Author Topic: New Raven build -- advice sought  (Read 102871 times)

djd828

Re: New Raven build -- advice sought
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2016, 09:15:36 pm »
Thanks Dave.....I might see if I can round them off a little with a grinder....that's the one thing the LBS really kind of missed.

David Simpson

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:20 pm »
Just take them off the bike first. :)

By the way, how do you like the Jones handlebar? I had one on my Nomad for a month or so. It was very comfortable, but I found it to be too "casual" for riding in traffic. I found that my steering wasn't as precise as with normal straight bars. I now have the Thorn flat track bar, and it's perfect for me.

- DaveS

djd828

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2016, 09:59:53 pm »
Dave, you have hit the nail on the head with the Jones bar.  I do like it quite a bit for comfort but I am finding it extremely twitchy particularly in low gear riding up hills.  It is a bit unsettling when you have cars right next to you going 50mph.  I will try it a little while longer to see how I adapt. If I can't seem to get the hang of it I may look for a polished silver straight bar to stay true to my color scheme.  I can't seem to shake myself of certain aesthetics.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:24 pm »
Wow! What a wonderful final result, Dave, perfectly suited for your needs and wholly unique.

Whenever I see a newly constructed bike, I am struck anew at how bicycles with the same frames can be personalized to look and sometimes function differently thanks to individual selection of components and accessories. Yours is like no other!

May it serve you well for many adventures ahead, and may you make many happy memories together.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:18 pm »
Ah! Forgot to ask...

Have you conferred a name on your lovely new steed?

Best,

Dan.

djd828

« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:32 pm »
Thanks Dan...yes, I'll have to ponder this whole naming thing when I am out on a long ride.  I may have to wait for my Oregon adventure.

Dave

mickeg

« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:16 pm »
Beautiful bike.  Make sure you lock it, even if you just run into the store for a moment.  A friend of mine got to the grocery store, forgot his lock.  Decided that his old bike was too ugly to worry about if he was really quick.  Ran into the store, was in it less than 5 minutes and came out, the bike was gone.  But, fortunately the thief abandoned it about 100 yards (or meters) away, probably because of the friction down tube shifters.

My community issues bike licenses for a small fee.  I never bother to renew them, since enforcement is non-existent, but I always license a bike once so there is a record of ownership.  Also, decades ago my dads bike was stolen, when it was recovered they contacted him because he had licensed it and when found they knew who to call.  A friend of mine has a daughter whos bike was stolen, a few days later she saw it posted on Craigs list with a few modifications, she called the police but they would not do anything because she had no proof of ownership - the license would have served very well for that.

I do not know what is on the top tube, please elaborate?

You said you will be installing the light, my Nomad the threaded hole in the fork that my light is installed on was slightly aimed to one side and I could not get the light to aim perfectly straight.  If that happens to you, I ended up using those spherical shaped washers like on brake pads to be able to aim the light better.  I hope I am clear on the types of washers, I am not sure what their official name is if they have one.  But if you have the same problem and have a spare brake pad holder, ...

I cut a front mudflap from the black plastic lid on the largest size Folgers coffee container.  Attached it with two really short bolts and nuts.

If you are looking for a place to store extra spokes, I usually put them in the seatpost, but I use drop bars.  Those handlebars you have look straight enough you could put the spokes inside the handlebar.

No bottle cage below?  For touring I put a bottle down there, but for riding around home I store a tube, tools, saddle cover for rain and tire levers in a container that I leave in my lower cage.

I assume you know that you should grease the seatpost where it contacts the frame.  That helps prevent dissimilar metal corrosion.

The best part of putting this time into it for assembly is that if you have a problem on a bike tour, you probably know exactly what you need to do to fix it.  So, I am glad you put the effort in, it pays off in the end.

djd828

« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2016, 11:59:41 pm »
Mick, Abus U lock and cable lock on its way. 

The item on the top tube is a leather top tube protector. It is natural leather like the seat and handlebar tape but doesn't match perfectly yet.  I will have to treat it a little to get the color a bit darker. A fellow in central Ohio makes them.

One of the main reasons that I wanted one is because I like all things leather.  A secondary reason, again, has to do with aesthetics.  The frame is wonderful and the Thorn logo is very tasteful but that Raven logo on the top tube is plain awful...so I didn't mind covering it.  Thorn needs to have someone redesign it or just remove it entirely.  Of course, I may be a bit too picky.  I'm sure I'm too picky.

mickeg

« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2016, 01:17:53 am »
I usually have a piece of foam pipe insulation on my top tube when touring, then if I have to lean it against a post or pole I can without damage to the paint.  It is a little hard to see in the photo, but it is there.  I usually leave it on the part of the top tube that the handlebar or brake lever would hit if the front wheel moves to the side when on the kickstand.  It is a little easier to see in the second photo.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2016, 04:30:15 pm »
Dave, out of curiosity what's the U piece sticking up from the top tube near the nose of the saddle?

Robbie
I'm here, there and everywhere.

djd828

« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2016, 11:28:58 pm »
Robbie, that is just a leather loop that is attached to the leather top tube protector and is used to lock the bike to an object using a U Lock so that you don't scratch the bike frame withe the U Lock.

Dave

djd828

« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »
Well, I may have run into my first problem with the frame....or specifically, the fork.  I was going to mount the Luxos U to the fork crown this afternoon and noticed that the screw in the front of the steerer tube was a bit loose.  I screwed it in to tighten it before I started my little project and noticed that it didn't tighten at all.  It screws in fine as normal and then when it reached the end of the threads, it keeps turning.  I removed it completely and then reinstalled it and it screws in fine but when it reached the point where it should tighten, it keeps turning as I continue to turn it clockwise.  I thought it might be the screw so I grabbed another one and tried and it does the same thing.  Before I contact Thorn, I wanted to make sure this isn't normal behavior...I don't anticipate it is but I wanted to check with the folks here that have more experience with their Thorns. 

mickeg

« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2016, 06:59:19 pm »
Sounds like the threads are stripped.

An M5 bolt threaded into mine just fine.  Mine are a Sherpa and a Nomad, but not Raven.  I assume Raven also is threaded for an M5 bolt.

But before you contact Thorn, make sure it is an M5 bolt you are using, it should be the same size bolt as the water bottle cage bolts.

djd828

« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2016, 07:07:07 pm »
Mick...it is the same bolt that came with the fork.  According to the Thorn website, it is an M6 bolt.  As I mentioned, it threads just fine but just doesn't tighten.   I hope the threads aren't stripped after I have made it this far.  I wouldn't want to have to get a new fork just for this and I certainly don't want to deal with re-tapping threads....I don't have those types of tools in my possession.  Not that I need the light right away but it would put a bit of a damper on the bike build project.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2016, 07:31:12 pm »
Can you just put a nut on the other side? With a lock washer... seems like it ought to hold.