Author Topic: Well done Jim MacTaggart  (Read 4315 times)

Vintagetourer

Well done Jim MacTaggart
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:06:00 am »
Recently I was pleased to meet 77 year old Jim MacTaggart.  Jim took on the substantial ride from Adelaide to Sydney across SE Australia on his fully loaded yellow Thorn Nomad.

He came out to Oz to help his 85 year old friend in a triathlon in Adelaide, then after the triathlon, set off solo for Sydney on his Thorn.

He finished the tour in good time, and today I received a message from him that he is at Sydney airport and about to head back to to the UK. Well done Jim. You are an inspiration.

Jim's ride is journalled here.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/DowntoOz

in4

Re: Well done Jim MacTaggart
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »
That's a great read and inspirational too. Does anyone know what Hilleberg tent that is?

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »
He's some man for one man  8) 8)
 very nice rig he has and look at all that sunshine sure how could a fella go wrong.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:34:11 pm »
I had the great pleasure to meet him a few years ago when he passed through my village on his Nomad.
He has done many tours. I think before the Oz one he was in South America.

He has been very supportive on a number if issues for me.
A great guy.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:00:34 pm »
That's a great read and inspirational too. Does anyone know what Hilleberg tent that is?
Looks like a Hilleberg Soulo. I had one for a while but didn't like it.

StillOld

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 05:38:34 pm »
Having started cycling late in life I love reading about adventurers of this age group.....good man. Currently studying maps for next year.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:08:27 pm »
Having started cycling late in life I love reading about adventurers of this age group.....good man. Currently studying maps for next year.

Join the club!
I'm 62 and did the Pamir Highway this year.
The roads were full of young folk on gap years or doing UK to China kind of things.
All good sports and although I did feel a bit of square peg at times, on the whole they made me feel welcome.

What maps are you perusing?

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 09:44:35 pm »
Matt, I'm surprised you only met young tourers on your journey through the Stans. When I look around at the touring cyclists I know locally, see on the road or read in CGOAB, they're all around and about my vintage (64 in February) or older! It might be catching on with young hipsters, but I don't know very many.  ;D

My eight friends who recently crossed Australia from Perth to Newcastle are all 50+, and six are older than me!

I want to be fit and active when I'm Jim's age, so better keep on pedalling!  :)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:27:45 am »
Matt, I'm surprised you only met young tourers on your journey through the Stans. When I look around at the touring cyclists I know locally, see on the road or read in CGOAB, they're all around and about my vintage (64 in February) or older! It might be catching on with young hipsters, but I don't know very many.  ;D

My eight friends who recently crossed Australia from Perth to Newcastle are all 50+, and six are older than me!

I want to be fit and active when I'm Jim's age, so better keep on pedalling!  :)

No. I did meet others my own age. In fact I traveled with 3 others my own age.
I guess it was the fact that when staying in hostels the ratio was always about 80-90% 20 year olds.
Nowt against them of course.
I was one once!

Quite funny at times when they insisted on helping an old fella out despite me being capable.
Guess we can all be guilty of agism at times?
😉

StillOld

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:31:04 pm »

Join the club!
I'm 62 and did the Pamir Highway this year.
The roads were full of young folk on gap years or doing UK to China kind of things.
All good sports and although I did feel a bit of square peg at times, on the whole they made me feel welcome.

What maps are you perusing?

Sorry missed this....looking at Scotland again but doing the Hebrides and then back round the top. Hopefully going to France and crossing the Pyrenees...nothing far away at the moment as I am still learning!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:04 pm »
Nice to hear about your Scottish plans.
2 years ago I did the Scottish end to end.
Ferry from Aberdeen, where I live. Then up to the Northern tip of Shetland.
Muckle Flugga
Then back South via Orkney's, Harris, Skye, Fort William, Oban and to Mullmof Galloway.
Let me know if you need any tips.
Matt