Author Topic: Rail Fares  (Read 3000 times)

Willbo

Rail Fares
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:20:24 pm »
Hi

I have been considering touring over new year somewhere in Scotland and spending NY in a bothy or some other remote location.

So I looked for a return rail ticket leaving on 30th and returning on the 2nd - Hartlepool to Dalwhinnie - PRICE £187.50

You can hire a car for £20.00 per day + fuel (+ £60 Diesel) = a total of around £100.

Where's the incentive for cyclists (or anyone else) to take the train anywhere......

energyman

Re: Rail Fares
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:46:52 pm »
If you have a look on the Virgin East Coast web site you may get it a bit cheaper.  However if you have a rail card it can be even cheaper. The down side is you have to be old for some of them !

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:53:51 pm »
wow that's rubbing it in ,i think i'de e hiring the feckin car at those prices..

jags

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:15:57 pm »
 Tip always book with the respective train company direct, Try re booking, Hartlepool Edinburgh return on Virgin East coats  and Edinburgh Dalwhinnie return on Scott rail, Just done that on the respective websites with your dates and in come in for less than a £100. You might be able to get more off if you adjust you time of travel ,  Also if you are over 50 you can get a rail card from Scottrail and save even more. You will have to phone Scottrail to book a space for your bike.

Andy

ps,

Speak with Scottrail before booking tickets!  restrictions might apply on early trains for bikes,

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:27:37 pm by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:19:18 pm »
Top tip: Try breaking the route up.  For example I found that Oxenholme to York was £57, but Oxenholme to Leeds and Leeds to York return totalled £40 on the exact same trains without getting off!  I doubt you'll get it as cheap as the car hire though.

AndyE, got there first!)

Templogin

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 09:29:17 pm »
Top tip: Try breaking the route up.  For example I found that Oxenholme to York was £57, but Oxenholme to Leeds and Leeds to York return totalled £40 on the exact same trains without getting off!  I doubt you'll get it as cheap as the car hire though.

AndyE, got there first!)

+1 on this, often referred to as split-ticketing.  There is software, and maybe websites to do this for you.  I always try to travel 1st on the longer trips, just for the peace and quiet really.  I fund this by booking it in advance.  Even the day before can make a difference.  Of course it means that the bike is usually at the opposite end of the train.  The only time I have really baulked at the price was £770 for two tickets Aberdeen to Penzance, but that is a bloody long way.