Author Topic: Homemade Rohloff shifter  (Read 963 times)

Matt2matt2002

Homemade Rohloff shifter
« on: February 01, 2024, 09:33:16 am »
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3d2&doc_id=25612&v=W

An interesting idea.
Anyone else had a go at making their own shifter?

Best
Matt
From crazyguyonabike.

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

Re: Homemade Rohloff shifter
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 01:28:43 pm »
Thanks for posting, that was interesting.

But I prefer a twist shifter that I can get more of a grip on and I do not see wood accomplishing that.  In late 2016 I moved my shifter to the right bar end on my Nomad Mk II with drop bars using the Hubbub Adapter.  I have the second generation round shifter, bought it in early 2013. 

I have posted here what I did several times.  The rubber abraded too easily, was wearing down.  There is a product in USA called Shoe Goo, I do not know if it is sold in other countries.  It is a viscous liquid, comes in a tube like a toothpaste tube.  You can apply that to worn shoe soles to build them up as they wear down.  The liquid has a lot of volatile chemicals in it, I do it outside to avoid breathing them, it shrinks as it hardens into a hard rubber like substance.  It comes in clear or black.  I used the black, put on three bumps, two layers, similar to the old triangular shaped grip.

First photo is from 2016 soon after I put it on, at that time the shifter was three years old.  Second photo is from January 2022 (winter, snow in background).  Shoe Goo is holding up really well, almost no wear on it and it reduces the wear on the original round shifter rubber.

I tried many other things prior to the Shoe Goo, but all eventually did not perform well but the Shoe Goo is a keeper.

I might eventually buy a new shifter, but not in any hurry to do so.

dsim

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 04:23:08 pm »

I have posted here what I did several times.  The rubber abraded too easily, was wearing down.  There is a product in USA called Shoe Goo, I do not know if it is sold in other countries.  It is a viscous liquid, comes in a tube like a toothpaste tube.  You can apply that to worn shoe soles to build them up as they wear down.  The liquid has a lot of volatile chemicals in it, I do it outside to avoid breathing them, it shrinks as it hardens into a hard rubber like substance.  It comes in clear or black.  I used the black, put on three bumps, two layers, similar to the old triangular shaped grip.

That looks neat! Will have a look and see if you can get something similar in the UK.

Edit, it's available in the UK (e.g. https://justpuddingbasins.co.uk/online-store/arts-crafts/accessories/shoe-goo-ii-2-uk-approved-glue-59-1ml/ )
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:25:23 pm by dsim »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 11:40:17 pm »

That looks neat! Will have a look and see if you can get something similar in the UK.

Edit, it's available in the UK (e.g. https://justpuddingbasins.co.uk/online-store/arts-crafts/accessories/shoe-goo-ii-2-uk-approved-glue-59-1ml/ )

That's great news.
I also see it on UK eBay in smaller tubes.
But only clear.

My shifter is showing signs of wear and during my Thailand tour last May I found my hand slipping due to lack of grip.
I think I'll splash the cash and firm up my grip for round 2 in Thailand later this year.
( Any thoughts on the white numbers fading with wear? )

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 11:54:07 pm »
A ready-made wooden grip for the Rohloff shifter is available...but pricey as you might imagine. I'm not sure wood will hold up well over time and -- most critically -- moisture, and the makers do caution need for periodic re-treatment with a kit they are happy to sell you. They also offer some intriguing Ergon-like wooden handlebar grips that are internally, rotationally spring-loaded to provide a sort of suspension for the hands.

See...
https://velospring-fahrradgriffe.de/produkt/twist-grip-shifter-for-rohloff/?lang=en&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
...and...
https://velospring-fahrradgriffe.de/produkt/sen-comfort-spring-loaded/?lang=en

Best, Dan.