am by in4 »

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:18 am »
i only just flicked through the photos . 8) 8)
unreal guess thats what touring bike's are made for  stunning country.

StillOld

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:35 pm »
I turned the heating up and read it aloud in an Australian accent.....love the names of the places. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Great ride/adventure.

onmybike

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:41 am »
Thank you for your comments.

StillOld - you should read the previous year's tour aloud  - it features Suggan Buggan, Yakandandah and Tangambalanga!

In4 - what's holding you back - Mt Kos is the easiest 'highest' mountain you could ever hope to ride up.

Jags - thanks. I liked touring in the snowies so much as a yoof that I eventually settled here.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:12:46 pm »
Great photos, Sydney -- love the light!!  Somehow, I'd forgotten about what lotsa sunshine can do for a scene, a person, a bike. (It's a seasonal thing...)

StillOld

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:12:31 pm »
"Rainy day in Beechworth and I've seen the museums before so I go looking for interesting textures on old walls..."   ;D

Now this must be the last time that that sentence is going to be used in a blog.  :)  The youth of today walk around with their heads buried in their mobile phones so no chance of the current generation using it.

Again a great report on what can be found in that country. It's raining here and the forecast is for more wind and rain. If I close my eyes and lean against the radiator I can feel summer coming.....think I might rename the house....something like Chestnutgalandabanga.