Author Topic: Did Rohloff change their approved ratios again?  (Read 12274 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Did Rohloff change their approved ratios again?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 04:50:56 pm »
So what if you weigh 85kg and carry 30kg's?

Perzackly!

Generally speaking, the assumption is that the cyclist weighs 75kg, weighed to the gramme. Compare with NASCAR, whose regulations are written on the assumption that the driver will be a redneck weighing 200 pounds, weighed to within 5 pounds...

Andre Jute

Re: Did Rohloff change their approved ratios again?
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:25 pm »
My derailleur touring bikes have a range of 630 percent.  Thus, I was a bit hesitant to buy the Nomad MkII which did not have a derailleur hanger, since a Rohloff by itself has a range of 526 percent. 

It seems to me that we become used to what we have and use. When I rode on 308% Shimano 8-speed hub gearboxes, they worked well enough for me (and I still admire them as very good value for money) because I chose my roads accordingly, avoiding the steeper countryside this side of town. Then I moved across town and used the hill in front of my house to justify buying a Rohloff, and generally to spend about 4x as much on my everyday bike as on the perfectly good bikes I rode before, and I'm damned glad I did, because ten years later it is doubtful whether I would enjoy even the lower hills the original side of town on anything less than a Rohloff.

Also, even if the Rohloff were to have a 630% spread, there would still be someone for whom it isn't enough. Hell, it probably wouldn't be enough for me, which is how come I now have motor assistance for the last few meters of the steepest hills. There is always something you can do, if you put your mind in gear (I know, I know, a pun is...), or know who to ask, which with the net is relatively easy if you take your time to evaluate the quality of advice on the available fora.