Author Topic: Xtc so far  (Read 13043 times)

Bill C

Re: Xtc so far
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »
John thanks for the response on the Rando tyres, i might grab another set if the price stays low enough, stretched the budget to max at the moment though

looked at the mudguards the zepplins in 650b 52mm look good, but pricey i only bought the Gilles Berthouds as either planet x or on one where selling them at around £20 a pair, i forget exact details it was months ago
i have seen some plain steel guards in 26x55mm

JIm
listen to Dan ;)
i did and things are much much easier now, the Dremel is still being used but now i use this

i did buy a used milbro polisher it was  much better (continuous rated) than the sip but the bearings were shot

a new Milbro is on the cards though
but it will have to wait awhile

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:19:18 pm by Bill C »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Xtc so far
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 05:28:41 pm »
...listen to Dan ;)
i did and things are much much easier now, the Dremel is still being used but now i use this...
Thanks for the kind words, Bill. I will add the modest cost of a pair of gloves, as polishing aluminum makes it very hot and it can take awhile for the heat to dissipate, resulting in hand blisters.  :'(

I rigged a small cooling pad in my freezer using a computer exhaust fan cover wedged between the refrigerated racks. Aluminum is a wonderful thermal conductor, so I was able to cool pieces quickly to room temperature and so get back to work sooner. Pre-chilling doesn't work, as condensate forms on the surface once out of the freezer and this plays havoc with the polish.

My polisher is actually a repurposed industrial grinder rated for continuous use. Downside is the hex-nut-and-washer fixing on the wheels/bonnets; it makes for tedious changeovers. Dremel are great for polishing little things and tight places, but the little polishing wheels tend to load-up with oxides quickly and also wear down fast due to the reduced surface area. I love my Dremel, but sometimes think the makers could give away the motorized handpieces as a fast-track to bit/accessory sales profits.

Wonderful results you're getting, Bill -- could not possibly look nicer!

All the best,

Dan.