Author Topic: Cantilever Brakes with Swiss Stop Blue?  (Read 9310 times)

Juan Lap

Cantilever Brakes with Swiss Stop Blue?
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:30:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and learning more and more about the incompatibilities of bits everyday as I change them so please bear with me and maybe you can you share your infinite wisdom with me.

I'm upgrading my wheels to Grizzly CSS rims and know that I need Blue Swiss Stop pads from SJS. But my issue is this - I love my Shimano CX70 cantilever brakes, they work and they look great. The CX70 has a well thought out post/adjustment system which I'd hate to lose. The issue I have is that the Swiss Stop pads are longer as designed for V brakes and shoes. Has anybody had a similar issue before and found a workable solution for V Pads on Cantis or do I just throw any old V Brake shoe on?

Many thanks.

jags

Re: Cantilever Brakes with Swiss Stop Blue?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 03:36:11 pm »
fire them on they 'll be grand. ;) ;)

Juan Lap

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »
Thanks Jags, that's my kind of solution  :D

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »
I use the Koolstop CSS pads on Tektro CR720 cantilevers on the rear of my Nomad MkII.  I do not remember if I put the Koolstop pads into the brake pad holders that came with the Tectro brakes or if I had some spare brake pad holders from elsewhere.  That was two years ago.

If you can't buy brake pad holders for that size brake pad that fit in your brakes, consider other brakes.

At the time I got mine, SJS was out of stock on the Swiss Blue pads.

Juan Lap

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:23:19 pm »
Thanks Mickeg, I just tried to order the Swiss Stops form SJS too but they were out so Koolstop it is for me. Not long till I'll be squealing like everybody else.

LlamaBikes

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:33:50 pm »
I know this post is old but I don't think this is warranted it's own post. I have Andra 30 Rims with Paul Touring Canti's front and rear and have been riding this config for two years now.

I have spent quite a bit of time with both the Swissstop Blue and the Koolstop Black CSS v-brake pads and have come to much prefer the Koolstop. I have done several back and forths between those pads and have found the koolstop to be grippier, quieter (almost no squeal at all), and overall better pad. I do think it wears a little faster though.

As usual though in the rain they do take longer to stop, I don't think there is much of a difference between the Swissstop and the Koolstop there.

If you are in North America and want the koolstop pads, you can email koolstop directly and they will hook you up.

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:28:04 pm »
i had the same canti brakes on my sherpa classy brakes for sure i used kool stop salmon  worked  spot on ,but yeah like every brake they take careful planning on wet roads  ;D ;D.

welcome to the forum .

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 01:47:35 am »
If you are in North America and want the koolstop pads, you can email koolstop directly and they will hook you up.

Good to know on contacting Koolstop directly.  Thanks.

When I built up my Nomad I got an extra set of Koolstops, the Swisstops were unavailable.  My first set of Koolstops are getting a bit thin, so I have been wondering how long before I put my second set of pads on.  The shipping costs for something small and light like brake pads from SJS to USA is pretty high.

I have been curious to know if the Koolstop Ceramic pads (green color) would work on CSS rims.  I found some for an absurdly cheap clearance price and bought them as backups.  The Swisstop Blue was rated for both Ceramic and CSS, thus I was thinking maybe the Koolstop Ceramics would be similar enough to be functionally equivalent.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:13 am »
The shipping costs for something small and light like brake pads from SJS to USA is pretty high.

Really??

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 03:48:57 pm »
Dave, thanks.  Last time I got a price for a small item to be shipped to USA was a few years ago, the shipping was much higher than that.  Since then I never checked your prices again.  But, SJS is again on my shopping list.  Thanks again.

LlamaBikes

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 11:09:43 pm »
Last time I got a price for a small item to be shipped to USA was a few years ago, the shipping was much higher than that.

Yeah, the shipping used to be 10£ minimum a few years ago.

I have been curious to know if the Koolstop Ceramic pads (green color) would work on CSS rims.  I found some for an absurdly cheap clearance price and bought them as backups.  The Swisstop Blue was rated for both Ceramic and CSS, thus I was thinking maybe the Koolstop Ceramics would be similar enough to be functionally equivalent.

If you ever do try the ceramic pads let me know how they are, I've been curious about this too, as the availability of ceramic pads is much greater.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:02 am »

Sadly they leave deposits on the rim and glaze the rim surface.

Dave

in4

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:27:19 am »
Is there a 'go to' default cantilever brake pad for non CSS rims. Its like wading through treacle with all the different brands and supposed uniquely wonderful features they all purport to possess. Some are multi-coloured with differing compounds others are best for wet or best for dry or best for both. Then we get into pad shape and at this point I rapidly lose the will to live!

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »

Sadly they leave deposits on the rim and glaze the rim surface.

Dave

Thanks.  Sounds like I should avoid using them.

Is there a 'go to' default cantilever brake pad for non CSS rims. Its like wading through treacle with all the different brands and supposed uniquely wonderful features they all purport to possess. Some are multi-coloured with differing compounds others are best for wet or best for dry or best for both. Then we get into pad shape and at this point I rapidly lose the will to live!

For several years an internet forum for Surly Long Haul Trucker users has had a lot of good reports on Koolstop Salmon color pads, for all weather conditions.  I have never used them, I have generally been happy with any brake pads I use.

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »
Is there a 'go to' default cantilever brake pad for non CSS rims

I've used Koolstop black/salmon compound pads on my Raven's Deore V-brakes for the past two years. They work fine. The compound, and the straight black, are what our bike shops stock here in Ottawa, as we don't have a lot of summer rain. (Black being recommended for dryer conditions.)

My Eclipse light-touring bike has Avid canti's which are now nearly 15 years old, and we'll replace those this winter. I'll use the Koolstop black/salmon compound pads again.