Community > Cycle Tours

Raven Nomad on the Great Divide.

(1/2) > >>

Bill:
Sorry no pics. Camera got wet.
Rode the first 1000 miles of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Canmore Alberta to Big Springs, Idaho in September.Had all kinds of weather, from stiff headwinds to dead calm, searing days and frosty nights, heavy rain and even snow.
Saw no bears, many deer, elk, pronghorn antelope and gazillions of cattle.
Got stuck in mud so bad you couldnt push your bike, nearly died of hypothermia in the rain and snow on Cabin Pass/Wigwam creek, took a nasty fall on thick gravel descending Huckleberry Pass (gravel still embedded in my helmet),and my tent blew down on the last night at Upper Red Rocks Lake. So much for ultra light gear.

Had to push a few times, the worst was 5+ km on lava creek trail between Helena and Basin Montana. The notorious Fleecer ridge was easy by comparison.

Some of my gear got shaken to bits, but the bike did great, no problems with the Rohloff. 2.1 inch Kenda small block tires were good, but I wonder if a bigger tire would be better. The wash board and rough gravel made me wish for some kind of suspension,
maybe a thudbuster seat post?

Camping gets harder as you go south, more fences and less water, more cattle. People were friendly and helpful and its not really as remote as portrayed. Hunters and ranchers were every where.

Next year maybe the rest of it, but its going to take more than a month.

jags:
Bill it that the longest off road tour in the world  think i seen a few films on it Utube.
man sounds like some adventure pity your camera ain't working .
look after yourself and enjoy whatever comes your way.

anto.

Bill:
Okay part II just completed, Big springs Idaho to Hartsel Colorado.
We had a big detour around the Tetons due to a fire related road closure, but much better weather than last year. We exited at Hartsel for logistical reasons which leaves us about a month to do next year. If only we were younger and faster.

Pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsawyers/albums/72157674433644545/with/29324343443/

in4:
Fabulous stuff, thanks for posting. If photos like these do not send you out on your bike I do not know what will. Post porridge map search imminent!

StillOld:
Great photos.....do a write up as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version