Author Topic: DIY bashring  (Read 2524 times)

onrbikes

DIY bashring
« on: September 17, 2015, 03:15:38 am »
Being frugal and handy decided to make my own bashing.  The available products were a bit lacklustre and he missus was complaining so had a go.

It looks beefy but is dead light as its made form some leftover aluminium checker plate.I did need to put a longer BB as the chainring needed to be moved to the inside.

A couple of hours, a drill, jigsaw, dividers,hammer centre pop and file gave me this.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: DIY bashring
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:51:39 am »
Most impressive by appearance, Feed!

Well done!

I've had good luck making mine back as far as the early 1980s using chainrings with the teeth removed (a la mickeg); 6t larger than the 'ring I needed to cover did well.

This may be light, but it sure *looks* the business!

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:48:26 am »
Beautiful. Must be very satisfying for you, saying, "Oh, you can't buy one like it. I made it."

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:21:53 pm »
wow, that is a real knock-out! total style!

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 04:41:56 pm »
Looks nice. 

I think I had a bit under an hour in my bashguard total.  It was a 52T alloy chainring, I used a saber saw to cut the teeth off and then I put it on the crank but before I put the chain on, spent maybe 15 minutes turning the crank while I filed down the cut edge.

Since I took the photo, I sprayed it glossy black to go with the crank and chainring.  Mine still is stamped 52T, I made not attempt to hide that.