Author Topic: Will a Schmidt Rear Light connect to my existing SON Dynohub/Edelux setup?  (Read 10770 times)

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
I have a Thorn Mercury with a SON dynohub and Edelux setup, it came with the bike. Would it be easy to add a Schmidt rear light? I'm not very technical.
Any anybody who has one, how bright are they?

il padrone

Re: Will a Schmidt Rear Light connect to my existing SON Dynohub/Edelux setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:09 am »
I was not aware that these even existed. According to Peter White cycles "new for 2014", and they will run with Edelux (of course) as well as B&M and Spanninga headlights, but not Supernova apparently.

Rack-mount

and seat-post mounts.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:22:05 am by il padrone »

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:35:19 am »
I must admit however that when it comes to high visibility from a dynohub system, this light (Hermanns H-track) wins all prizes for me. Brightest dynamo LED tail-light I've seen with a great reflector built-in.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »
Yes they wire to any front dynamo headlight except some Supernova's. See http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=schmidt%20rear&page=1

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:42:48 pm »
It is getting to the season where I am digging out my lights out and making sure they still work. Thanks for the replies.

The Hermanns is cheaper and has been out long enough to get good reviews. The Schmidt is small, robust looking, presumably has similar quality to my existing dynamo and front light set-up, and would go directly on the seat-post (there is no rack). A drawback would be that I would be doing the add-on, when someone in the Thorn shop had done a very neat job on the front lamp.

I'll update when I make a decision.

EDIT: Just looking at the Schmidt Edelux page on the SJSCycles website, and the Edelux comes in lots of colours, but 2 varieties;
- "w/out Switch or Rear Connection"
- "inc. Switch & Rear Connection"

Is the "rear connection" just some connector, or is it a plug port built into the device? I have an Edelux with on/off/sensor switch.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:56:40 pm by alcyst »

RonS

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »
If I am reading the installation instructions correctly, the wires for a rear light connect to recessed spade terminals on the bottom of the light by the mounting hole.
They should be visible if you flip the light upside down.

If you have neither mudguards nor a rack, my recommendation for a rear light is the B&M Secula with seat stay mount. I have the mudguard mounted version and am quite pleased with it. It is also about 1/4 the price of the SON

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:32 pm »
Ah, that's right. I have an Edelux on my single speed. It has a single spade connector in a recessed hole under the light. The other terminal must be connected to the mounting bolt using a ring connector. Very straightforward and I have a B&M Seculite wired up this way.

Ring connector - available from SJS, though there should have been one supplied with the Edelux when bought.

If you wish you could just rely on using the bike frame as your ground connection and do away with the ring connector, but I prefer dual-wiring for all my tail-lights.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:26:09 am by il padrone »

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:24 pm »
My experience.

I added an Schmidt rear dynamo rear light to my front hub-ed Mercury. The job was classic DIY, for a non-DIY person: nothing really complex, but a lot off fiddly bits. It is relatively easy to do, though tricky to do really tidily.
The Schmidt lamp is small, the seatpost clamp version is very neat. If you get a colour that matches your seatpost it almost completely blends in. SJS have a link on their website to a full set of instructions.
I ran the cable along the hydraulic rear brake line, attaching it with 2.5mm zip ties. A good snips allows a very tidy fastening. At the front you have to bridge from the brake line to a front cable, I used another zip-tie to keep this tidy. Leave a bit of slack so that the cable doesn't get too tight when the steering is pushed to an extreme. The supplied cable is plenty long. You could leave the cable as supplied but that would result in a lot coiled someplace. I removed about 30cm and still had plenty that I wrapped around the headlamp bracket. I practiced cable stripping once or twice on the excess cable. Once the two loose cable ends have connectors in place and are shrink wrapped the "female spade connector" just plugs into the hole in the bottom of the headlamp and the round connector is attached to the bracket.
In use the combination is very nice. The light has good brightness, well out of proportion with size (there are no electric switches or batteries). It can take 5 meters of cycling to light up, but once the bike has been rolling the standing charge means it stays lit for a period if you do stop, something that is useful at lights.
Overall a good experience.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:55:22 pm by alcyst »

Matt2matt2002

Not a complaint but nice to see how the conversation has moved on from the Edge.
That's one if the many things I like about this forum.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink