Author Topic: The West Coast of Scotland….. in sunshine?  (Read 5957 times)

StillOld

The West Coast of Scotland….. in sunshine?
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »
Scotlands West Coast in September 2015. (I've tried to upload pictures. If they aren't there I 'll ask the clever one when she gets home)

Pilot 56yrs and 97 kg
Bikes; Thorn Nomad and Raven Tour.

Luggage loaded on my Nomad as follows; Front left pannier 3.1 kg Front right pannier 3.3 kg Rear left pannier 5.2 kg Rear right pannier 6.2 kg Handle bar bag 1.5 kg Tent 2.2kg

Total 21.5 kg plus two water bottles.

The Raven had similar weights. We had one days emergency food rations with the plan to eat locally as we went. However we also cooked the evening meal twice as it was more fun.   

We made most of our planned trip. We covered just under 450 miles (if you included riding to the train station) and climbed 23780ft. Didn’t think that was too bad a start for two old blokes who made the decision under the influence of alcohol in the spring of 2015. The wives had laughed, friends took to placing bets behind our backs, but with the promise of adventure and as much time away from DIY as we needed, the plan was made.

We caught the evening train to Waterloo, cycled across 2.1 miles of the busiest roads I had seen in a long time and clambered aboard the sleeper train to Glasgow from Euston.

Day1. Glasgow to Ardrossan. 41 miles.

Arriving at 0710hrs we collected the bikes, loaded the luggage and set off. Glasgow and Scotland in general deserve a thank you for the efforts they are making to encourage cycling. The cycle paths are everywhere and after a short spell in a cycle lane we found the “off road” cycle route to Ardrossan.
This route criss-crosses parks and lanes and ends up following a level tarmacked path for miles, an old railway track I believe. At Dalry we took to the back roads and a more direct route to the ferry port. A short trip to Arran and we turned south to Lamlash. Now I have done numerous trips all over Scotland by motorbike but it is amazing how I never remembered the hills that much. Someone had planted one on this route and at the end of a day it was not welcome. However the campsite had been chosen because it had an Indian take away nearby and that was an incentive. Tents up, showered and refreshed that was my target. At least 1500 calories in what I ate. 

Day 2. Lamlash to Lochgilphead. 44 miles.

A good northerly headwind added to the joy. Whilst at a local bakery in Brodick a fellow cyclist doing a round the island trip warned us of the THE HILL on our route to Lochranza. I swear I heard a thunder clap when he said THE HILL. Grabbing another bacon butty (just to help) we set off towards the north of Arran and the ferry back to the mainland at Claonaig. As newbie cyclists any fair to middling slope was “a hill” as far as we were concerned. A good friend and keen cyclist had told me never to get off and push the bike when challenged with a good slope. I was to stop, get my breath back and then carry on. With this in mind we romped up a hill that went on for a couple of hundred metres. No problem there I thought, what hill?
Another bend and my cockiness was rewarded with the sight of the road climbing ever upward over what seemed a mile. I could see little specks of colour as other cyclists strained uphill. They weren’t moving that fast. Indeed one pair seemed to be stationary. Maybe they were clinging on?
We paused at the bottom of this challenge and took stock of our jelly babies. Engaging a granny gear (I believe it’s called) I set off. Dean wanted to stare at it a bit longer. If it hadn’t been windy it wouldn’t have been that bad. I find I can blank my mind and just settle into some sort of day dream where I am told the pain will eventually stop. It was a long hill and I caught up with the couple who I had spotted “clinging on”. They had been forced to push in the end but they were more senior than me and I was inspired by their cheery words.
Every uphill has a reward and the views were beautiful. It was also downhill to the ferry. I passed another camp site just before the port. It looked good and was opposite a distillery. So it’s always a hard choice on Arran for campsites, whisky or curry?
The ferry was ready to depart and we went straight on and over to Claonaig.

Looking back towards Arran....the body just gives perspective, but it may be a theme.

The road out of this port is single track and fairly quiet. It does climb for a while but nothing too bad. We had lunch in Tarbet. Plenty of choice for food and a nice harbour with tables to sit at. A small climb out and then it’s basically flat and coastal to Lochgilphead. Saw some otters. A good campsite with decent food in town.
The main problem with starting the trip down south as we did, is that the only road north is a main road. There weren’t any cycle routes, but the traffic was sparse so not really a problem. A good route apparently is along the west coast via Kilberry. We had considered this but it added too many miles for us.

Day 3. Lochgilphead to Oban. 42 miles.

We followed the canal path from the town to Cairnbaan and then turned west towards Bellanoch. This a cycle route and has a good surface. We met an elderly gent who was just cycling back from the garage having got his paper. He was smartly dressed as if going out for the day. His home was 6 miles away. Another inspirational character. The cycle route eventually crosses the canal again and sets out across the moor. No traffic and easy going. It ends in a gravelly track that takes you to the village of Kilmartin. A lovely café with good snacks is worth a visit. We travelled on the main road from here but the marked cycle route takes you north east via Ford. It apparently has some notable slopes. We found some slopes on the main road though so we didn’t miss out. The wind was fairly brisk still but a lot of the hills are sheltered so it never really presented a problem. Kilmelford has another good shop and café. There is a good hill out of the village to remind you of what are doing. My leg muscles always went through a painful period after a rest but loosened up within a few minutes. Lactic acid? This was the one day we had any rain and we only had light showers for about two hours. The road is coastal for a while before one last hill into Oban. Then we discovered the one camp site was 2 miles outside Oban, and up another hill. We laughed. It’s decent though and a local taxi service did runs back and forth so not a problem. Fortified on Chinese food (very expensive compared to darn south) I slept well.

Day 4. Oban to Fort William. 54 miles.

We had looked forward to this day because there is a well marked cycle route for most of the route. Good Scottish breakfast in Wetherspoons, sunny and bright. The cycle route takes you from Oban’s town centre along the coast and then up through the woods to Dunbeg. It is tarmacked and well sign posted but I also had the Sustrans map (good value at £1)….they have obviously done a lot of work here as the route rarely uses road and even then only for short periods. We saw a seal and a handful of cyclists. The cycle route drops into villages so snacks are available. The Creagan Inn did a nice scone and I can recommend the fish chowder at The Holly Tree Hotel Loch Linnhe, Kentallen. The sun was shining again and the views before the hotel from the cycle route are fantastic.

The bridge from south to north Ballachullish is the end of the cycle route. We stayed on the pavement for as long as possible but eventually we had to join the road. It is a busy road but we had no problems and it does rejoin a pavement further along. There is an opportunity to take the ferry at Inchcree to Corran to the northern side of the loch but you need to meet up with the ferry back to Fort William from Treslaig. Apparently it will turn out for cyclists after hours. We travelled on the main road to the camp site at Glen Nevis. It is 2 miles north of the town so if you need food stock up on the way out. We rode back in just to get away from the midges (so an extra 4 miles please). The bikes felt very light without the panniers and tent. I always remembered a camp site in the town but I didn’t see it this time.

Day 5. Fort William to Back of Keppock (just south of Mallaig) 42 miles.

Another bloomin sunny day, but a good northerly wind. The route out is the main road but again little traffic. No latte stops on this stretch of road so keep pedalling to Glenfinnan where a tourist trap for coaches and all converge on a tiny coffee stop. Eat something here because the hills are coming back and some of them are quite nice. The young lady in answer to our question about the road ahead said “There’s some wee slopes” This misleading phrase was used by us over the next few days. My advice is to never ask. Very few people have any idea as to what a slope is in Scotland. In fact I was going to write to the Scottish Tourist Board asking if there was a certificate that could be awarded to individuals who had actually passed a course in hills and their assessment as I met none who merited such an award. We met an Aussie cyclist who had been cycling for 25 years and appeared to have no trouble accelerating away towards Skye as we continued to climb. I now know how those 100m runners feel on telly when the interviewer shoves a mike in front of their face 30 seconds after they have finished and asked them how it went. I suppose you tend to slow down on hills but everyone we met was at the top of one. I would have thought my facial colour would have given them a clue to give me a wide berth for at least 5 minutes. There are cycle paths alongside the road around Arisaig and the camp sites are all off the coastal road so avoid the main road for a quieter time. However the pub in Arisaig is the only food (very nice food) around so plan accordingly. We camped on the beach and it was lovely. Few midges and I took time to repair some small damage to my tent. We were getting into a good routine now with early starts and the packing and unpacking was getting more efficient.

part 2 to follow

jags

Re: The West Coast of Scotland….. in sunshine?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »
Great stuff they reckon if you want to climb hills then tere no place better than scotland.
look forward to part 2.

anto.

Audax hopeful

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 06:09:45 pm »
Inspiring stuff - I know most of those places from past visits, but not by bike! My focus then was mountaineering with some sightseeing and good evening meals!! Looking forward to further episodes!

StillOld

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:59:29 pm »

Day 6. Back of Keppoch to Balmacara (east of Kyle of Lochalsh). 35 miles.

The cockerel alarm got us up at 0630. Bit of a heavy mist but it soon burnt off to reveal another sunny day. We followed the coastal route to Mallaig, more cycle paths clearly marked. Caught the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale. I love the way cycles travel free on all the ferries. There is a little café as you disembark, can’t pass food! The road climbs steadily inland and there is little traffic. After a good climb the reward is a long downhill to the main road to the bridge. Steady traffic reminds you that you are back in civilization. The bridge is a good viewing point for the hills to come. We had sun and warmth, a good way to view Scotlands most beautiful countryside. Kyle of Lochalsh has good supplies and we stocked up for an evening meal. It was a long climb out and descent into Balmacara where a very nice campsite resides. It limits the size of tent so you avoid the family from hell in the ¼ acre ripstop dwelling. We rewarded ourselves with a short day and early finish so dozed in the sun and dried out the tents. No rain but they were heavier from the damp mornings. We dined on prawn cocktail starter, venison meatballs with sauce and pasta, and cheesecake for dessert. It can be tough out there sometimes but you can make do. One of the locals told us that it had rained for 61 days out of the last 70. We appeared to have hit Scotland during its yearly dry spell.

Day 7. Balmacara to Torridon. 41 miles.

Kippers and fresh bread for breakfast. The downside to this is the constant burping of fishy breath for the next few miles as the hills lined up.

We reached cloud base at one point before Stromeferry. There used to be a ferry here but the name is misleading and we were faced with an 11 mile detour around the loch to get to a point across the other side that I could probably throw a stone to. The eastern side of this loch undulates and threw in a nice 14% climb at one point. We met one other rider who was a lot fitter than us and he even managed to speak whilst pedalling uphill. Oh the envy. We found a café (they pop up at the best of times) before we rounded the top of the loch. Hills were just lining up now as we came further north and as soon as you thought you had conquered them you turned a corner and there they were again. Not long climbs, just short punchy up and downs. The road continued round the coast towards Lochcarron. Although these roads are the main A roads there is no other route, and again little traffic. Many times we found ourselves on A roads which were one carriageway wide. This is part of the beauty of Scotland and gets better as you travel northwards. The road from Lochcarron climbs towards the road to Applecross.

It is a taste of what you will face if you dare to try Bealach ne Ba (Pass of the Cattle). The sun was out and it was hot. No complaints, just an observation. We had decided that Applecross would be too much this time and we would save it for another day. The rather large oatmeal and chocolate cake that I ate at the café by the Applecross turning helped the decision making.

I have done it on a motorbike and the view is worth it. The road north from the café is still worth it for views.

We pushed through Shieldaig and onto Torridon. The camp site here is free but the place is a breeding ground for midges. The shop shuts early and the nearest food is back at Shieldaig. We could have cooked but the thought of sitting chewing midges was not a good one. Luckily a returning ridgewalker (Neil) gave us a lift back to the pub at Shieldaig where we had a good meal. There is also a free camp site here so a better place to stop. I have never seen such a large portion of fish and chips and the pork ribs were massive. We ordered a take away pizza so that breakfast was covered.

Day 8. Torridon to Gairloch. 31 miles.

The sun came out again….misty on the mountain tops but the route through Glen Torridon alongside Benn Eighe is fabulous. One of those single track roads with passing places for the minimal traffic we came across.

It climbs slowly and you hardly notice it. A nice slope downhill to Kinlochewe and another café, The Whistle Stop. Porridge and banana with syrup AND a bacon butty. I love this cycling. The bikes are still looking clean as we have hardly seen rain or standing water. Minimal midges now and the road to Gairloch starts off as a flat road alongside the loch but then a good climb as you leave the coast behind. By now hills were not something to curse about. We both agreed that we just looked at them as part of the adventure, something to climb up, not begrudge. Some short punchy climbs and Gairloch appears. Great campsites here. One in the town, one in the sand dunes.

Day 9. Gairloch to Dundonnell. 31 miles.

Good shops in Gairloch and we stocked up on food for the day. It was to be a day of hills of every kind. The wind was picking up now and moved around when we were exposed, sometimes from the side, sometimes a headwind. There are some fantastic views on this day and well worth the effort to climb and enjoy. Two villages called First Coast and Second Coast give you a wake up call before a long climb that just went on and on. The headwind was now making a difference to our speed. The camp site we had pencilled in no longer existed by the look of the locked gate and empty field so we carried on. As we left Dundonell a farmer warned us about the upcoming hill and stated we would be lucky to reach the top befor
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:21:24 pm by StillOld »

StillOld

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »
(continued....don't know what happened there)

last light. No camp site and with a midge ridden forest for a wild camp my gaze fell on the Dundonnell Hotel. Okay….we were weak and should have roughed it. I only had two baths as a punishment.

This easy evening gave us a chance to check the weather forecasts and plan our route further. It had initially been our hope to hug the coast beyond Ullapool. The small single track coastal roads through Altandhu, Clachtoll and Drumbeg. However the forecast was not looking good with strong winds and rain forecast. The problem with Scotland being that once you have passed Ullapool travelling northwards you have no choice but to continue to Thurso where the next train line exists.

We had planned for rain but not for the continuous headwind. Mindful of the fact we had not had a rest day we decided to cut towards Inverness.

Day 10. Dundonnell to Contin. 40 miles.

We tackled the hill out of Dundonnell and yes it does go on for some time. Near the top however was a fabulous view and patch of grass that would have made a good camping spot. We felt guilty. As you reach the top the road twists around and we were often facing a good 20 mph plus headwind.

At Braemore junction we looked longingly at the downhill run towards Ullapool and our dreamed of route. Then with a heavy heart we turned south east and uphill towards  Inverness. This feeling was not just because it sealed the ending of our trip but also the 20-30 mph headwind which would stay with us across the moor. At times we were doing 3 mph. I think it was harder to pedal across the first few miles than any hill we had climbed so far. At the top is Loch Glascarnoch which has a dam at its eastern end. From there is a massive downhill to Garve where a burger van served up the necessary fuel. It was a gutty day and we eventually found a camp site in Contin.

Day 11. Contin to Inverness. 22 miles.

This was a doddle day. Flattish back roads avoiding the traffic and we trickled into Inverness. As we arrived at the train station it started to rain.
We had been blessed with 11 days of sunshine in Scotland. 

So, negatives. We didn’t do our planned trip and it does get better as you go further north. We were annoyed as we had in effect bottled it. We had wonderful weather and the thought of fighting in the rain had put us off. What did we expect? As it turned out the storms didn’t materialise and it was just wet and windy. We could have made Durness and then just stuck it out.

The positives. Cycling is fun. There is a camaraderie in motor biking but it’s a wave and it’s done. We met so many cyclists, and whether stationary at the top of a hill, or going the other way, we stopped and chatted. Many were on epic trips through Europe, Ireland, Iceland etc and had ended up in Scotland.

Apart from hills and the effort required to climb them we hadn’t had any negatives so as an introduction to cycle touring we had been spoilt. No injuries, or sore bits, just a few aches. I think our daily mileage was about right for us, but we would plan a rest day into the next tour. The bikes were probably a bit OTT for what we did but we both agreed that we were very pleased with their performance. I passed the 1000 mile mark on my Nomad during the trip something I would never have considered a year ago. I used to baulk at the thought of a 3 mile ride with the wife.

If anybody is thinking of going to Scotland our route covered some good areas. However I would take the Kilberry side to avoid the main road from Tarbet to Lochgilphead, and take the cycle route from Ford to Oban. This would avoid the only roads we really saw traffic on.

Next Tour? YES….we are going back. This time Glasgow, take a different route out to Inverary via Dunoon, then the back roads to Oban, ferry to the Hebrides and then re-join our planned route at Ullapool. I don’t think we will have the same weather again though. We’ll just have to man up.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:20:03 pm by StillOld »

jags

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »
Fantastic i've never been to Scotland but i never heard anyone say a bad thing about it well except for the weather and midges  :o
thanks for shareing great photos.

anto

Donerol

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:32 pm »
Great posts and so glad you got such good weather.  I did part of that area in June (still to finish my write-up!) but the weather  wasn't so good. FYI there is a daily bus service between Durness and Inverness with a proper bike trailer. It makes planning a tour in the area much easier - we used it to get back from Lochinver.

StillOld

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:07:46 pm »
Daily bus service....now that is good to know. And wish I had known it beforehand. That may have tipped the balance. Ah well you learn as you go, thanks.

The part that I was really looking forward to was the Ullapool to Scourie coastal stretch. Hilly but away from it all. Next time.

AndyE

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 07:27:05 pm »
Grate tour Still old, You would have cycled passed where I was staying on Skye.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:49:17 pm »
Fantastic report! I love that photo above the subhead "Day 6. Back of Keppoch".
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:42:45 pm by Andre Jute »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 02:58:39 am »
A splendid adventure and very inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing the report!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:49 am »
What an absolutely splendid report; pictures a pleasure to see, writing a pleasure to read. Enjoyed every bit of it!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 02:54:26 pm »
Terrific tale, Stillold, and your photos are wonderful.  I'm very impressed that you managed the weather so well -- sunshine on command on the western coast is no mean trick!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »
Excellent trip review.
I have cycled many of those roads so it was good to see your photographs.
Some say that if you can bike tour in Scotland, you can bike tour any where.
We have all 4 seasons in a week and hills to spare.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

StillOld

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
Many thanks for the comments and likes. It's fun writing the report as it started to bring back some of the "moments".....if I had this week free I would be back up there. Looks like a few more days of settled weather. I will have to settle for an over nighter down this way.

Damn this cycling....