Author Topic: Scotland where the wind blows!!  (Read 9636 times)

AndyE

Re: Scotland where the wind blows!!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:12 pm »
My connection seems stable at the moment , so if your sitting comfortably is shall begin.

Part 3.
As I waddled out of McDonald's after some much need carbs and coffee, I picked my way through Inverlocky housing estate and on to the Grate Glen Cycle Way. You cross the River Spean on the old Army Bridge, a bit of a rickety affair. It was busy with pedestrians and locals commuting to and fro, until I had crossed, the ramp at the road end was closed and there was not a sole about,  so I had to fully unload the bike and carry everything up two flights of stairs. Sense of humor fail followed! *##@** Thankfully the campsite was only around the corner.

The Locky caravan and camping park is a good site, with good facility's and Highland wifi and very reasonably priced too. I checked in with my sister who was looking after dad and he was not well, and she was not on form either!  She has been very ill over the last year too.

Tent up, stove lit and made a brew, phone on charge, shower and bed. Next morning, sunshine and lots of it and no wind  :D, The camp was not full and having a pick nick table to myself I rearrange how I had things packed. It made the steering lighter and the handling improved.

Early Morning Ben Nevis

A misty river Spean

Now well over a full day behind managing only 32 miles the day before, I was going to take it easy, open mouth insert foot!! This turned out to be the toughest day of the whole tour. Making my way to Neptune's staircase on the Caladoinan Canal and follow the cycle path to Gairlochy at the bottom of Lock lochy, and decide when there witch side I would pass the Loch. I would be coming back this way from Millaig so it mattered not witch way I went. WRONG!

Looking west from Neptune's Staircase

Same place looking east.

Lord Of the Glens

From Neptune's Staircase to Gairlochy is flat and level and I made good time and on to Clunes.

East up Lock Lochy

Between Gairlochy and Clunes there is a series of Information Boards.

There is a Monument to the WW2 Commandos not far from Gairlochy on the A82 witch I was hoping to visit on my second pass.

From Clunes to Kilfinnan was a struggle, a hard rough granite track and very steep. This is a cycle path? this was total and utter torture I got some strange looks from the riders on their mountain bikes  :o

Lord Of the Glens catching me up. I was hoping to make Laggon Locks to see hear going through but that was not going to happen at 2 MPH!

Finally at the end of the rough trail. 18 miles in 3 hours not bad but it was not over yet.

By the time I got to Laggon locks, the Lord of the Glens was well past. I pushed on down the side of the canal until I found a clearing, in the sun and time for lunch.

I stopped at the store at the Well of the Severn Heads to resupply, something for dinner and milk. Coffees and porridge for next morning as it was going to be a wild camp. And all they had left was a 4 pint carton and far too much to carry or need. I pressed on to Invergarry and the slow long slog to the top of Glengarry.

Looking east and Loch Garry

I made many stops on the way up it was hard going and the wind had swung to the west and back in my face.

At the very top over looking Glen Loyne and tied out and very very swetty. I had a good brake hear, drank the last of my water, forced down last of my chocolate. Too windy to brew up and no milk. Jacket on as I was now getting could. Helmet adjusted and a good check over the bike and bags to make sure every thing was secure. From hear to the junction with the A87 was exactly 4 miles on newly laid road  ;) down hill time  ;D

Head down and off I went, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 200 m of decent, as a moral booster I switch the GPS over to KPH I was so excited I forgot to time the decent, when I hit 55kph it was time for some brakes, the junction was rapidly approaching. phew that was a lot of fun.

It was short lived, turning left on to the A87, a steady 50m climb in just over 1.5 miles on a very poor surface and back into a strong westerly finished me of for the day, it was getting late and time to find a spot to camp.

Loch Cluanie Dam and home for the night, the westerly wind kept the midges down. I had a full 3G signal in the middle of nowhere better than I get back home.

This may be coming over as a tail of woe, I can assure you that is not the case. Up till this point it had been tough and hard going but I was loving every minuet of it.

Last installment to follow.

Andy

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:42:46 pm by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

StillOld

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 10:41:23 pm »
I looked at that route via Lochy to Garry when I first started planning it. I didn't know if the route through the woods was doable in the wet (as I anticipated it being) It looks like some fabulous views.

Does the road after Garry go past the strange piles of stones?

I only changed my mind because I had not done the Mallaig road to the south.

AndyE

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:00:16 pm »
Yes there are still strange piles of stones at the top of glen Garry. The route through the woods was a tough ride. The trail was mostly powder dry. Not recommended with a fully loaded regular touring bike! The 1.75 marathon Racers handled it well. Anything narrower would struggle I think.

Andy

AndyE

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 10:10:19 pm »
I should of finished this trip report off 4 months back. My return home was not a jubilant one. Internet not working or extremely slow. Mother was slipping away , dad's health was not good and my sister who was standing in for me on my respite leave was having health problems too. 

Part the last.

At 03.30 hrs, my sleeping mat had sprung a leak! and the only puncture of the tour, too tied to care so rolled over and back off to sleep. I awoke to a bright and breezy day, not having any milk, breakfast was not to its usual standards, black coffee. Porridge is not nice without milk so added a square of dark Belgian chocolate that I found at the bottom of the food bag, a bit fluffy! My choridge was ok.
 The breeze was now a hard gusting wind and as I was loading up, a strong gust blew the my Sherpa off the click stand!! I set off into this strong cool breeze heading for the Cluanie Inn some 8 miles away. The thought of Bacon and eggs kept me going. My legs were very tied the wind was strong and the pace was slow, Loch Cluanie was covered in white caps. I was disappointed only to get a bacon roll and coffee at the Inn for £6.50 won't be stopping there again.

As I descended down Glen Shiel a heavy missed rolled in, I put on my waterproof jacket. Not going to say it rained because by Scottish standards it did not it was just "dreich".  I made a stop at the shop at the bottom of Glen Shlei, I was felling a fatigued. hopping for a bottle of Lucozade. Not a well stocked shop, all I got was full fat coke and a snickers bar.

Eilan Donan Castle

Stopped hear for lunch, bad idea the venison stew was not at all nice. It was late and the last portion on the hot plate, should have had 2 pieces of cake and a coffee.  It was time to look for somewhere to stop for the night. I needed to do some Laundry and fix my air mat. So made a B line for the camp site at Balmacara , a great camp site and a well stocked Spar mini market. It had all the items I like from the B food group. Beer, Bacon and Bread rolls. Tent up, stove lit, coffee, chocolate hobnobs, laundry done and drying, mat fixed and a big bowl of Pasta and sauce.
After a  good night's sleep on my repaired mat was helped along with  a few beers HIC ! I awoke to a pleasant sunny day, I had a late start, I was in need of a rest day and I was way behind on my planed route. It was clear that I was not going to complete what I had planned. I had to be in Inverness early Saturday to catch my train Back to Doncaster.   
I have a love affair with the Isle of Skye. It is a bewitching isle. Every time I visit I see new things new vistas. New plan, complete the Skye portion of the trip and catch a train to Inverness on Friday! I can make Camp site at  Loch Sligachan just 27 miles away , up to Staffin, and back to Kyle of Lochalsh for the train.  Well that was the new plan, what was not planed was my Knee seizing up crossing the Skye bridge. I should have stopped where I was.  Luckily there is a camp site just 4 miles away and what a 4 miles that was. I'm going to get a day off. Tuesday morning I had a acute case of Knee-monia! something I have not suffered with for 40 years , I damage my Knee in my High School Gym, had a month of school and 10 days before I could put weight on it.  Trip over!!
The camp site at Ashaig is more than adequate, hot showers, fridge freezer and an Old static caravan with kettle and toaster, somewhere to hide from the midges and charge phones and tablet. I was happy to be hear comfortable not that I had much off a choice.
My tent was pointing north, looking over the Isle's of the Inner sound ,Scalpay, pabay, longay and the Crolin Islands, Early hours Wednesday I'm up for the twice nightly pee!! It was 2.30 am and I was greeted by a celestial extravaganza. The sky was so clear and the stars shone so bright and a faint green and purple hew of the Northern Lights.  It did bring a tier to my eye, as it was Almost to the hour that my Wife Sue slipped in to her eternal sleep some 5 years back.
The saw knee was a bother, and I still had a heavy loaded bike to get back home. I was only able to ride to the store in Broardford for supplies so I enjoyed the fantastic sunny weather for the remains of my days on the Isle of Sky.
Since then I have had full plate with which to deal. Dads Alzheimer's is keeping me on my toes and off my saddle, Mums health had become poor, very poor. Not bad for someone who was way past what the Doctors said she would have with untreated unmediated cancer,  her choice. We laid her to rest just this week. Kind of knocks my knee into a cocked hat.

Andy

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 12:03:50 am »
That is extraordinarily beautiful countryside, Andy! Thanks for the photos and the trip report. It sure sounds like you have a full plate and more with family health issues. In a way it's just what happens as we get older, but that sure doesn't make it easy. I hope your bike gives you a regular way to connect with human and natural community to gain some respite and solace and at least a taste of beauty and joy.

Jim

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 02:36:29 am »
Wonderful photos of such a beautiful place, Andy.  Your story makes me want to go back to those parts, this time on my bike, and soon! So sorry to hear of your family's health problems--take courage, and as Jim says, perhaps you can renew your energies and recover some peace of mind on your bike.

Templogin

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »
Photos?  I see no photos.  Can I have a refund?

David Simpson

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:58 pm »
Photos?  I see no photos.  Can I have a refund?

I can't see them either, but I assure you I could see them a few days ago. Perhaps a fog has rolled in...

In the meantime, your refund is in the mail.

- Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 02:27:00 am »
I can't see them either, but I assure you I could see them a few days ago. Perhaps a fog has rolled in...
I didn't do it!  :o

Checking on the image URLs, Photobucket tells me they are currently down for maintenance.  :-\

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:29:12 am by Danneaux »

David Simpson

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 04:56:39 am »
The photos are back now! :)

- Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 05:25:26 am »
Yay!  :)

Best,

Dan.

Templogin

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 08:48:51 am »
Yay!  My sight has been restored.

This has set the standard for my future reviews.  My camera is always at the bottom of my panniers, but my future plan is to ditch the front panniers and fit the handlebar bag, which can carry the camera and other goodies.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:06:45 am by Templogin »

StillOld

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:35 pm »
That is extraordinarily beautiful countryside, Andy! Thanks for the photos and the trip report. It sure sounds like you have a full plate and more with family health issues. In a way it's just what happens as we get older, but that sure doesn't make it easy. I hope your bike gives you a regular way to connect with human and natural community to gain some respite and solace and at least a taste of beauty and joy.

Jim

I echo Jim's words Andy.

Funny we ended up crossing paths without knowing it. We stayed at the Balmacara campsite and good it was too.

Andre Jute

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:50:08 pm »

Jim

I echo Jim's words Andy.

And me. Those photographs are almost like being there (without the exertion). I could just see myself casting a fly in that stony stream... Thank you so much!