Author Topic: Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)  (Read 22272 times)

macspud

Re: Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
being 58mm chainline rather than 54mm

57mm, its only a 3mm increase

Ah, I was just going by the Rohloff website, which has it at 58mm:
http://www.rohloff.de/de/technik/speedhub/technik/index.html
&
http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/sprockets/index.html

Anyway, the less difference between the two the better.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:56:37 pm by macspud »

mickeg

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:13 pm »

Rohloff website said 58mm.  You say 57mm.  I call the difference round off error, so I consider the two numbers to be the same.

David Simpson

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 12:58:10 am »

Rohloff website said 58mm.  You say 57mm.  I call the difference round off error, so I consider the two numbers to be the same.

I agree with you, since over the distance of the chainstay, a difference of 1mm is insignificant. However, Dave Whittle is a workshop supervisor at SJS, and Rohloff are German. In both cases, I would expect complete accuracy. So there is still a bit of mystery about the difference.

- Dave (not Whittle)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:04 am »
I agree with you, since over the distance of the chainstay, a difference of 1mm is insignificant. However, Dave Whittle is a workshop supervisor at SJS, and Rohloff are German. In both cases, I would expect complete accuracy. So there is still a bit of mystery about the difference.

Mystery solved, I was working from an older document, they have since redesigned slightly and it is now 58mm, sorry for the confusion  :-\

David Simpson

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 03:03:33 pm »
Mystery solved, I was working from an older document, they have since redesigned slightly and it is now 58mm, sorry for the confusion  :-\

Thanks for the update!

macspud

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 07:37:51 pm »

Thanks for the update!

Yes, thanks for the update, mystery solved. It's good to get these things nailed down.  :)

il padrone

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 10:55:56 pm »
I wonder, would the Rohloff Splined-Carrier & splined sprockets, being 58mm chainline rather than 54mm, enable non-Rohloff Chainglider rear ends to be used with a Rohloff hub. If so it may increase the range of sprocket sizes and therefore gear ratios which can be used with a Chainglider.

Fingers crossed.

It would still be preferable for Hebie to make front ends available for a wider range of chainrings.

A very good point and may well be correct. If the Chainglider is placed 3mm further outboard it will be placed clear of any contact with the Rohloff shell. But as mine on the Nomad sits hard against the seat stay it's all a bit academic - a 3mm wider chainline will prevent use of the Chainglider that I now  value highly.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 11:07:25 am »
A very good point and may well be correct. If the Chainglider is placed 3mm further outboard it will be placed clear of any contact with the Rohloff shell. But as mine on the Nomad sits hard against the seat stay it's all a bit academic - a 3mm wider chainline will prevent use of the Chainglider that I now  value highly.

Best stock up on sprockets now, as this isn't going to be an option the new sprocket replaces the existing in all cases and stocks on the old sprockets are being run down.

macspud

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, Dave.

I was going to ask about exactly that question, my alarm started bells ringing when I read the words "existing stock". I didn't bring it up as I decided that it was most likely just a problem in translation between German & English on the Rohloff site.

Quote from Rohloff http://www.rohloff.de/en/news/news/news/detail/News/product-news-2016-eurobike-2015/index.html

"The current threaded sprockets (13T, 15T, 16T, 17T) will still be usable instead of the splined carrier system should one with to continue using their existing stock."

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:25:41 pm by macspud »

macspud

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
From what I can deduce, Rohloff have increased the chainline on their new splined sprocket & carrier system 58mm because there isn't clearance between the hub casing and the chain side plates when using 13 & 14 tooth sprockets at the old 54mm chainline. This is the same reason why the threaded 13 tooth sprockets have a 58mm chainline causing them to be asymetrical and therefore unable to be reversed.

The new chainline may now allow single speed chains to be used?

It would be possible to have a splined carrier with a Hebie Chainglider friendly 54mm chainline for sprockets of 15 tooth and over.

macspud

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 04:32:06 am »
Dan,
There seems to be a problem with this thread, at least for me. It took me a few tries to post my last post, and since it finally completed posting, I just get a blank screen when I click on the thread. It is only visable when looking at "Recent Posts".

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 04:46:07 am »
Admin test; please do not reply.

Dan.