Author Topic: Rides 2016 — add yours here  (Read 40885 times)

David Simpson

Re: Rides 2016 — add yours here
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:27:51 pm »
the photographs here are vicarious rides to all those beautiful places.

Yes!

John Saxby

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »
one wonders if the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence mountains

Andre, you'll see that I've taken the liberty of tweaking your words a wee bit...  At times like this, seeing fotos like this, we here the Valley, y'know, we wonder if maybe our compatriots t'other side of the mountains, well, maybe, they're just, y'know, showing the same pictures year after year, and how would we know, after all?

A few years ago, I was travelling across Canada on a working trip with a colleague.  We visited Saskatoon in late January, and it was pretty much what you'd expect from what is, after all, a cold semi-arid place; hospitable, to be sure, but in late January, the bitter NW winds whip the typically shallow snow on the vast flat fields into ridges and "ground blizzards", and people leave their trucks idling outside the coffee shops, 'cos otherwise they might not start, it being 40 below and all.

We finished our work together, and my colleague flew on to Vancouver, which he had never visited. I followed a couple of days later, and he met me at the airport. The air was soft, a few degrees above 0, the mountains had their expected cones of snow, there was no ice to be seen on any body of water, there were cyclists in shorts on the bare dry streets, and my colleague said, "This place is wonderful, John! It isn't Canada, but it's wonderful!"

There is a downside, for some, anyway:  A few years after the trip above, I was in Ottawa in mid-Feb, and a colleague phoned to say she'd be arriving in a couple of days.  I told her that she should bundle up, as it was -25 at midday.  She said, "I don't care. I can't stand it any more. I haven't seen the sun for forty-one days!"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:37:23 pm by John Saxby »

David Simpson

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 07:52:40 pm »
we wonder if maybe our compatriots t'other side of the mountains, well, maybe, they're just, y'know, showing the same pictures year after year, and how would we know, after all?

Ron and I will never tell. :)

"This place is wonderful, John! It isn't Canada, but it's wonderful!"

It's wonderful and it's Canada!

"I haven't seen the sun for forty-one days!"

Growing up in Vancouver, I can handle not seeing the sun for months on end. :) I can ride my bike in the rain, but I can't ride when there is a foot of snow on the ground, even if it is sunny.

Quote for Vancouver (probably also applicable to parts of the UK): It only rains once per year. October to April.

- Dave

John Saxby

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:16 am »
It only rains once per year. October to April.
  :)

Leaving aside the mountains (!!), what I like most is how soft the air is.  (And the daffs in Feb, of course, and the year-round cycling.)  It's such a treat to visit friends who live in buildings where the line between indoors and out-of-doors is so much less marked than in these parts.

rualexander

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 06:09:31 pm »
Snow and ice this weekend, so finally put the studded tyres on.
We got a good run round one of our local routes, weather was quite nice but cold.

jags

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 06:24:15 pm »
lovely but man i bet it was cold. :o

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »
Absolutely stunning photographs as usual from you, Rual. Much admired and always eagerly anticipated by me. Thanks so much for sharing these.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 09:04:41 pm »
...but such photographs are worth it!

geocycle

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 10:28:19 am »
Great pictures Rual, I admire your determination to carry on riding.  I set off (South Lake District) but turned back as I could see broken bones on the horizon.  Problem we have here is that it is usually too mild for protracted periods of ice requiring winter tyres, so when it happens we just have to give up and catch up with the forum.   :(

brummie

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:51 pm »
John, I suspect the weather gods were welcoming my daughter to Ottawa, as she arrived from Vancouver in the wee hours of Thursday, for a four month University co-op posting with the Federal government. Luckily her flight was not the day of the storm, as many were cancelled.

Here in my neck of the woods I must put off a New Year's ride for a few days, as two days of freezing fog have left everything, including lesser used roads, with a fine coating of ice. I don't think the Marathon Supremes would be up to the task. Has anyone tried the Continental Winter Contacts?

A couple of pics taken in the back yard.

Time for our Southern Hemisphere friends to post some pics of "real" January cycling weather.

Hi Ron,
I've used Conti Winter Contact tyres here in the UK. I was surprised & impressed with their grip in fresh snow, but they're no substitute for studded tyres once you have to deal with frozen snow / ice. Probably better suited to colder /dry environments than found in the UK during winter.

RonS

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 12:04:51 am »
Thanks for the input, brummie. Where I live I don't have to be concerned with snow so much as frost and very light ice on the roads. Studs are definitely overkill as the roads are clear 90% of the time.

And Jags, saddle adjusted :-)

Planet X

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 01:49:41 am »
Kings Mountain 200k Audax, Ireland.
204k @22.8kph. Rolling 8:56.

Kicked off with Lastgasp and two others around 7am. Could've been earlier. Very pleasant morning, roads dry. If it had been raining when I got up I wouldn't have gone. Didn't want ten hours cycling wet.

So, we beat that and made our first enforced stop at Ballivor at about 65k. Big sausage sambo ...."with red sauce love".
Rolled out only for one of the other guys to puncture. We stopped and between the 4 of us, we got it sorted in about 10.

Bunch of about 6 came up to us with about four PBP warriors. After dawdling for half an hour and chatting, the hammer dropped and the rain started. The route got rolling and a fair few were shelled.

We made it to Kells at about 125k for the next check/time stamp. Had a Coke, homemade sambo & banana but was hanging around getting cold so told the lads "I'd head" thinking they'd meet me down the road a mile or so.

Never saw them again somehow so.....did the next 80k. solo. Jeez.....that was hard. Route was lumpy as hell. Kentstown had some ramps, "bottom gear on a triple steep"!
Had rain and significant wind for a fair part of it. Met up a few Navan lads at about 180k. who were "Having a mechanical lads?"
No, an "engine Problem". One of them had blown.

Counting off the 10k segments, counting, counting.
Made two nav. errors in the run in. Minor, less than a k. I reckon.

Navan lads caught up with 5 to go. Hammer down Finglas Road. Home at 16:40 covered in muck from wheel suck.

Funny that, in reflection, in the last 80k flying solo, was only passed by two individuals.......got me to thinking that alot were trying to shortcut it?
One of the guys who passed me, who I was with earlier, strong rider, came in about 5 minutes after me. Now, he passed me with about 30 to go and wasn't hanging around.

I'm happy with that.
1:20am Sunday, can't sleep. Opened a bottle of Campo Viejo Rioja.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:52:58 am by Planet X »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 03:19:30 am »
Well done, and a great ride report -- I could see it all from your wording, and caught the excitement!  ;D

When's the next one? [or is it too early to ask?]

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 03:25:40 am »
Got out for a nice ride myself yesterday. Missed the rain and caught a clear window before rain came again today.

Nomad ran like a champ, as usual.

Warm for early February here in the Willamette Valley, but a hefty snowpack in the Cascades is most welcome to see us through next summer with reasonable stream and creek levels against drought.

The white mountains you see in the distance are the Three Sisters, dormant volcanoes that are part of the Cascades. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(Oregon)

I quickly took with my cellphone (attached below), but a much better one was taken by newspaper staff here...

Best,

Dan.

Planet X

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 09:44:57 am »
Well done, and a great ride report -- I could see it all from your wording, and caught the excitement!  ;D

When's the next one? [or is it too early to ask?]

All the best,

Dan.

Orwell Wheelers 200 March 6th. Mothers Day I believe  ;D

Orwell Wheelers, Dundrum, County Dublin where Stephen, Laurence and Nicholas Roche rode for.