Author Topic: Garmin Edge. 800  (Read 10838 times)

jags

Re: Garmin Edge. 800
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »
Just curious but if you guys own a satnav specif for cycling and touring then why would u not plan a route or the entire   tour on it, sure isn't that what they were made for.
couriers around the planet use them all the time and they always find there target. :o

geocycle

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 04:59:43 pm »
Hi jags, the algorithm used to plan routes in Garmin edge touring is not great. You can often end up riding much further than needed or on unsuitable surfaces despite the ability to select preferences. In contrast planners like cycle.travel tend to make much more logical choices.

IanW

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:01:42 pm »
I have a Garmin GPSIII+ which is great for telling you where you are and where you have been an where you appear to be heading.
But it is only really a global positioning device and it therefore not bad as a basic bicycle trip-computer.

My spouse has a Garmin Edge 800 which is also good for telling you where you are and where you have been and where you are heading.
But, depending on the map data set loaded (UK Ordinance Survey or European City Navigator), it is also ok at providing basic where you are going navigation instructions.

If you wanted a SatNav that was cycle-orientated, then the Garmin Edge 800 is not bad (but not optimall either). Particularly if you wanted cadence and/or ANT+ capability.

But if you wanted fewer cycle-specific features (like cadence and ANT+) then there are definitely other Garmin devices and even non-Garmin devices that provide similar or better features for the same price. (Like the Garmin Montana or Oregon range perhaps)

My spouse likes her Garmin Edge 800, but *I* would not buy the same.

jags

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »
ah i don't know i think i would have faith in a good quality  satnav.
my map reading skills are great  :o

phopwood

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »
If you just want bike satnav try cycle streets for the uk in my opinion the best cycling navigation algorithm going.

Peter

leftpoole

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 09:30:41 am »
Hello,
As a point of interest I do not have Sat Nav in my car and never will as I have a pigeon in my head! Yes read about this on Google I am certain there is an article somewhere.
I bought the Lezyne mini GPS because it does not direct, it reads records and tells how far you have cycled, elevation, time passed etc etc much like a conventional bike computer but reading from a set of satellites in the sky. It appeared to be reading through a long passage under trees too! I expect a simple bike computer would tell me the same but it requires faffing about when tyres are changed for a different size and initial setting up gets me. I am mechanical not mathematical and am very good at loads of things except setting up timer clocks and DVD players Video etc (doh).
John 

Templogin

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 10:30:22 am »
Hi jags, the algorithm used to plan routes in Garmin edge touring is not great. You can often end up riding much further than needed or on unsuitable surfaces despite the ability to select preferences. In contrast planners like cycle.travel tend to make much more logical choices.

Agree with this.  Mine tried to send me onto the motorway - strange for a cycle GPS!

Matt - As we know each other you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a few months to see what you think.

rifraf

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 01:35:16 pm »
I am thinking of treating myself to a Garmin Edge 800.

Anyone here use one?
Or have an opinion?

I hope to cycle from UK to Italy next year.
And don't want to get lost!

Matt

You've likely made up your mind by now Matt, one way or tother.

Just thought I'd add, I like my 800 unit fine.

I don't worry about the battery running low as my Son28/E-werk with cache battery keeps it topped up fine (as well as my phone and petzl tikka 2xp.)

My eyesight is fading so having heard they have ironed out most of the problematic Garmin Edge 1000's issues with updates to the software, I've just bought the 1000 model which has a bit of a bigger screen.

I got my 800 unit not long after moving to a new city (Perth in Western Australia) and the 800 has saved my bacon more than a few times.
Until very recently when someone was kind enough to explain I had a map and gps in my phone, I've relied solely on the 800 unit, even off the bike.

energyman

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 08:57:49 pm »
I was given a 1000 by Garmin when I kept pointing out a software fault on the Touring Edge.
BUT planning a route is not a GOOD IDEA.  They don't seem to understand that being wooshed by big lorries (trucks) is not nice on a bike.  I like quiet roads.

Relayer

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:55 am »
I have been using a Garmin Edge 800 Touring for a few years now and I am generally very happy with it.

Where it suits me best is that I have 4 bikes and the Garmin saves me having to run 4 bike computers, and saves me having to recalibrate bike computers every time I change tyre sizes. The Garmin records separate data for up to 5 bikes.

I can also plan routes using non-Garmin online sites such as bikeroutetoaster and downloading them to my Garmin which works fine for me.

The downside is the small screen, like others my eyesight isn't getting any better these days. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but if I haven't downloaded a route and/or I have gone offroute somewhere I don't recognise/remember the Garmin doesn't let me move the map from my current location and is therefore limited to how much I can zoom out the map. Therefore, I tend to use maps on my iPhone where I can drag the map around on the [much larger] screen away from my current location to see where I need to go.

Garmin Connect is very nice as a record of all my rides (and running, with a Garmin watch).

Jim
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:22:29 am by Relayer »

Pavel

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »
I've tried the edge series and other than the mount system which is a nice step forward, I do not like them.  They are much more oriented towards the fast cyclist, using the bike for fitness or competition training.  Not so good at the mapping features compared to the cheaper garmins aimed at the hiking segment. I like the oregon family very much as it is a good compromise between size and utility of the screen.  Much better mapping legibility and use.  In the end I now have moved to the gargantuan Montana 680T, which is a bit on the "wtf" size on a bicycle or used as a hand-held device for hiking but it still works well for those two uses, while shining for motorcycle use.  I like the waterproofness, the touch screen and the ability to run power to its cradle, but truth be told, the day that Apple makes a ruggedized device that can handle light rain and the temperatures of the full southern sun - all these Garmins, and their horrid software can hit the road.  They are a evil, substandard necessity as far as I'm concerned made on the cheap but sold at prices that would make Apple blush. I love them - I hate them.   Garmin is the Schrader valve of life.