Author Topic: Rides 2016 — add yours here  (Read 40861 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Rides 2016 — add yours here
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2016, 04:35:07 pm »
A great day out today. Warm n sunny.
Only sad point was seeing a dead badger at the road side.
A round trip of 48.55 miles. Av speed 12.7 mph Max speed 31 mph In saddle time 3hr 48 min

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16191840

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/full/16191840.png?secret_hash=7e2f1551c6bfe675a327e1b111152559cdc3c2a7

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16191840/elevation_profile

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:13 pm »
The past few weeks have been crazy-busy (for lots of positive reasons), so I haven't had a lot of time for day rides.  This past Sunday, however, I managed a ride up into the Gatineau Hills, my usual day ride and escape from The Buzz.  We're nearing the end of the summer, and we've been blessed with sunny warm days, sometimes with brisk drier winds from the NW, now and then with moist air from the SW.

This Sunday's ride was notable for the near-absence of cars from the roads in the park. (Motor traffic is banned on summer Sundays between 6AM and 11AM, but even after 11 there were very few cars.)  In their place I saw maybe 120 mostly young people, training for cross-country skiing a few months hence on their long inline roller-blade skates. Of these, perhaps 25 or 30 were para-athletes -- a skier with only one arm, a blind skier with his guide, several athletes in chairs, usually with able-bodied friends or family members in support. This is in hilly terrain, mind, and they were all working hard. I'm privileged to enjoy good health, and I don't take that for granted, but the sight of these people, young and old, able-bodied and much less so, was inspiring.  I'm not sure I'd have the dedication that some of the para-athletes showed.

My ride covered a loop of about 65 kms. I used my derailleur Eclipse, formerly my touring bike and now my go-(marginally)-faster bike for day rides. I had that refreshed earlier this year, with Surly Crosscheck steel forks replacing the 14-year-old original carbon-fibre items, new Velo Orange rims replacing the Alex originals, spiffy VO snakeskin-pattern alloy fenders, new Avid shorty canti brakes with nice Koolstop pads, and a new Deore LX 11-32 cassette, replacing the Deore 12-36 I had used for touring. Drawing on my experience with the Raven, I also added 3 cms worth of spacers to raise the bars slightly. These changes have made the bike more comfortable to ride, and the lower stress of day rides has made my troublesome rear derailleur much less so.

Below are a couple of photos taken from the top of the escarpment, looking N and W over the Ottawa River with the lowlands on the Québec side in the foreground. The day is a bit hazy--it's those moist winds from Ohio, Michigan, Tronna and such places, bearing miasmas and whatnot from the post-industrial society SW of us. (Ottawa never really attained "industrial society" status, so "post-industrial is as much a wistful tag as anything...)

Atop the escarpment, I met a clutch of riders from Sacramento, California. They were on a tour of Ottawa and Montréal, and thought they'd died and gone to heaven.  Everything so clean and beautiful, they said, everyone so polite. I thanked them for their kind words, and said that we were conscious that we had a jewel in the Gatineau Park -- in a few months, the greenery would be gone, and we'd be up here on skis. 'Til then, we could continue our bike rides in the coming glory of the autumn, or go paddling on the lakes a little bit to the east if we wanted to do so.

I used the Eclipse for my ride because Osi, my Raven, is resting after our exertions in June/July in the Big Hills in Alberta, BC, and the US Pacific NW.  Cleaning my bike after my 2300-plus kms in the mountains, I found a handful of tiny longitudinal cracks in my Mavic XM719 rear rim near some of the spokes on the non-drive side of the Rohloff.  (The front rim showed none.)  This is a good-quality rim--recommended by Peter White, for example--but it's also a mid-weight rim (475 gms), and other riders have found similar problems.  I think that the combined stresses of weight and the spoke angles demanded by the Rohloff have been too much for it. Knowing that the problem wouldn't fix itself with just a dose of privacy, I decided to use my Eclipse for day rides while I ordered another, heavier-weight rim. Exal offers a good selection on their website (http://www.exal.eu/en/rims-touringbikes-mountainbikes-trekkingbikes-citybikes) but retailers for their 26" rims seem very scarce.  I ordered instead a Velo Orange product, which at 590 gms should do the necessary: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/wheelsets-rims-hubs/rims/vo-26-escapade-rim.html That's been shipped, so I expect to have the wheel built and in the next week. Reports to come.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:45:19 pm by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2016, 10:28:42 pm »
We're easing into autumn now, with the leaves just beginning to turn. I've made a couple of 3-4-hour rides up into the Gatineau Hills across the river in the past week, in wonderful weather--warm and clear sunny days, around 20 degrees at mid-day, with a fresh breeze. Night-time temps are usually between 5 and 10, so it feels like a cold-season day in Southern Africa. The downside is that this spell will probably last only a couple of weeks; on the Highveld, it goes on for months.

As the trees start to turn, the geese are getting ready for their annual trek southwards. There are grouplets of three or four doing shakedown cruises, checking out their commands, positioning, wingbeat cadence, stuff like that. Larger clusters of the birds are doing more terrestrial training, in extended nose-to-tail formations on the river, just like feathered ships of the line.

The only problem cyclists face in the Gatineau in early autumn is the greater number of motorists on the roads. One can imagine the conversations in one of the ubiquitous and monstrous SUVs, fractionally smaller than battleships with marginally better fuel economy: "Oh George, look at the foliage!"  "Oh George, watch out for the cyclists!!" "Martha, it would be a whole lot easier to do both if we didn't have a vehicle that's bigger than the houses of half the world's population, and a whole lot less maneuverable..."

Anyway, Osi the Raven glides through it all, enjoying hillsides like the ones below.

Pavel

« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »
Thanks, Andre.  Such beautiful countryside, isn't it?  I saw snow on the hills and mountains inland from Cape Town only from the air, flying north one cool July morning.  I did see snow on the Draakensberg from Bergville one fine day in May; happily, that was after I'd descended from the high country.

The Karoo does things to people, doesn't it? You probably know Andre Brink's work -- I found An Instant in the Wind to be the most powerful of his novels, and the setting (the Karoo) played an important part in that.

I never made it to those parts on my bike when we lived in SA between 2003 and 2006, though the highveld around Pretoria made for excellent day rides, and my first long-ish ride on a bike took me from Pretoria downhill to Durban, a group ride to celebrate the 70th birthday of a longtime friend.

Cheers,

John

I lived in RSA in 77 and 78.  I rode my bicycle all around Natal those two years.  All I had was a small gym bag bungeed to the rear rack of my Peugeot but somehow that didn't stop me, not having all the right gear.  I'd sleep on the beach and pretty much go all day on one candy bar sometimes. 

The draakensbergs are majestic.  Never cycled there but we had a few trips by car.  I should post some of those "vintage" photos one of these days.

Andre Jute

« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2016, 12:22:40 am »
The draakensbergs are majestic.  Never cycled there but we had a few trips by car.  I should post some of those "vintage" photos one of these days.

Yes, please!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2016, 06:05:40 pm »
Out n about for the last time this year.

Still getting to grips with the Garmin

<iframe src="//rwgps-embeds.com/trips/12391040/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/12391040

Dufftown to Keith Aberdeenshire UK

Hit the road before dawn and enjoyed the sunrise.

Raven running well, now that the clicking of the EBB appears to have stopped!

Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink