Author Topic: Winglights anyone?  (Read 2758 times)

in4

Winglights anyone?
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:16:52 pm »
I came across these winglights. I haven't seen them before but thought they may be  of interest.
http://www.cycl.bike/

rualexander

Re: Winglights anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:43 pm »
Pretty pointless, indicators have been done before, never caught on for a good reason.
Hand signals are easier to see.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »
My neon-yellow knit hi-viz "safety" gloves from the Dollar Store work great for daytime. If I can sew some reflective tape on the backs, I'll be set for nighttime signaling as well.

I bought several pairs as a hedge against loss and dirt.

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:06:04 pm »
These lights could be useful for riding at night in the rain. I agree that hand signals are more visible in the daytime.

I found their website to be rather thin on technical details. I couldn't find any info about what batteries the lights use, or how long the batteries will last.

- Dave

IanW

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »
My neon-yellow knit hi-viz "safety" gloves from the Dollar Store work great for daytime.
If I can sew some reflective tape on the backs, I'll be set for nighttime signaling as well.

I use road-side mechanics' hi-vis gloves, specifically these: http://www.drapertools.com/product/27618/Expert-High-Visibility-Mechanics-Gloves-Large.

With these gloves on, arm out-stretched, I rotate the (back of) glove to alternately face forwards and backwards, to effect blinking indicator effect.
It seems to work quite well.

In the past I experimented with using amber/yellow LED blinkies, clipped to the back of my gloves, which I had modified to insert a interuption into the battery supply that was re-connected via a pair of wires connected to some press-stud halves sewn to the thumb and (base of) index finger on my gloves.

Then arm-outstretched with tip of thumb touching base of index finger I have "indicators"
positioned at the furthest separation from the centre-line of the bicycle for best effect

The only problem was that the blinkies made my gloves rather bulky and liable to catch on something.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:10:37 pm »
With these gloves on, arm out-stretched, I rotate the (back of) glove to alternately face forwards and backwards, to effect blinking indicator effect.
It seems to work quite well.
Ah! Just what I had in mind, Ian; a sort of semaphore effect. Thanks! Time to rev up the sewing machine.

I like the appearance of those little Winglights, but they do look vulnerable to damage if the bike were to fall over or if it were leaned against a brick wall.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:40:14 am »
They won't work anyway if you're running closed bar-ends, like with my Ergon grips.