Author Topic: Panaracer Pasela Tourguard  (Read 8767 times)

Mike Ayling

Panaracer Pasela Tourguard
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:09:39 am »
WE now have 4,500 km (non touring) on our Dec 2012 Thorn tandem and there is still a lot of tread showing. I am 73kg and Mary is about 50kg.

What distance have others achieved on these tyres?

Mike

geocycle

Re: Panaracer Pasela Tourguard
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:19:34 pm »
Only 125 miles I'm afraid before I split the sidewall! A very nice ride and lots of folk swear by them, including thorn, but I lost faith and moved onto Schwalbe. They are very good value and I'd be interested to know how long they last if you are not unlucky with the sidewalls.

leftpoole

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:02 am »
Only 125 miles I'm afraid before I split the sidewall! A very nice ride and lots of folk swear by them, including thorn, but I lost faith and moved onto Schwalbe. They are very good value and I'd be interested to know how long they last if you are not unlucky with the sidewalls.

Possibly the worst tyre I have used ever! However they do run quickly.
They look horrid too with white walls.
John

in4

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:05:05 am »
I rather like the light-coloured side walls but after a series of side wall punctures I swopped to Marathon Supremes. They are proving very durable, roll well but are utterly useless on sand; I dismount when I see the path ahead layered with sand. The PTGs however would have handled a smattering of sand well.

julk

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:40:09 am »
I too gave up at about 170 miles after too many sidewall punctures.

I now ride Schwalbe Duremes and find them excellent for the riding I do.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:14 am »
My preferred all-round tyre continues to be the Vittoria Randonneur Cross - 26"x1.75" for my Nomad. I routinely get 14,000kms before the red puncture resistant layer begins to show and they get retired (not out). I have yet to have a single confirmed penetration puncture in over 12 years of use - all flats have been peeled patches or tube defects.

In my opinion these tyres are as resistant as the Marathon Plus, but half the weight (590g versus 1140g).

For sandy tracks and heavier muddy conditions I use the Marathon Mondial in 26"x2.15" - also very puncture resistant.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:05:07 pm by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
anyone using the compass tyres supposed to be the bee's knees but expensive.

rualexander

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:00:17 pm »
Paselas have been excellent tyre for me, one had a cut in the sidewall when new but apart from that I've never had a sidewall fail once the tyres were in use. Probably used about 12 of them over the past decade, 700x28, 700x25, and 26x1.75. Can't really say how many miles I've got out of them as I don't keep a record of it, but must be around 3000-4000 miles each.
They are now available with black sidewalls as well as the amber ones.

jags

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:54:04 pm »
i had only a few miles on my supreams when i managed to get a 3inch gash in sidewall 17 miles from home it was a struggle to get home, but chainreaction changed it no problem and i found the supreams a class tyre. marathon plus the worst tyre i ever used.
i now ride conti gatorskins hardshell on my dolan  great tyre .
theres yis go a right piece of useless information from Anto but sure a fella has to be saying something. :o :o ;D

anto

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 03:33:23 pm »
I had no problem with sidewalls, I did dislike the aesthetics. I found them very tough to get on and off rims, and after a couple of punctures couldn't take it any more. Changing a tube in winter I find my fingers get numb after 10-15 minutes and tight tyre/rim cobos got very impracticaL

Mike Ayling

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 09:08:25 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like you blokes have not had much luck with the sidewalls.

Like Pete (IP) I am very satisfied with  Vittoria Randonneur 37 X 622 on my Surly LHT. I have the folding ones but find them extremely puncture resistant.

Mike

bikerwaser

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:32:31 am »
I had issues with the sidewalls of these tyres to start with and Thorn kindly sent me a new set. I had been told by a friend that i hadn't used the right pressure. The new tyres ( with the right pressure ) now have 3200 miles on them still with a fair bit of tread. I've only had 4 punctures during that time and 1000 of that was heavy touring. I haven't had sidewall issues since keeping the pressure to around 60psi.
I think they're an excellent tyre being very light and fast and also fairly puncture resistant.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:38:47 am »
OK, I have just replaced the rear tyre on the tandem at 5772km, spots of canvas are visible.

We have not had a puncture on this tyre or the front for that matter.

The front still has a lot of tread on it.

I replaced with a Panaracer Ribmo PT which a got a year or two back at a good price.

See how it goes.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:44:20 am by Mike Ayling »

gma

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:51:26 am »
Paselas are my favourite light to medium-weight tyre. I've got a pair of Compass Rat Trap Pass to try (2.1" wide), but they look rather delicate so I'm going to wait until after winter until I try them.

I had 2" Supremes fitted to by Nomad X-series when I bought it. It was fun to ride, but didn't feel particularly spritely. Front wheel traction in muddy puddles on a canal towpath (i.e. very thin mud sat on hard ground) was terrible.

So after 200 miles (and before my first tour) I took the Supremes off and fitted some 1.75" Paselas. The overall wheel diameter was noticeably smaller (which I didn't like), but the bike felt nippier and there was a big increase in front wheel traction. They're very comfortable on the road, too.

I'd been commuting on Paselas for years, but I learned just how good their grip is off road when riding across Wales. Sustrans routes often get a bit off-road in my experience, and that tour (on NCN81) gave me a new found respect for the Pasela.

A couple of years ago I found myself on the wrong side of the Knoydart peninsula, with 45 minutes left to cross it in order to catch a boat home. I had several miles of rocky track to cover at speed, much of it down hill. I let a bit of air out of the tyres and just let the bike roll, keeping the speed just below "absolutely terrifying" with frequent application of the brakes!

The track was made of large lumps of rock (several inches across, and upwards), and I was moving too fast to pick a careful line through the larger lumps. I thought a sidewall puncture was likely, given the trouble others have had with them, but there's not a mark on either tyre.

Perhaps I've been lucky with my sidewalls, but I've never had a sidewall puncture. Neither has my Dad, and he's been riding them for well over a decade. I think keeping them well inflated is probably fairly key here.

I've worn out a set of 700x28's on my commuter. I suspect the rear lasted around 4000 miles, which I changed because it started to puncture every few weeks. That's another thing – in urban areas I've not had trouble with glass until the tread has worn right down. The only thing that's gone through mine when they've been in good condition is large thorns.

The Nomad X sees more use off road these days, so it's got fatter rubber on it again now. I've still got the Paselas though, and would use them again for a road tour.

All my road bikes are fitted with Paselas.

Here's a photo that'll give you a good feel for the tread pattern on the 1.75" version.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamashton/8718824622/in/photostream/lightbox/

The tread on the 28mm is noticeably lighter.

energyman

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:21:40 pm »
You meet & chat to lots of interesting people when repairing P T G s whereas you just cycle past all the interesting people when riding on S M T +
Just a fact of life for me.