Author Topic: What's really important on your bike?  (Read 9477 times)

Andre Jute

What's really important on your bike?
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:30:53 am »
Sometimes I want to shake some sense into the people who stop me to talk about my bike. They always focus on the electric motor and the Rohloff. Sure, they're the best you can get, but all the same, they're dispensable. They just help you get there. I could lose both by moving off my hill to some flat place and feel little pain. But that's just the dramatic introduction to grab your attention.

At Christmas last year I wasn't buying a new bike (there's only one bike I don't already have left on my shortlist and it is welded, which is a dealbreaker for me) or even any new components, because after seven years my current bike is fully developed in the direction I want to go, extreme comfort and near-zero maintenance. So I had time to consider all the components on the bike and do something you don't have a chance to do if you're either specifying a whole bike, or buying a single predetermined component or set: this is rank components in order of importance.

Surprisingly, the most important component on my bike, on every high-miler's bike, is invisible and intangible. It exists first and mainly in the mind of the frame designer. It is the fit. If between the purpose for which you intend the bike, the frame, and the components where your hands, feet and bottom touch the bike, you cannot get a comfortable and efficient (in whatever terms you define efficiency) fit, all the other expense is wasted. The fit is actually the genius of the people who design the best bikes; most of the rest is image.

Everyone knows I'm a fan of, in no particular order, Schwalbe Big Apple balloons, the Brooks B73 triple helical spring leather hammock saddle, North Road touring handlebars, VP-191 sealed bearing block pedals, all fitted to a Utopia Kranich crossframe updated from vintage times with modern custom Columbus tubes. It is no coincidence that I also like SKS's P65 mudguards and the Chainglider enclosed chaincase, and that a key consideration with the Rohloff for me is the modesty of its service requirements. My bike rarely goes off the tarmac because even the smallest lane is tarred where I live, so a thin layer of dust is wiped off it once a year and every several years, if it hasn't been cleaned by a heavy rain, the bike might even get washed. I cycle in street clothes and use the bike like a utility bike, get on and ride whenever I want to, never mind changing clothes; my clothes don't get dirty on the bike.

But it's easy in a bike well-developed over time to overlook really useful stuff.

By far the most convenient of the comfort accessories on my bike is the n'lock, which is a stem that unlocks the handlebar from the steering tube at the turn and removal of a key. That disables the bike; further security is provided by a cable you pull out from the handlebar that locks into the stem, and is unlocked again, by the same key turn. Since I live in a low crime area, that's all the security I need. Very convenient, fast, no bending over the bike and getting your hands dirty with cables or U-locks.

Even easier to overlook is the Brooks leather handlebar grips I use. These are made from thick leather rings held together sideways by small bicycle spokes (it's true!) between cast aliminium endpieces. The whole affair looks and feels rock hard. I cycle in common leather dress gloves, zero gel or other padding, and I must tell you that appearances can be deceiving. Those apparently rock hard Brooks leather grips are absolutely fabulous at keeping all kinds of vibrations out of my hands, which is important to me.

If this post starts you thinking of something on your bike that you are so familiar with that you overlook its real value, let the rest of us know so we can try it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:30:37 pm by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: What's really important on your bike?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 06:19:09 am »
Hi Andre!

My own list echoes yours in part, but goes a bit further. The really important things on or about my bikes aren't branded components per se, but functional design concepts...

• Appropriate fit with all hardpoints where I expect them so I am not hurting on the bike. The frames may vary in size and even design, but the contact points are identical to within a millimeter or so.
• Drop' handlebars so my palms can face each other and my wrists, elbows, and shoulders don't hurt, plus multiple hand positions.
• A leather saddle so I...don't hurt on the bike.
• Appropriately low gearing so I can continue to ride with my fast-light hummingbird cadence...saving my knees.
• A drivetrain with reasonable longevity so the parts last awhile. For me, this has been derailleur drivetrains that are <9-sp (I still use 5- and 6-sp freewheels with friction shifters and 7-sp cassettes very happily) and, of course, the Rohloff drivetrain.
• (Generally:) User-replaceable, preassembled deep-groove Conrad-style cartridge bearings with seals. A boon for high-mileage cyclists -- replace the cartridges to renew the component.
• A steel frame so I can enjoy the advantages that are appropriate to me and am (once again) comfortable.
• Appropriately wide tires for sure-footed traction, cornering, and good comfort at lower pressures on mixed terrain.
• Mudguards (fenders) for all-weather cycling to keep my clothing, feet, and drivetrain clean and dry insofar as possible. The front must have a generously long mudflap. If riding in the company of others, the rear also needs a generously long mudflap for courtesy.
• At least a rear rack so I can carry/store things like extra clothing I might need to don or doff during a ride.
• A spares/tools bag for self-sufficiency (with a VAR 42500 bead jack, of course)
• A manual tube pump for self-sufficiency; frame fit and field-rebuildable.
• Decent lighting for riding safely well into the night.
• Lots of onboard water storage. Despite living in an area with generous annual rainfall (the Willamette Valley), water is not readily available on most rides (tap handles are removed, or unauthorized access to water is considered prosecutable theft.
• Each bike must be an all-'rounder in function, capable of being an "only" bike if required; life is too short for overly specialized machines in my use.

The bike most likely to meet all the above requirements is a touring bike, so that's what I have. They all weigh about 14-14.5kg except the Nomad, which is a super-duty tourer. The are no night-and-day differences between my bikes, but the shades of grey vary to a greater or lesser extent.

I'm a long-distance day rider and camping-tourist, who rides where the terrain varies a lot and often in remote conditions. For these reasons, my bikes need to allow for comfort over a long time in the saddle and self-sufficiency so I can avoid trouble or get myself out of trouble should it arise (on many or my regular routes, I might not see a car in two weeks' time).

Regardless of brand or design, I want my bikes to be reliable so they don't break down (especially mid ride, which would leave me stranded and in a real fix) and to be so comfortable disappear beneath me no matter the ride. Thinking about it, every bike I own meets this brief, though they all go about the task in subtly different ways.  Like your own bike, Andre, once setup, mine go for decades without need for upgrade or replacement except as desired.

I buy good, well-considered components, and this has paid off in longer service life, less frequent maintenance, and greater reliability, so smart money well spent. My bikes last a long time and I keep them a long time (I can't bear to part with them and most won't realize a large enough price to offset their loss), so I don't buy many or often 'cos there's no need. Money saved on replacing components or even whole bikes goes instead toward funding tours so I can actually use the bikes; not a bad deal!

That said, I surely have my Favorite Components™ that make it all readily and reliably possible. They are so well developed as to be invisible in my use, content to simply perform their tasks superbly and reliably -- most for hundreds of thousands of kms and over decades in my use:
• Brooks B.17 saddle with powdercoated rails (too many broken chrome rails)
• Thudbuster ST or LT suspension seatpost or a rigid forged 'post with long layback to support my Brooks mid-rails
• Compact-reach, shallow-drop handlebars
• Full size frame-fit, field-rebuildable Zιfal HP/HP-X or Silca Impero with Campagnolo steel presta head.
• Velox rubber bar-end plugs to save both top tubes and knees
• Shimano Click'R T-400 SPD pedals and MO88 shoes (or SunTour Superbe Pro road quills and Detto Pietro Art.74 racing cleats)
• SON28 dynohubs with B&M lighting (Toplight Line Plus taillights, Cyo Deluxe headlight) and charging systems (Tout Terrain The Plug 2+ or B&M e-Werk). Individual tubular 3M spoke reflectors fit in this category.
• Tubular steel pannier racks (Thorn and Tubus)
• Phil Wood Waterproof grease. Full stop. Only thing I've found to be proof against corrosion caused by blowing alkali dust, volcanic ash, and heavy water exposure.
• Cold-forged cranks (Sugino, Shimano)
• 1980s-decade SunTour, Shimano, and Sugino derailleur drivetrain components with sealed cartridge bearing deraileur pulleys
• Stronglight, Tange, and Saavedra tapered roller-bearing threaded 1in headsets (because of theirgreater friction and larger contact area); otherwise FSA or Cane Creek cartridge-bearing headsets for threadless forks.
• Double layers of padded tape compression-wrapped over Grab-On foam grips with or Morgan Concepts grips (RIP)
• Kool-Stop rim-friendly salmon formula brake pads
• Big water bottles that have no odor/aste/BPA and don't leak (Zιfal Magnum 1l)
• AXA (Defender) and Trelock (RS450) frame-mounted ring-locks and choice of cable or chain, depending on where I park.
• "Wide enough" tires I can ride fast and far. I prefer Schwalbe Duremes, Bontrager road slicks, and certain Maxxus/CST/Cheng Shin Tire models -- loved their Model 917). Presta valves only for me.
• SKS Chromoplast or PlanetBike polycarbonate mudguards (fenders) with BuddyFlaps ( http://www.buddyflaps.com/ )
• Click-Stand with BikeBrake parking brakes ( http://www.bikebrake.com/ )
• A really waterproof saddle cover when parked in rainy conditions
• A decent and robust *wired* computer with ride time, speed, trip and total distance, and average speed functions. I prefer PlanetBike Protege 9.0; great except for the maddening fault of the average speed timebase being limited to 10 hours. Otherwise, the Specialized SpeedZone. Both have robust cables and decent spoke magnets that stay in place. I don't need cadence; mine is always 110-120RPM.
• DT Swiss, Sapim, and Wheelsmith/Asahi spokes
• Reliably waterproof underseat tool bag to prevent tools rusting (I prefer Ortlieb)

• Beloved but wholly optional additions include a SkyMounti inclinometer, CueClip cuesheet holder and PlanetBike 10mm nylock nut-and-drawbolt mudguard stay hardware (http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7006_7.html )

A coupla differences 'tween us, Andre:
a thin layer of dust is wiped off it once a year and every several years, if it hasn't been cleaned by a heavy rain, the bike might even get washed.
<twitch, twitch>  :o
I cycle in street clothes
Always high-function, cycling-specific clothing for me. When on the bike, my job is riding it. I love my job, so need to wear clothing that lets me do it best. Street clothes don't work for me; they hold me back or cause damage/injury over the time/distances I ride.

All the best,

Dan. (...who enjoyed the topic  :) )
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:00:26 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:46:46 am »
Mmm. Just like I expected, from the very first reply, I already saw something I don't have and didn't know where to find, something that the non-cyclist may may consider obsessive. I have stainless nyloc nuts on my fender struts already (it came from the factory with those) but the little rubber caps were lost (not by me, by the LBS). Thanks Dan!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:32:19 am »
...the little rubber caps [for mudguard struts]...
Andre,

Vinyl thread protectors and small-gage vacuum caps will also work as well...available in a variety of colors.

I love PlanetBike's commitment to spare parts availability. Lots of their offerings are good for DIY hacking at reasonable prices (and free shipping in North America).

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:33:57 am by Danneaux »

ians

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:58:09 am »
"What's really important on your bike?"

Me.

Happy new year to you all.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »
Brilliant, Ian!

Yes!  ;D

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:59:33 pm »
"What's really important on your bike?"

Me.

Are you on sale anywhere for January?

Happy New Year all!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 11:35:58 am »
I would agree with Dan's detailed list. The most important thing on my Raven Tour, especially while touring, is a mirror ...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mirrycle-mountain-mirrycle-mirror-for-straight-handlebars-prod13144/

Saved my life more than once!

Happy New Year!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 04:24:22 pm »
Hi Richard!

Boy, I wish I had included my mirror as well, but I wear it on the temple of my riding glasses, so didn't think of it apart from my other bikie "clothing".

I like a helmet-mounted or eyeglass-mounted mirror for several reasons:
• Wide field of view -- about the same as a 9in/23cm hand mirror held at arm's length.
• The ability to "sweep" across a couple traffic lanes with a slight turn of my head.
• (With binocular vision) The ability to see "through" it or "in" it.
• Nothing to break off if the bike falls over, or is laid down, saving replacement costs.
• Stays adjusted when transferring from bike to bike.
• (So far...) No problems with it puncturing me in a fall -- they seem to come unclipped or break off if the Worst happens. I do wear it attached to polycarbonate riding glasses, so perhaps those provide a measure of protection. The eyeglass-mounted versions seem more durable in my use because they tend to receive more gentle handling. Drop handlebars figure prominently in my choice, as well. The options for 'bar mounting are generally not as successful as with straight handlebars.

My favorite the last 5 years or so has been the Bike Peddler Take A Look eyeglass-mounted mirror:
http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-Cycling-Eyeglass-Mirror/dp/B001VTQNVO
It is all-metal, vibration-free (a key feature missing in many all-plastic models) and adjustable via sleeved brass joints that can be tightened if they become worn. The mirror itself is acrylic plastic, so won't shatter if broken.

EDIT: I suppose if I list the mirror, then I should also list my riding glasses. I've lost count of the number of direct "rock pops" they've taken when cars pass me on gravel roads. Mine have a removable prescription insert so I can wear them as corrective lenses or just as a protective shields when riding with contact lenses. Mine are Bolle Edge IIs, circa 1982 or so, replaced once thanks to eBay NOS. I like them because they fit my small face well, don't fog up, and provide a panoramic view thanks to the single-piece lens. In extremis, they snap apart, which seems to be a good feature in big "offs" like the one shown in aftermath below. If I did not have occasional need for prescriptive correction, then I would be very happy with nearly identical polycarbonate "workshop safety glasses" available at big-box discount stores for about USD$4.50.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:48:59 pm by Danneaux »

bikerta

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 05:18:33 pm »
I'm a woman, so of course the most important thing about a bike is the colour.    ;D

Closely followed by the Thorn Badge on the front.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »
...colour...Closely followed by the Thorn Badge on the front.
Sounds like a winning combination for anyone!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »
For me it's comfort haven't got there yet .
i think if i were to buy another thorn  i would have to get a sloping top tube so as i could fit a seatpost like Dan's( Can't think of the name,) also a brooks saddle .
yeah the colour and the welds have to be perfect high gloss finish on paint work.
top quality crankset and paul canti brakes excellent.
important to have a super light system dynamo of course  and charging system.
ah sure all a fella needs is money i ain't got any mores the pity.

anto.

Bill C

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:12:10 pm »
comfi seat, brooks flyer special or conquest
as Dan said bars that i can ride with my palms facing each other ie drops, just bought some Scott AT-2 lite flite's at 195g  8)  ,

but origin8 adventure or avenir brahma would of done, for hand positions
good non slip pedals
quality steel frame

and as wide a range of gears as i can get,

and thanks to Dan in another post i now know i need a http://www.bike4travel.nl/product_info.php?products_id=331

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:19:33 pm by Bill C »

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:35 am »
Right, if we're talking about cycling stuff that isn't necessarily attached to the bike as well, I'll put in a word for the Bell Citi and Metro helmets, which are specific designs for commuters who sit upright on their bikes, and very comfortable. These helmets are more than a helmet, a system, in that you can buy replacement foam strips, a warm liner, a rear lamp, and a mirror that fits a channel on the removable visor, all dedicated to the Metro/Citi system. Or you could when the helmets were in production because Bell, with the mindlessn disregard of customers' wishes too often displayed by big corporations, have taken them out of production. Wearing my industrial designer hat, I can only describe the Metro and the Citi as timeless classics.

I have the Citi/Metro mirror on my helmets because it works when you have nothing else, but normally I use a handlebar mirror, for which I fancy a roadie's drop bar item made by Cateye, the 300G, because it is cheap and gives you a superb, undistorted view. It plugs into the end of the handlebar, including in drop bars, and I use mine on North Road bars, without space to fit any other mirror, hanging below my gear change hand, where it is well out of the way. I also use it as a sacrificial piece to protect my bike and my expensive grips. It's a fiver at SJS http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror-left-or-right-fitting-prod13904/ which must make it one of the few remaining bargains in cycling, so I don't care if I smash one against the pillared entry to a narrow footbridge at which I usually arrive at near enough 50kph, and where before I switched to the 300G, I smashed more Zefal mirrors than was good for my temper. Interestingly, whereas the Zefal invariably smashed irreparably, the 300G, even at that speed, stands a 50:50 chance of surviving contact.

Another component that I pay zero attention to because it is fit and forget is a Cane Creek S6 headset copy, made by Cane Creek itself for Humpert in Germany, and sold by Humpert as the Xtasy (never mind, the name is in tiny script) at what I understand is a reasonable price; this headset comes standard on several top German bikes and, according to one manufacturer, no one has ever been known to wear one out or make a warranty claim on it. The Cane Creek S6 is the headset that quite literally created the Ahead-set standard which is today near universal, so its provenance is impeccable. A class act, but silent and nigh invisible.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:12:04 am »
Andre,

Bell seems to have replaced the Metro/Citi line with the Muni:
https://www.bellhelmets.com/muni-9222
It seems to have a slightly upgraded attachment system and accessories.

It appears to be part of their current lineup here in the YewEssay, complete with accessories.  Bell often seems to either "upgrade" their helmets with a name change, or offer the same model under a different name with slight variations. For example, my Euro-market Alchera road model was marketed here as the Influx MTB helmet with the addition of a detachable visor.

All the best,

Dan.