Author Topic: Interviewed about the plein air painting gear on my bicycle  (Read 8071 times)

jags

Re: Interviewed about the plein air painting gear on my bicycle
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 04:10:41 pm »
you guys must be minted to shop in that place crazy prices. :o :o

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 05:35:58 pm »
you guys must be minted to shop in that place crazy prices. :o :o

Just window-shopping, Anto. Tell you the truth, the only hand tool I'm really skilled with is a soldering iron -- I solder beeeee-yoooooou-tifully -- but, like Sam, I can dream. And the only reason I can solder is that for a while in the 90s I made a living designing high end audio electronics and found it faster to build my own prototypes and demo models rather than explain to some sullen nerd what I wanted. My woodwork was always of the rough and ready sort that is best described as joinery rather than cabinetmaking. This the most complicated thing I ever built, a big, ultra sensitive horn speaker (I drove it with an amp producing 0.33W, and with 1W it competed with a sportsfield PA system). Its name is HWAF, pronounced aitch-waff, for High Wife Acceptance Fidelity Loudspeaker ("If you complain about this loudspeaker, I'll build Andre's Bessel Array instead. That's always the length of the longest wall...").

I still have this loudspeaker and it still isn't even painted, never mind beautifully varnished or veneered as I'm sure several of the chaps here would have done with all those beautiful, expensive hand tools.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
That's a beautiful folded horn, Andre! I was long in love with Klipsch's creations, not that I ever actually saw or heard one! These days it's all headphones!

jags

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 06:58:24 pm »
Andre i have or should i say had a class hi fi system quad 405 amp 33 pre amp and gale gs401 speakers. but a friend called one night to show me his new acoustic guitar , while i was out making the coffee he somehow plugged his guitar in to the amp ,needless to say  his  guitar  distroyed the amp  it got it fixed a few times but never the same ,now all my albums live in the attic gathering dust.
friends huh who needs them  ???

that speaker you built looks awesome.

anto

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:33 pm »
I still have a 405 as backup amp; can't tell you how often it has been rebuilt; it just goes soldiering on. A great amp.

jags

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22:04 pm »
agree Andre gave me many a hour of great sound ,i also had the Linn Sondex turntable with moving coil  i replaced the arm cost me mega bucks at the time ,but as usual i sold it usual story. ::)