Author Topic: New Raven build -- advice sought  (Read 102884 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Raven build -- advice sought
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
Also, do you have a blog or any other documentation concerning your Eastern and Western Europe crossing?  The main reason I am building the bike is to attempt a London to Istanbul trip (and possibly longer) and I am interested in the route you took across Europe.
Thanks for the kind words, Dave. I arrived home to a very ill family member who required long-term care, so work on the blog and all non-essentials were delayed. It is coming, and I will let Forum members know once it is up and running.

Thorn have a wonderful satisfaction guarantee on their complete bikes, but only for EU customers. I'm in the upper-left corner of the US, so had to be extra-sure of my choice before ordering. I'd suggest calling and emailing Thorn -- again, if you've done it once -- to ask their thoughts about sizing. They want happy customers. If you can manage a test ride at Bridgwater, so much the better. I've found Thorn's sizing advice to be good, and phone and email discussions with them resolved my own dilemma as to which of two possible sizes to choose. Like you, I stand 5'11" and I could have ridden either in a Nomad, but was happier with the larger frame for a variety of reasons and its generous top-tube slope meant I would still have adequate standover -- something I needed for an expedition bike used on rough terrain.

I think it is important to first resolve any sizing issues; the components will fit any frame size frame.

Yes! Looks do matter, but sometimes functional beauty trumps aesthetic beauty. I thought a long time before adding a Thudbuster to my classic randonneur bike with otherwise all-silver components, but I don't see it while riding and it becomes more beautiful with each passing mile on 17-hour days in the saddle.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:51:26 pm by Danneaux »

djd828

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 07:35:35 pm »
Thanks John for the additional advice.  I wish I had an opportunity to test drive the Raven but I am sure I could make either size work for me.  I will carefully review the measurement info in the Thorn Mega Guide and go with their recommendation.   Yes, I did see what comes with the frame and I will probably swap out both the headset and the seat post.  Over the years I have built up an allegiance to Thomson and Chris King...and am willing to pay the price.  I appreciate their approach and dedication to the parts they produce. 

I looked at the spacers you recommended and it looks like black seems to be the trend.  I haven't noticed if they make them in silver.  I know that CK and Phil make spacers in a very nice silver but I have (financial) limits to my allegiance---their spacers are incredibly expensive.

The handlebar is already in my stable of products purchased.  I went for a Jones Loop bar so it looks like I will be going with the "L" version of whatever frame I choose.  I also went with the White Industries Eno cranks.  I am going to have a very multinational bike build when everything is settled...but I wanted to ensure that some of my favorite US manufacturers are heavily represented. 

Danneaux, thanks for the additional advice and I am sure that the rational side of me will prevail when I do decide on a frame size and seat post.   Also, it looks like I will be putting the new bike through its paces in your neck of the woods next summer.  I have to work in Portland next summer and plan to ride the Oregon coastal route afterwards.  I am looking forward to it.

Dave

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:51:35 pm by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 08:28:48 pm »
Sounds like you're getting everything well sorted, Dave; and now that you mention it, I do recall your opting for the Jones bar.

Your choice of Thomson & CK components is well-founded, for sure, and if you draw the line at high-end silver spacers, well, maybe a black-and-silver contrast will work well too.

One of the good things about these bikes is that changing an individual component can be done at a reasonable price: my 36T stainless Surly ring cost me USD 30, for example, and the stainless Problemsolver chainring bolts were about USD 15. Taken together, they can add up, for sure, but tweaking one part at a time is easier & cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:51:43 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »
Sate my curiosity and tell me where the photos of your Nomad were taken. That second photo should be in the Thorn Megabrochure.

You shamed me into finally updating my trip report, start at reply number 6 at this link where it says in bold print UPDATE.:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11321.0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:51:53 pm by Danneaux »

djd828

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 03:18:38 pm »
Instead of creating anot her post, I thought it would be a good idea continuing on with this one to round out my bike build.  I have the crank, handlebar, brakes and wheels sorted out and will wait for the frame to arrive to deal with the seatpost and stem.

I would like to know folks thoughts on racks.  I don't mind using the Thorn racks as they seem to get great reviews.  However, I know many folks love the Tubus equipment and I think my decision will be between the two.  The only concern I have about using the Tubus racks is the potential hardware incompatibility with the Raven dropouts.  I believe I read something about the Thorn bikes coming with 6mm screws but most rack manufactures use 5mm hardware.

I could be completely wrong about this but I wanted to get the facts in order before I make my decision.  Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's input in helping me put together my bike.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:52:02 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 03:29:15 pm »
tubus are excellent light and strong  .if thorn were as light as tubus i'de buy the thorn makes sense really.
what about lights are you going with battery lights of dynamo system.
what tyres are you going for,
bartape ,
gps system.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:52:12 pm by Danneaux »

djd828

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »
Jags,  I use a Garmin 810 now and like it, I will be getting a Son28 dyno and most likely a Luxos U headlight.  For tires, it will be some version of Schwalbe.  Seat will either be a B17 or Berthoud Aspin with matching bar tape.  I am still deciding between the red or black frame.  Yes, I do still have some decisions left.

I have decided to get the frame sooner than I expected and will probably order it in the next month.  I will most likely stick with the original 565L instead of the smaller frame.

The racks are next up on my list and I need to know if I need to do any drilling of the Tubus mount holes for the front or rear racks if I go in that direction.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:52:23 pm by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 04:24:19 pm »
I believe I read something about the Thorn bikes coming with 6mm screws but most rack manufactures use 5mm hardware

Dave, I think it's the Nomad which has the 6mm bolt holes. The Raven has the standard 5mm.

Tubus racks have a good rep, for sure. FWIW, I use a Topeak on the rear, and an Arkel low-rider at the front -- wanted to be sure I got racks which would mate with my panniers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:52:53 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:57 pm »
You should check the brochure for the Raven.  My Sherpa has M5 bolts, but my Nomad has M6.  I do not know about the Raven, but I would not be surprised if it is M5.

I like the Tubus Logo EVO rear and Tubus Ergo front.  In the photo I also have a small Nashbar platform rack mounted on the front cantilever posts.  The orange thing in the first photo is my polartec vest bundled up on that front platform rack.

I used to use the Surly racks, but they weigh a ton and I think these Tubus racks I have are as strong and might even be stiffer.

But, I only use these racks for touring, at home the Tubus racks get taken off.  I do not use low riders around home on the front and I want a much wider platform on back.  The Logo has a very narrow platform which is a disadvantage around home, but it makes the rack stiffer so it is an advantage on a tour.  In the second photo you can see I have a duffel on top of my rear panniers, but that duffel does not even touch the rack, it sits up higher.   In the third photo I have the Tubus racks on my LHT, instead of the duffel on that trip I used a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddle bag, so the top of my logo rack only has a narrow tent pole bag on it.

I am not opposed to the Thorn racks, I have never seen one.  But they did not offer a discount on the racks when I bought my Nomad frame and I bought my Sherpa frame from a private party.

First two photos are my Sherpa.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:58:14 pm by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »
[Since the topic has morphed from the original seatpost diameter query to the larger Raven build, I have changed the title so it will be more descriptive and easily searchable. The new Forum software is not so facile as the old in this regard, so we shall see if the changes "take" going forward.

Later note: It seems they have; yay!

-- Dan.]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:47:06 pm by Danneaux »

djd828

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 05:13:53 pm »
Mickeg, those photos are fabulous...I want to be dropped right into the middle of that with my bike and just ride.  Nothing like that here in bourbon country but it will give me the incentive to get off of my computer and onto my LHT for a nice 30 miler or so.  I guess I will be back scouring the Mega Brochure later to sort out the racks after I return.

Danneaux, thanks for changing the post subject...it has certainly morphed but it will be nice having all of everyone's great advice in one tidy post.

Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 05:45:38 pm »
Dave,

Others have answered most of your questions going forward, so I will just do a quick recap before delving into the differences between the racks, as I own both Thorn and Tubus (and Surly, and others) and can do a quick comparison for you.

• The Nomad is the only Thorn in the current lineup with 6mm rack mounts. All others are 5mm.

• Thorn, Tubus' Evo series and Surly's Nice racks all accept either 5mm or 6mm rack bolts. The Tubus Classic series may accept 6mm, but the hole is a little smaller, and the powdercoat might scratch a bit when the bolt is turned into the hole. However, I see no problem in using 6mm bolts on it. So: All the racks accept either 5mm or 6mm bolts.

• Tubus has recently (last 18 months or so) overhauled their lineup, updating many of their models to the new "Evo" (Evolutionary) design. These have a "3-D" investment-cast lower mounting point that is stiffer and offers better bracing at the loss of a built-in secondary mount for the rear fender stays. The hardware and design for the upper stay attachment has been streamlined and offers two ways for attachment. Some racks have been also been modified at the forward part of the upper deck. The Cargo, for example, loses its two "bullhorn ends" in favor of a more conventional "closed return" of the tubing on the top deck. Functionally, the old and new Tubus racks perform the same, but I generally prefer the newer designs incorporating these evolutionary changes. They are a bit more developed than the originals and are are sleeker to my eye. I also prefer a closed return for the top deck tubes, as it provides another lashing point and causes less rubbing to cargo strapped atop the rack.

• Tubus racks are very adjustable with a minimum of fuss and spare stays in a variety of lengths and bends can quickly solve even difficult fitting challenges without fabrication.

• mickeg makes a good point: Tubus' racks are available in a variety of designs. Some may be better suited for your needs than others. Some are targeted toward the minimalist and place and emphasis on weight savings over cargo capacity. Others are more general-use in design, while the remainder are geared toward loaded touring, making them less versatile for other needs. For example, I like my Logo Evo very much, but the design leaves a top deck too narrow to support a rack-top pack. I modified mine by using P-clamps to secure a sheet of DuPont Zytel to make a wider top deck to adequately support my rack pack. Tubus racks are good, but should be chosen to match your needs for ultimate success.

• Thorn's own Expedition racks have been superb in my own use. I was initially put off by what seemed a greater weight and less versatile design, but have not found them lacking. They do have features that are sometimes overlooked:
REAR:
• Heat-treated.
• Top deck is extended so a taillight is not obscured by a rack-top load or panniers.
• The rack includes a choice of either another steel tube cross-brace or a versatile taillight mounting plate for the ends of the top rails. The taillight mount is pre-drilled so a variety of lights can be easily attached, or new holes can be drilled. Like Tubus, replacement parts are available in case of repair or modification.
• Extremely rigid due to direct triangulation and very thick mounting points.
• Nice, wide top deck supports a rack-top load nicely.
• Rear rack has threaded bosses to allow direct fitting of the mudguard (fender) stays, making for rattle-free fitment.
• A much thicker, more durable coating than is found on Tubus racks.
• Mounting brackets require some fabrication to fit: They must be bent in a bench vise, then cut to fit. They are made of thick stainless steel with multiple holes, so no drilling is needed. Once fitted, the rack cannot be transferred to another bike of a different size or make unless new mounting brackets are bent, cut, and fitted, so less convenient than Tubus in this regard. The upside if you leave it on one bike is it becomes a virtual extension of the frame.
• In my own deflection tests, Thorn's Expedition rear rack was most resistant to lateral deformation and remained the most resistant to lateral sway. Several Tubus designs came in a close second (depending on design), and the Surly Nice Rack (Rear) was last, mostly due to the narrow squashed-tube mounting points. Some Tubus designs were lightest, the Thorn a bit heavier, and the Surly was heaviest of all but least rigid in my tests. The same observations held true for the front racks I've compared and tested: Lightest was the Tubus (Tara and Duo models, in that order), Thorn was a bit heavier, and Surly heaviest of all but least resistant to side loads in my own testing, again mostly due to their mount design, which is very robust in resisting vertical loads over lateral loads.

• All these racks have coated tubing. In my testing, Tubus' finish was most frangible and subject to damage, but they offer the possibility of clear, stick-on tapes to prevent damage caused by hook vibration. The tapes must be applied when the racks are new. My luck with them was uneven. Both Surly's finish was much more resistant to vibration-caused damage, while Thorn's finish was thickest and most robust. Ortlieb's glass-filled nylon pannier hooks are more likely than some other brands to cause damage (Ortlieb and Tubus are allied companies and Tubus racks are designed with Ortlieb bags in mind, but are versatile enough to fit all brands). Some Forum members have had good luck attaching various kinds of tubing to protect their racks of all brands, padding them out from 10mm OD to 16mm and dispensing with the sometimes loss-prone sizing adapters found on most Ortlieb pannier hooks.

FRONT:
• Like Tubus' Duo lowrider, the Thorn Low-Loader MkV is intended for attachment only to forks with bosses on both sides of the fork blades. Thorn's mounts are a fully threaded cylinder brazed onto the fork blade without piercing it, so match this requirement.
• Thorn's Low-Loader can be modified to fit by bending it.
• It will accept 5mm or 6mm bolts.
• Is heat-treated.
• Like Thorn's rear rack, it is an extremely rigid design with a more robust powder coating than Tubus.
• As I recall, Thorn's heat-treated chromoly steel rack tubes have a 1mm wall thickness. The inner brace on Thorn's front racks is made of anodized aluminum, as are the spacing blocks.

In actual use, racks appropriately chosen from the Tubus lineup, the Surly, and the Thorn racks all perform well for most needs and the vast majority of users are satisfied with their purchases. If lightweight is the highest priority, then choose carefully from the Tubus lineup knowing some models favor light weight over cargo capacity and vice versa. Surly make just one model front and rear rack, as does Thorn. All three have proven "strong enough" and breakage is rare these days. Tubus does offer a 5-year warranty against breakage in use, but have denied claims arising from blowover and fallover. I've been very pleased with my Thorn Expedition and Low-Loader Mk V racks for heavy expedition use and have no complaints whatsoever about their performance.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:47:10 am by Danneaux »

rualexander

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:57 pm »
I use a Tubus Tara front rack on my sherpa, I like this rack because it is easy to fit and remove when flying or packing the bike in a car etc., the rack kind of folds up flat in a single unit and can be easily packed in my luggage. The hoop over the front wheel is sometimes handy for lifting the front end of the bike off the ground.

jags

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 08:00:24 pm »
the tubus rear racks are very narrow  on top not great for strapping a rack bag.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 08:10:18 pm »
the tubus rear racks are very narrow  on top not great for strapping a rack bag.
Agreed for the Logo models (Classic and Evo), but the Cargo Classic and Cargo Evo have wide platforms.

Tubus platform width varies by model.

All the best,

Dan.