Author Topic: New Busch&Muller dynamo light  (Read 8805 times)

rualexander

New Busch&Muller dynamo light
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:30:47 pm »
B&M have a new dynamo light producing a 100 lux beam, the IQ X

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-scheinwerfer/lumotec-iq-x.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjr0u-dHRrM

Looks like being around the 100 euro mark in the German shops.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:32:39 pm by rualexander »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen

jags

Re: New Busch&Muller dynamo light
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:50 pm »
Wow i want one of those lights Class job.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:20:25 am »
They've done a nice job of spreading out the light, but the beamshots make it appear there might be some "holes" where the light is not so even. I'd sure like to see one in person or wait till some reviews come in. I think they're definitely going in the right direction, but I'm not sure if reality will match the beamshots. I do like the appearance of the mount and find the housing pleasing to my eyes.

I think where I have just managed to buy a Cyo Deluxe on sale and it gives such a nice, even wide spread, I'll stick with it for now until the next generation or the one after (meaning about 18 months). Sometimes the difference between leading edge and bleeding edge is very fine.

As Andre has noted, B&M seems to come up with new models continuously, and the newer models don't always prove out against their predecessors, so I'll hold tight for a couple more years with the Deluxe, which so far is head and shoulders above my second-generation IQ Cyo R for sheer brightness, width, and most of all, getting rid of a hotspot I found irritating beyond all measure on 400km runs, which take me through the night. When I leave at 3:15am and return about that same time 24 hours later, then I can be pretty well assured I will be riding in 12-13 hours of darkness (depending on time of year), and that's a long time to ponder a hotspot which makes the rest of the spill beam look dim and contributes a lot to eye and rider fatigue.

I'll sure be watching the reviews on these from rando riders. Thanks, Rual, for the heads-up! It looks extremely promising.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:52:09 am »
Thanks Rual. That lamp looks like the business, at last. I might even be tempted to give up my first series Cyo for the either this edition of the IQ X or the third version of it. (BUMM sometimes lucks out with the first edition of a lamp, as they did with the Cyo. They have a pretty grim history of launching retrograde second editions, and then making a step advance in the third or fourth edition, vide the Cyo again.)

I like the French ultramarine on-indication (the blue ring), the ability to use a reflector (presumably supplied in the price) without cutting down the lumens, the sideways light slits (if they're big enough to be seen by motorists at T-junctions), the tall, adjustable mounting arm (I hope it is glass-filled, because the hitherto best tall mount by BUMM appears to depend for its rocksolid performance on being glass-filled nylon), the fact that there is light directly in front of the bike and to the sides without having to take a cut in output. In fact, this lamp appears to answer most of my criticisms of BUMM lamps in the past.

However, the light output, while plentiful, seems to have some holes in it, which could be disturbing to those of you who ride many hours through the night, especially when you're tired and could mistake a glimpsed shadow for an obstruction and swerve, perhaps into danger. I'm almost never on the bike for more than an hour at a time at night...

I'd like to see consumer-shot beam photos before I splash out, but this lamp, or one of its immediate successors, could bring me back into the BUMM family.

diapason

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 07:27:04 pm »
Wow!  Perhaps I need to upgrade!

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:21 pm »
the more i see it the more i want it. 8)

in4

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
More here. I love the reference to it becoming available in the 'Dark Season'
http://www.eurobike-show.com/eb-en/press/exhibitors-releases-detail.php?ListeID=2101&sMode=detail

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »
I see there is a new B&M dynamo light, the IQ XS, a 70 lux "small brother" of the IQ-X.
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/167/produkt/167rtsndi-01-schwarz-167rtsndi-silber.html?

70 euros from Bike 24
But given that the 100 lux IQ-X is only 10 euros more from same shop, maybe not worth it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:36:41 pm by rualexander »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:22 pm »
I see there is a new B&M dynamo light, the IQ XS, a 70 lux "small brother" of the IQ-X.
Given the voids in the beamshot, I think I would prefer my Cyo Premium: https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?
...or the IQ-X: https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/164/produkt/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html?
...though the latter has a "two-stage" beam.

I find hotspots and voids become really fatiguing in my long night rides of 10+ hours. For this reason, I prefer as smooth and even a spread of light as possible.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:38:43 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 10:38:02 pm »
Thanks, Rual. The little brother is pretty much a retrograde step with a dark band as well as a hotspot, not suitable for fast work at night on doubtful roads. But I might just be persuaded to give up my beloved first-series CYO for the 150 lux flamethrowers...

martinf

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 06:29:26 am »
Except for my wife's Brompton (battery lamps fitted only when necessary, to save a bit of weight, important for carrying the folded bike), all family bikes now have at least 1st generation Cyo.

So I can compare the 40 lux Cyo N with integrated reflector, the 60 lux Cyo from a few years ago, the 80 lux Cyo Premium and the IQ-X I fitted to my recent Raven Sport Tour.

For nearly all my riding, all are adequate. The hotspots don't really bother me as I rarely ride for more than 2 or 3 hours in the dark. The newer models have a wider beam, which probably aids visibility at roundabouts and some junctions, but I don't feel this is highly significant, the main thing for me is to have a beam in front that is highly visible to motor traffic.

Even with the 40 lux Cyo N, motor traffic (here in south Brittany, maybe different elsewhere) tends to treat the lighting like a small motorcyle rather than a bicycle (i.e. wait, rather than pull out).

When riding, I don't really notice any difference at all between the 80 lux Cyo Premium and the IQ-X, they both have a wider beam than the older lamps.

So no plans to upgrade any of this front lighting for the time being.

The one thing none of these lamps do adequately is slow off-road riding at night. For that, my 60 lux Ixon iQ Premium battery lamp is a better choice.

For rear lamps, I still stick with B&M Secula, B&M Line Plus and Cateye LD1100.

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:30 am »
The one thing none of these lamps do adequately is slow off-road riding at night. For that, my 60 lux Ixon iQ Premium battery lamp is a better choice.

I have a 40 Lux Fly-E which, sucking on the 36V battery of my electrified bike, gives full power all the time. It is quite inadequate to nighttime offroad work, and dangerous even in many of the lanes where the ditch is right up to the tarmac and there isn't enough width of lighting to go securely at any appreciable speed. I put the SON and first series Cyo back on the bike because it is a superior lamp, regardless of what BUMM says about the Fly's optics being the same.

Those extra 20 Lux on your battery IQ must be worth the premium you paid, to coin a pun.