Author Topic: Shoes??  (Read 17325 times)

Istanbul_Tea

Shoes??
« on: December 11, 2003, 02:37:11 pm »
Any opinions or thoughts on a comfortable touring shoe that is as good on the pedals as off... e.g. one that serves well for riding AND walking??
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 04:30:54 pm by Istanbul_Tea »

Cephas

Re: Shoes??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 09:48:08 pm »
Call me Mr. Retro, but if you want a comfortable walking shoe then go  get a comfortable, sturdy low cut hiking shoe at your local outfitter (EMS, LL Bean, etc in the US). Then mate it with MKS GR9 platform pedals (SJSC in the UK, Rivendell or Harris in the US) with clips and straps. You can wear anything with these pedals, so when your shoes fall apart in Azerbaijan you just get a pair of cheap sneakers and keep going.

Grant Petersen at Rivendell, THE Retro-Grouch, says "If you put these on a bike, you probably will never take them off". And would SJSC offer them as a recommended option on the xTc, eXp and Nomad if they didn't work? Inexpensive, too.

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 04:30:22 pm »
Me thinks you have a great idea there!  Time for an email to Robin to change the pedals on my eXp.

Thx Cep!!

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 06:43:48 pm »
Cep-

Going off your suggestion...

What kinds of shoes have you worn for touring?  Hiking boots, sneaks??  Any suggestions on that particular area?

Thanks

TimCPike

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 12:19:21 pm »
Get a pair of shoes with recessed cleats (almost certainly spd's). You can walk in them and they are so much better than cycling with straps.

These will never be as good as a proper walkign shoe, but they are fine for a few miles.

Chris Land

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 11:03:48 am »
Shimano spd compatable shoes - the ones with the velcro strap over the laces.  They're great.  Really comfy to walk in and they have the recessed cleat option.  I've been using them the last year for touring and commuting daily and they are fine.

BUT - I would still go back to quill and clips for a long tour.  The sole wears pretty quicky if you are walking.  This makes walking harder and the cleats also start to wear at the front, especially walking on concrete etc.  It's basically just something else to worry about and go wrong/replace.

I have also heard tales of soles splitting where the cleat is as the stress is more localised with spds.  

They are nicer to cycle with though, so I guess its all how you weigh it up...

Griffer

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 09:38:36 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Land

Shimano spd compatable shoes - the ones with the velcro strap over the laces.  They're great.  Really comfy to walk in and they have the recessed cleat option.  I've been using them the last year for touring and commuting daily and they are fine.

Are your shoes the Shimano mo37's?
Im just trying to choose a pair of SPD compatable shoes for touring Newzealand and these look good.

Chris Land

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 09:49:22 am »
Yep - the very ones.  Both wife and I have them and they work really well with spds.  Will stick with them for future touring even though I am planning to go back to clips for easier walking.  

Of course, when they are newish they are fine even with the spds, it just gets a bit more awkward when the soles wear down and you replace the cleat so it sticks out more...