Author Topic: BikeBuddy  (Read 7863 times)

Templogin

BikeBuddy
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:42 pm »
I bought a mk3 BikeBuddy to carry a 1 litre fuel bottle under the tube between headset and BB.  Sadly this is not going to work as the bottle bosses on my EXP have been brazed too low down.  Is anyone else using a BikeBuddy?  Which model are you using?  Where is it attached and what size frame are you using?

Thanks

Andy
Shetland

mickeg

Re: BikeBuddy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 04:08:45 pm »
Several years ago the company Brunton was the USA distributor for Optimus stoves.  At that time they marketed a 0.6 liter fuel bottle that fit a normal bottle cage perfectly.  That bottle however is no longer sold.  I do not know if Optimus, Primus, MSR or an of the other stove bottle makers have such a bottle.

In the first photo you can see I carry my fuel bottle up much higher on the seat tube where it collects less road grime.

In my case I had the opposite problem, the bottle cage mounts were higher than I wanted not lower.  But you might be able to modify my solution to fit your situation.  The Long Haul Trucker has the bottle cage brazeons under the down tube mounted much higher.  So high that it is hard to fit a large bottle in a cage located there.  So, I took a piece of steel bar stock and drilled three holes in it.  The uppermost hole is used for a bolt into the upper frame mount, the middle hole is for a bolt in the upper bottle cage mount and goes into the lower frame mount, the lowest hole is used for the bolt in the lower bottle cage mount.  I also had to bend the bottle cage slightly to clear the chainrings. 

See second, third and fourth photos.  I also use a velcro strap to make sure that the bottle can't slide part way out and cause a problem with steering. 

Templogin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »
Thanks a lot mickeg.  I will give that solution some thought.

Judging by the contents of those bottles you transport waste for the nuclear industry!

julk

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:59:28 pm »
I had a similar problem fitting a Mk3 to my exp R - the eccentric bb shell sticks out too far from the down tube.
I queried this with BikeBuddy and the very nice guy at BikeBuddy altered it so I could still fit and use it.

Here is a photo of the bottle in the BikeBuddy, the BikeBuddy fits using the lower 2 empty fixing slots and then almost reaches the eccentric shell.
My fuel bottle is a bit higher up the down tube than I had planned but it still travels ok.

It may be worth contacting BikeBuddy to see if yours can be made to fit.
Julian

ps I don’t know how I got the photo in twice, but enjoy! [Fixed.  :) -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:54:44 pm by Danneaux »

Templogin

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:04:01 pm »
That looks better Julk.

Funnily enough I have just sent them an email.

Thanks for your input.

Andy

Templogin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 05:11:13 pm »
BikeBuddy came back to me quickly and are sending me a different fitting for £1+p&p.  It's the right-angled bit that the bottom of the bottle rests against.  I think that I am getting a shorter one, but apparently this one can be reversed.  I am not sure how that is going to work with the right-angly bits, but I am sure that it will all become obvious once it is in my hand.

Andy

julk

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 03:10:16 pm »
Andy,
Sounds good, let us know how it goes.
Julian.

Dan, thanks for the ‘spare’ photo fix.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 03:12:24 pm by julk »

in4

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »
Coincidentally I've been in contact with Bike Buddy too. My inquiry was regarding which of their products would hold a 950mm diameter bottle; as per: https://www.ttustore.com/product/40-ounce-stainless-steel-cold-drink-hydration-bottle-rove-2/

They replied very quickly informing me that, with some slightly larger springs (FOC), both the Mk2 and Mk3 product would fit.  :)

Templogin

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »
Also coincidentally, I have just bought a 40 oz bottle, a Klean Kanteen.  I had assumed that the standard MK3 springs would be OK for it, so it is good to know that I might need longer ones.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 12:49:27 pm »
Just in the process of adding a 946ml (32oz) Klean Kanteen Classic vacuum insulated flask to the seat tube. I already have a BBB Fuel Tank bottle holder on the down tube, and as my Thorn Raven Tour MK1 frame is on the smaller side (2009 512L), I took a bit of time to ensure both the BBB Fuel Tank and Clean Kanteen would fit.

Bike Buddy's web site gives the following information on bottle diameter catered for ...

All three models adjust from 2.8 to 4.4 inches diameter (70 to 112mm). Where leg room is not a problem, BIKEBUDDY can be adjusted up to 6 inches (152mm) diameter by substituting the standard springs for '200' series which are available as an extra - very handy for carrying a small tent or rainwear.

Bike Buddy has two 'end stops' available and is supplied with the longer one. On both orders with Bike Buddy I have requested replacement with the shorter (Type B) end stop. It would depend on your bike, bidon hole position and bottle size which would determine the best end stop to use.

There are a couple of solutions to allow much greater adjustment of the positions of the bottles being carried.

1: Shimano http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ba01-di2-battery-mount-adaptor/rp-prod34650
2: Mount Skidmore https://mountskidmore.com.au

The Shimano provides some adjustment and the Mound Skidmore allows even more adjustment of position.

There is some good information on the topic here ...

https://www.cyclingabout.com/cargo-cages-anything-cages-oversized-bottle-cages/
https://2cycle2gether.com/2010/06/review-the-bikebuddy/
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?thread_id=550005
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:57:33 pm by StuntPilot »

Templogin

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:27:33 pm »
Still haven't fitted mine!  Cycle touring mid September though so I make have to do it for the wild camping and wild cooking lark!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:13 pm »
Just waiting for the Mount Skidmore brackets to arrive from Australia! Will post a photo when its all set up with the the Bikebuddy and the 946ml Klean Kanteen flask.

Hope to do a short tour before the end of the Summer myself. Looking forward to touring with hot coffee or ice cold water!

Templogin

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 08:11:02 am »
Felt embarrassed so fitted mine last night.  The Trangia fuel bottle has a slight taper at the bottom so there was the need to add the extended right angled piece to lower the bottle in the cage.  Anyway all is well now.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 03:00:56 pm »
Here is the setup including two Bike Buddy fittings - one for stove fuel and one for a 946ml Klean Kanteen insulated steel flask. Also managed to fit in a BBB Fuel Tank XL bottle cage that will take a 1.5 litre bottle. Thorn Raven Tour frame size is 512L.

You can see the Mount Skidmore brackets at the Bike Buddy flask and BBB holder attachment points.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:52:51 am by StuntPilot »

Pavel

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 03:25:04 pm »
I hadn't heard of bike buddies before and see that it may be what I've been wanting so as to mount wider diameter bottles than the standard sizes.  I wonder what the maximum width of bottle is possible.  I'm wanting to move away from plastic to double wall stainless steel and was going to put them in the panniers but this may solve that for me. 

Thanks all, for this thread.  :)