Author Topic: Anyone fallen off recently?  (Read 19000 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Anyone fallen off recently?
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:48:10 am »
Cycling home from work yesterday evening - along a road that I must have used at least 2000 times! My bike decided that that I had had enough of that particular stretch of road and decided to try the drainage ditch instead.  (Said road crosses a salt marsh and floods regularly)

Needless to say both the bike and myself were covered in mud, luckily however neither of us were damaged - other than my pride.  (I was probably travailing at 18 to 20 mph at the time so I really was lucky)

Reason for crash - Not looking where I was going - due to low sun.

Conclusion - I was a prize Muppet!

geocycle

Re: Anyone fallen off recently?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:13:40 am »
Unlucky, pleased the bike was OK -and you of course!  I often think that good weather with low sun and your thoughts elsewhere is more dangerous than the grotty stuff where you have to concentrate.

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 09:38:32 pm »
Came off my mtb at Glentress forest in the Tweed valley the other weekend - was staying nearby and had a few hours to spare. Chose the blue(next to easiest!) route. Couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground climbing steep hairpins and went off over the steep downhill side - couldn't unclip in time so rolled down to the hairpin below. Fortunately nobody nearby to see my, felt like a real p*****k! Slight dent in the frame and a couple of bruises on hips, elbows but otherwise carried on for an enjoyable afternoon.

I put it down to changing my stem to a longer one the night before due to a stripped thread, which upset the fore/aft balance and made the front end a bit twitchy. Or maybe I just need a bit more practice on steep hairpins!

It's a great MTB centre for a visit if anybody is ever in the vicinity.

MOULTY

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:40:04 pm »
Thankfully no,touch wood !!!!!!!!!!!1

;D ;D ;D ;D

john28july

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:53:46 am »
Thankfully no,touch wood !!!!!!!!!!!1

;D ;D ;D ;D

Hello,
I was crossing a Canal bridge Sunday. The road was dirty wet and slippery. I only knew how slippery when my bike slid away from me with no warning. I went down. Through the rail at the side of the bridge went my arm. The rail rammed up into my armpit. My ribs hit the rail, then my head (with helmet) hit the rail-hard. The sound in my head was like a bomb going off. I could not believe that I was still alive. I was helped up by a number of passers by. I was really in a great deal of pain. Help was summoned by mobile phone. I and my bike (Thorn Club Tour) had to be taken home (15 miles) by a car!
Today Monday I am Black and blue up my left side. My kneck is really painful with 'whiplash' and my leg hurts.
For those who argue the use of helmets-my response is-I am alive or at least not unconcious in Hospital due to my wearing a helmet. The helmet is in need of replacement. It is a MET helmet and I know now that the helmet is stronger than it looks. The helmet has a dent in its side.
This is my first fall for over 11 Years and I certainly hope my last.
For those interested, my bike seems OK. The saddle is turned 45 degrees from straight and the left brake lever is damaged but thankfully everything else seems OK.
John........
www.pbase.com/john28july

lewis noble

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:33:07 am »
Ouch!!

Sounds a bad fall.  But I suppose that the railings that injured you stopped you ending up in the canal??!!  Not much comfort, I suppose.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lewis

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:51:07 am »
Tough luck John,  I hope you get back on the bike soon and the fall doesn't knock your confidence.  I had a spill 18 months ago and the memory of it still recurs when riding in icy conditions.

Glad nothing was broken.

julk

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:53:31 am »
John,
Sorry to hear about your fall.

It may be worth you taking Arnica 30c tablets, it can help relieve severe bruising, concussion and shock.
The cream is also worth trying, but not on any broken skin.

I hope this helps.

john28july

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
Hello,
Thank you all for the sympathy!
I have just been taken back to where the incident happened. It was caused by rivets holding the bridge surface plates down. these rivetts are about  an inch across and protrude about  half an inch. I have also reported this incident to the Waterways people. The bridge operator was actually aware of the matter and tells me I should claim damages. I have sent pictures of my bruising and what caused it and shall now relax (?) until I hear more.
Again thanks for the kind thoughts all of you. It still hurts though! It seems that the bikes front wheel has some damage. I will get this checked over when I feel better.
John.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:41:34 pm by john28july »

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »
Sorry to hear about your fall John and get well soon.

lancer17

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 08:44:13 am »
Hope you feel better soon, hope you are feeling better soon

jags

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:56:46 pm »
that was a nasty fall john really glad your ok,these accidents happen so quick
your right about helmets there life savers no doubt about it ,
anyhow john glad your hear to tell the tale and keep takeing the pills,

jags

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:01 pm »
ah well went and did it yesterday, dident think the road's were so slippy boy was i wrong.
i hit a patch of ice down i came ,broke my collorbone brused neck and rib's sitting here in lot's of pain but here to tell the tale thank god ,helmet split in two done it's job well great bit of kit never leave home without one .talk soon bye bye for now .

geocycle

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 03:32:12 pm »
Jags, you have my sympathy a broken collar bone is not nice.  Hope you can keep yourself distracted with bike forums while things mend.

john28july

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 03:44:05 pm »
Jags,
I hope that it was not me who started all this interest? Hows the new Sherpa>
Sit tight, I am and it still hurts too.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july