Author Topic: Thorn Nomad "I found it"  (Read 7983 times)

jul

Thorn Nomad "I found it"
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:09:04 pm »
I study all offer about a Nomad or Raven bike, also frame only.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:55:59 pm by julio »

jags

Re: Thorn Nomad Mk2 540L 565L/ Thorn Raven 530L /565L
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »
run that by me again Julio  :o ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:13 am »
Anto,

Looking at Julio's first post to the Forum ( http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5445.msg29117#msg29117 ), I think he is getting closer to purchasing a Nomad or Raven in these sizes and will consider all possibilities in the used market.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:19 am »
Parsing his sentence in his own language, he is eithrr considering all offers he's received, or will consider all offers he receives within some unspoken but presumed reasonable time. Anybody who still has a suitable bike not yet offered to Julio should take the second interpretation.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:51:15 pm by Andre Jute »

jul

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:23:35 am »
Yes i take a lot of time before deciding   ;)

Do you think it's will be easy to find some opportunity ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:37:22 pm by julio »

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:00:19 pm »
you would want a 4 leaf shamrock to get the bike you want second hand .
but i wish you the best of irish luck in your hunt.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:43 pm »
Hi Julio!

All good luck wished to you in your quest for a Thorn.

I think you are wise to make a request for one -- the more people who know you're looking, the better. Transactions do sometimes take place off-list, between members who communicate by Personal Message (PM).

There are a number of resources available for someone wanting a specific size or model used Thorn...

First choice would be Bike For Sale listings on this Forum: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?board=16.0

Beyond that, check on SJS Cycles' own site for used demonstrator models and customer returns:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/find.asp?manufacturer_id=thorn&page=1&geoc=US

SJSC also resells bikes for customers on eBay, so it is worth checking there also:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sjs_cycles/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

If a Thorn bike appears on eBay, it will most likely be found here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Thorn+bicycle&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.XThorn+bike.TRS0&_nkw=Thorn+bike&_sacat=0

Thorn bicycles are also commonly listed on Gumtree UK. Here is a link to their "All categories" search:
https://www.gumtree.com/search?q=thorn+bike&tq=%7B%22i%22%3A%22thorn+bi%22%2C%22s%22%3A%22thorn+bike%22%2C%22p%22%3A1%2C%22t%22%3A4%7D&search_category=all&search_location=&distance=0.0001

CTC also occasionally carries listings for used Thorn bikes: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=40

Julio, don't forget the possibility to assemble a Thorn bicycle from parts. This can be a good approach if you live far from Thorn, and is a preferred method for our Australian members. Surprisingly often, bare frames will become available and you can then assemble them less expensively up using parts salvaged from used bikes or another bike you already own. In the case of a Rohloff bicycle, it is sometimes possible to buy a used Rohloff drivetrain on German eBay for a good price. See:
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.XRohloff+speedhub.TRS0&_nkw=Rohloff+speedhub&_sacat=0

There is one other possibility if you see the bike you desire at a good price but in the wrong size: Buy the bike, harvest all the parts off it, then sell the frame alone. Then, purchase a frame either new or used in the correct size and put the parts from the old bike on it.

I hope these suggestions will help you realize your dream to own a Thorn bicycle of your very own. They really are wonderful machines likely to provide a lifetime of pleasure.

Best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 10:29:48 am »
Thank you Dan for your reply, always very well explained   :)

I'm almost ready to buy it, the best solution to get a frame has the right size, will be to go at Bridgwater to try different size frame...i just need to cross the channel.

Look the Thorn reply about my supposed correct size, and please if you can tell me what you understand ( red sentences)

Thorn:
"After running your dimensions through our calculations I feel that if you were to opt for a Nomad I would recommend the 540L as the bike can go rougher and will need a little more stand over clearance to ensure you will have plenty of room against the top tube. If you opt for the Raven I would recommend 2 sizes and it will then come down to personal preference as to which one you would prefer. If you like a little more room over the top tube then go for the 530L but if you like only 20mm of clearance than you could ride a 565L but this would be tighter than recommended for rough touring."ND

If i chose a 565L Nomad
Thorn
"The 565L in the Nomad maybe just a tad too big as that bike is supposed to be able to run on much rougher terrain overall and this can cause a higher top tube to be too close to your crotch.

my body size:
175 cm tall
BFSO: 82 cm
Arm span : 174 cm

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:11:33 am by julio »

Donerol

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:55 am »

Thorn:
"After running your dimensions through our calculations I feel that if you were to opt for a Nomad I would recommend the 540L as the bike can go rougher and will need a little more stand over clearance to ensure you will have plenty of room against the top tube.
If you opt for the Raven I would recommend 2 sizes and it will then come down to personal preference as to which one you would prefer. If you like a little more room over the top tube then go for the 530L but if you like only 20mm of clearance than you could ride a 565L but this would be tighter than recommended for rough touring."ND

If i chose a 565L Nomad
Thorn
"The 565L in the Nomad maybe just a tad too big as that bike is supposed to be able to run on much rougher terrain overall and this can cause a higher top tube to be too close to your crotch.

If you stand astride the bike with both feet flat on the ground, the stand over clearance is the distance between the top tube and your crotch. If the clearance is too small you risk slamming yourself where it hurts if you have to stop suddenly.

On modern bikes set up properly you have to slide off the saddle when you stop, putting a foot down. Riding on ordinary surfaced roads you can predict where your foot will land so you can manage with smaller clearances.  However, if you are riding on rough tracks or uneven ground, you may find that your foot goes into a hollow, causing you to land on the top tube.

So it depends really on where you want to ride the bike.  You should be able to make a reasonable estimate of  the standover clearance for each bike. Measure your inside leg length.  The size matrix for each model states the clearance near the middle and at the front of the top tube -  you'll find the matrices in the brochure which I assume you already have.

my body size:
175 cm tall
BFSO: 82 cm
Arm span : 174 cm

It's the inside leg length that is important here. The tyre size matters - large tyres will raise the bike and therefore reduce the clearance. Your shoes will make a difference - if you go riding off-road in chunky boots then you will gain a little clearance.

One of the advantages of the Nomad and the Raven is their versatility - good both off-road and on-road. Thorn are recommending the smaller sizes so that you can get that versatility. If you think you will be riding only on proper roads maybe you should consider something like a Club Tour instead?

For your interest, I have a Raven Tour (the older model, now discontinued), size 497S. I am a bit smaller than you -- 167cm. I am very happy with the size as there is enough clearance for off-road riding but the reach to the drop handlebars is correct. I can ride it anywhere, both off-road and on tarmac. 

I hope this helps - good luck with your purchase.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:06 pm »
Yes i take a lot of time before i decide   ;)

Do you think it's will be easy to find some opportunity ?

As long as you aren't too firmly fixed on one particular color, it seems to me a suitable bike will como up if you're patient. A huge range of Thorn bikes is mentioned in these columns as for sale every year.

jul

Re: Thorn Nomad "I found it"
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »
Photos will coming soon here..

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 02:31:14 pm »
Congratulations, Julio!

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »
Excellent, looking forward to seeing the photos julio :)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 05:46:12 pm »
All congratulations, Julio!

All the best,

Dan.