Technical > General Technical

Stand Reinforcement

(1/5) > >>

Templogin:
I know that Thorn advise strongly against using stands on their bikes.  My EXP came fitted with a twin-legged Pletscher.  The previous owner had wrapped many layers of tape around the frame tubes before fitting the stand to protect the tubes.  The stand has come loose a few times so I have tightened it up, not enough to damage the tubes, but the stand has cut its way through the tape and damaged the paint.  The tubes look intact though.

I was removing the stand, planning to replace it with a Click-Stand.  It looks as though I picked the perfect moment to do this, so if you are using a stand against Thorn's advice, are you checking it regularly to make sure that all is OK?

mickeg:
A friend of mine used the Pletscher double legged stand on his Cannondale touring bike.  The bolt locked to the stand, dissimilar metal corrosion.  He had to cut the stand off.

I do not like the double legged stands for a touring bike that uses four panniers.  That type of stand will hold the weight of two of the panniers up in the air, that puts a lot of stress on chainstays that were not designed for that kind of stress.

EDIT:  For reasons I do not understand, I can't post the first two photos that I tried to post.

I know that Thorn is opposed to stands, but if you are going to use one I think the best one to use is the Greenfield type that clamps onto the rear seat and chainstays in the back.  I do not tighten the screws too tight, and I occasionally have to re-tighten them because the screws clamp down on some plastic that is wrapped around the rear stays and the plastic deforms over time.  I use blue Locktite on kickstand screws to keep them from falling out when they get loose.  On my Nomad, the plastic piece that wraps around the seatstay did not fit well, so I instead wrapped electrical tape around it.

First photo is my Nomad kickstand.  Second photo, you can see the kickstand on my Sherpa on a rainy day.  And third photo is a beautiful dry day with my Sherpa.

Surly redesigned the LHT frame several years ago (I had the first generation LHT) before the redesign.  I used the one legged stand on my LHT that clamped on to the chainstays without any problems.  That redesign used different seat and chainstays than the first generation frames.  After that redesign, they came out with a very blunt warning that kickstands would violate the warranty, they had a lot of bike frame warranty claims where people crushed the seatstays by tightening the kickstand clamp too tight.  Fourth photo is my LHT, kickstand is up in the photo.  When there is something to lean the bike against, I usually use that instead of the kickstand.

I am not recommending that others disregard the Thorn recommendations, I am just describing what I did.

mickeg:
These are the first two photos I tried to post in my posting above.

jags:
take it off fire it over the nearest hedge  .
when you want to stop find a wall. ;)

Templogin:
You need to ride more in northern Scotland Jags.  In a lot of places there are no walls for miles and I hate laying the bike on its panniers.

I always grease all the bolts on my bike, probably why they fall off with such monotonous regularity!  The exterior of the stand is quite corroded though.  Those stands mounted on the chainstays at the back make me even more nervous.  There isn't a lot of metalwork back there, but I see that plenty of people use them on here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version