Author Topic: New Raven build -- advice sought  (Read 102213 times)

geocycle

Re: New Raven build -- advice sought
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2016, 07:32:03 pm »
Have you screwed it in beyond the threaded section? Try a few washers and see if it tightens.

djd828

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »
Jim, if the hole extended all the way through on the other side, that would be the ideal solution but the Thorn forks only have a hole threaded into the front of the crown.  I could probably still do that but it would probably require me to remove the fork and fenders entirely and then try your solution.  Other option is a inserting a heli-coil if it would accept it.....and final option is to get a new fork I hope I don't have to go this route).

djd828

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2016, 07:46:09 pm »
geocycle...I will try that now.

djd828

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »
No luck.....tried three washers and it still just spins as I turn it clockwise.  I guess I have no option other than to work with SJC first.

mickeg

« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »
I was unaware that a bolt came in that hole from SJS.  My Nomad, I do not recall and my Sherpa was bought used from someone in Canada.

On both my Sherpa and Nomad, it is an M5 bolt.  If they changed to an M6, that is news to me but I have not been watching how frames are changed over time so it is quite possible that it changed.

Usually if the bolt extends all the way through the other side, it is an M6 because that is how sidepull or centerpull brakes are installed, a bigger bolt is used on brakes. 

Some hardware stores in USA might not stock the right length if it is an M6 to go all the way through with a nut on the other side.

I concur with contacting SJS.

djd828

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2016, 09:12:34 pm »
Mick, I'm fairly sure it is a M6.  I wish the bolt hole did go all the way through to the other side of the fork crown so I could use a long  bolt with a lock washer but for some reason Thorn doesn't do that.  Just one threaded hole in the front of the crown.  I am more than a little bummed that this has happened as everything else went well.  I'm sure something like a helicoil or timesert insert would work but I will wait on a response from Thorn...I emailed them earlier and hope they get back to me tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:29:56 pm by djd828 »

djd828

« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:31 pm »
Good afternoon all--

Just wanted to let everyone know that SJC was kind enough to send me a new fork but I found something unexpected when I moved the race to the new fork.  I was unscrewing the M6 screw from the old fork and the entire screw came out including an insert I never knew was there.  Apparently these forks are not tapped directly but have a M6 insert installed.  So, the threads weren't stripped---it appears that the insert became loose and was just rotating as I tried to continue to tighten the screw with insert attached.  See pics of the screw, old fork and new fork.  I assume the new fork also has an insert.

jags

« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2016, 09:23:51 pm »
but can you not drill straight through  nut and bolt job.

geocycle

« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:54 pm »
Great to know what the problem was and that sjs did the right thing by you. Thanks for reporting back.

djd828

« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2016, 09:52:12 pm »
but can you not drill straight through  nut and bolt job.
Jags, yes I am sure that would work but I believe that SJC wants me to send the old one back or render it unusable.

DD

jags

« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2016, 10:01:31 pm »
 ;)sure send it back get a new one so.