Author Topic: Cable change on Rohloff  (Read 5093 times)

john28july

Cable change on Rohloff
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:59:09 am »
Hello all,
I was having a rotten boring weekend. Torrential rain and nothing to do. My bikes are all up to scratch with no maintenance required. What should I do? I decided to change the gear cables on my Raven Tour.I should ponit out that the cables did not require changing. I was just bored!
How was it? Well it was a slightly mind bending job. I had never done this job before. I read the Rohloff manual and watched the Torn web video first. Then got on with it.
Well its done. I would not like to do this job at the side of the road in wind rain etc. But all in all fairly straightforward. try it, you may enjoy the experience. What I now have is a bike with new cables, plus the 'old' ones as spares to carry on the road.
Enjoyable afternoon.
What shall I do next weekend when its raining and blowing a gale?
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:00:29 am by john28july »

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Cable change on Rohloff
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 11:11:09 am »
quote:
What shall I do next weekend when it’s raining and blowing a gale?

One job that I very occasionally do when cleaning the bike is to remove the spur gear - did it twice last year.  The idea being to prevent the threads from seizing up.  You will need the Rohloff tool, a quality chain whip (I broke my first one!) and copper grease or alternative.

Even more occasionally I strip my bikes down  (one at a time) to a bare frame.  Parts such as derailers and brakes are also disassembled down to their smallest parts.  The only item I don’t remove are the head set cups – I also don’t de spoke the rims!  Everything is given a deep clean, small parts are soaked in degreaser and scrubbed, the frame is treated to several coats of polish and maybe some Waxol then reassembled and re-greased.  The service includes all bearings.  Finally the wheels are rechecked in my jig. I don’t do this too often maybe every 18 months it normally takes me about 3 days to do one bike.  

Just before Christmas I performed this service on my Raven for the first time, BAD news to those that like to tinker, it only took me a day and a half to do it ALL!  NB I didn’t disassemble the hub but I did perform an oil change.

I am quessing that you already do these jobs or similar John? To others that might be tempted beware - there is a lot to get wrong when rebuilding a bike from the jockey wheel bearing up, take it slow and be methodical.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:17:57 am by stutho »

john28july

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:37:53 am »
Stutho,I am quessing that you already do these jobs or similar John?
Yes is the answer to that one! Crazy really but very enjoyable. Riding today-its warm and sunny with no wind for a change.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 03:03:53 pm »
You guys are obsessive. I own several bikes and enjoy working on them, but I have never completely dis-assembled one for the fun of it. Once I took the spring out of a derailleur. Big mistake. It took me hours to get the thing back in properly and once it sprung out and nearly hit me in the eye. I told this story to a friend who owned a bicycle shop and he said he would never take the spring out of a derailleur and that I should have phoned him and he would have found an old derailleur to give me to save me the trouble of reassembling it.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 03:19:12 pm »
Yes I agree - Obsessive and proud!!  

Some people like doing crosswords – but I don’t see the point.  Each to there own.  Like I said earlier I don’t strip down the bike very often but when I do I really go to town  – no point only doing half the job.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:24:10 pm by stutho »

lewisnoble

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:33:45 pm »
Stutho, what is a spur gear??  Do I have one on my Raven Tour? Should I be worried about not being worried about it??

A beautiful day hre in Sheffield as well.

By the way, I am still trying to locate some Koolstop Salmon cartridge pads.  Last time I checked the usual players, they came up as discontinued - any ideas??

Lewis

julk

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 04:41:08 pm »
Oh dear,

I like riding on a day like today, with sunshine and little wind.
I like taking my bikes to bits and reassembling with clean grease etc., although I leave wheel building to the bike shop. That Thorn Rohloff bike resists needing maintenance though.

I also like doing crosswords...

julk

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:50:20 pm »
Lewis,
Koolstop pads were touched on in the C+ forum and Ruth Casson - Amba posted the following

Hello we are the Koolstop distributor. Please contact us for your local stockist retailer. We've only recently been appointed and are busy growing the network of shops - you will see stockists listed on our website, but even if the local shop listed isnt shown as a stockist they should be able to order in the Koolstop items you need from us. Hope this helps.

Regards

www.amba-marketing.com
Tel: 01392 840030

Hope this helps.

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 07:03:20 pm »
I sometimes find that if I dismantle things unnecessarily, I end up damaging something that would have been fine if I had left it well alone.

As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!!!"

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:47:42 am »
quote:
As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!!!"

but “a penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!"[;)]

Actually I kind of agree with TyneValley.  Several months ago I was tempted to open up the hub - VERY glad I didn't I would have broken it for sure.  Therefore I would go with the saying
"Know thy limits"

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:18:04 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lewisnoble

Stutho, what is a spur gear??  Do I have one on my Raven Tour? Should I be worried about not being worried about it??....Lewis

I am talking about the chain sprocket on your Rohloff hub - Maintenance is not required until the gear has warn down from use and requires to be replaced or revered. (It’s reversible for twice the life.)
In short don't worry about it!

Cool stop pads – Best advice I can give is when you do find them buy several sets I don’t know why but supply always seams to be patchy.

lewisnoble

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:58:06 pm »
I have been in touch with Amba Marketing, and will be ordering some Salmon pads tomorrow.  And I can well see that removing the sprocket / spur gear periodically and copper greasing it is a good idea, especially for people that want to be able to change overall ratios prior to a long / heavy tour, for example.