Author Topic: Fork rake for a cylcosportif  (Read 2517 times)

ed

Fork rake for a cylcosportif
« on: March 15, 2007, 11:04:15 am »

Hello all, first post on here.

I've owned a CS for a couple of years now and has now replaced all other bikes I had [:D]
Thing is though, the fork does weigh a ton and for summer riding I would like to put a carbon fork on.  I would keep the steel one for light touring and winter riding.
questions are:
Is this a good idea or a bad one?
What is the fork rake of the CS fork.?
If I wanted slightly faster handling would changing the rake work?

Thanks

Ed

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Fork rake for a cylcosportif
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:47:49 pm »
From the sjsc site  - aprox 49mm for the 530L frame size. (I would check with them though - every size may be different)  

You could probably measure the rake on you current forks – this is easiest if the forks are removed and placed on a flat surface.   Note that the rake is measured from the centre line of the steerer not the back edge

Increasing the rake will decrease stability (i.e. handle faster)  due to the reduction of the trail (or castor) length.  
(Nb. Increasing rakes will increases the wheel base a bit which will partly counteract the affect)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 03:55:00 pm by stutho »

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:19:47 pm »
You need to look out for toe/clip clearance from your front wheel/mudguard if you change the fork rake.[:0]

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:34:12 pm »
My 545M was bought second-hand without a fork and Bob Jacksons made the fork for me with 45mm of rake. It's a lovely frame but the frame is quite heavy for 853 IMHO. Stunning fillet brazing and most peeps love the paintwork on mine. I can see why it could replace all your other bikes cos it's a superb all-rounder.