Author Topic: [Part 2] Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)  (Read 31303 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: [Part 2] Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2016, 07:21:33 am »
Hey Dan,
How sharp are those persuasive skills of yours, got them honed to perfection yet?  ;)
Do you think it's now time to let them loose on Hebie?
  ;D They're generally pretty good, but Hebie has so far managed to resist them.  ;)

In truth, the costs of mold creation must be enormous, and I think they would have to realize sufficient return on their investment to make it worthwhile. I'm not sure there is yet a critical mass of 36t chainring users to attract their eye.

In my extensive correspondence I was never able to convince their very nice representative that Rohloff had indeed relaxed their limitations on low gearing to allow use of a 36t chainring. I do know it is possible to produce a smaller Chainglider, for Hebie has since introduced one to fit the very small "chainwheel" used for pedelecs with Bosch mid-drive.

It has been awhile, so perhaps it is time I send another query to see if there is a chance a smaller-diameter front piece will be made.

All the best,

Dan.

martinf

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
Correction to my recent post - the new slimmer carrier is good news for the chainline, but unfortunately seems not to solve the Chainglider issue.

I found this: "The rear portion of a Hebie Chainglider Type 350 is  not  compatible  with  the  SPEEDHUB  splined sprocket system. Hebie are currently (at time of press)  working  on  an  alternative  solution  -  see  FAQs at www.rohloff.de/en/"

On page 2 of this document:

https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/user_upload/8540_Splined_Carrier_-_Splined_Sprocket_EN.pdf

So I expect Hebie will stop making the current version of the Chainglider that is compatible with the old screw-on sprockets.

For me, time to buy one spare Rohloff rear portion to go with the spare screw-on sprocket I bought.

Andre Jute

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2016, 02:13:58 pm »
For me, time to buy one spare Rohloff rear portion to go with the spare screw-on sprocket I bought.

Got mine already. Don't expect to use either. I think it likely my present sprocket and Hebie rear end will see me out. The sprocket is getting on for 10K kilometres and shows no sign of wear on the first side.

Off to ride.

John Saxby

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2016, 03:22:58 pm »
I think it likely my present sprocket and Hebie rear end will see me out.

Yep -- I'm getting into a bike-survivalist mode these days, in keeping with the slightly apocalyptic zeitgeist. Like you, Andre, I reckon my 'glider, my not-obviously-worn current sprocket, & my spare threaded one will last at least as long as I can use them. If Hebie should produce a 'glider that's compatible with the 3S (= Slimline Splined Sprocket) carrier, I'll get one of each and sell what I've currently got on the retro market that will arise.