Author Topic: Pedal bearings  (Read 2512 times)

neil_p

Pedal bearings
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
I have some Shimano SPD pedals, the bearings are loose BBs with a cone and locknut.  Does anyone know how I can hold the cone still whilst I tighten the locknut?  I bought a special shimano tool, which fits over the locknut but not the cone.  Are there special pliers that have a 90 degree bend at the tips, allowing them to fit down into the pedal casing? Thanks.

julk

Re: Pedal bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:43:25 pm »
I found that my shimano spd pedal tool gripped both the cone and the locknut with the 2 small box type spanners, the outside one held the cone still while the locknut was tightened by turning the inner one.

If this is not how your shimano pedal tool works, then an older technique was to jam a flat bladed screwdriver down by the cone flat to stop it moving whilst the locknut was tightened. A bit crude and trial and error until the best adjustment was obtained.

neil_p

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:34:12 pm »
Well, what you described is how the tool is supposed to work I think.  The tool is a "tube within a tube" - each has a socket at the end.  The problem is the larger outer tube fits the lock nut, whilst the slimmer inner tube fits nothing.  The pedals are only 2 years old and the tool is the only one shimano make.

I guess I'll have to use the screwdriver method - is it effective?

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:13:35 pm »
Does anyone have experience of Speedplay Frog pedals?  Looking at the design they seem very knee friendly indeed.