Author Topic: dynamo lights  (Read 22551 times)

alfie1952

Re: dynamo lights
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 08:29:45 pm »
Hi Anto

will send you PM

Alfie

jags

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:56 pm »
 ;) cheers Alfie

anto.

macspud

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:47 pm »
But I'll admit the big secret: I chose that version to get the case to carry my watercolour paints in...

Andre,

Would you be so kind as to measure the inside dimemsions of that box for me? I've just bought an old dial indicator gauge that is in need of some sort of case for safe keeping. That box may be just the ticket. It would also give me a good excuse to buy that torch too.... ;)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:36:18 am by macspud »

jags

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 10:58:14 pm »
That loooks very interesting Andre. Its available for £2.89 here:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cree+q5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=o97NVc3QOYXtarf7mNgF#q=cree+q5&tbm=shop&spd=1978965628839672817

Yours, as pictured, comes with a case though.

Mmm, in sterling it cost me £7.88. http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_6175.html But I also got an 18650 lipo battery and a charger for it. You won't get a whole lotta hours on the road trying to drive the cheaper versions with a single AA NIMH cell.

But I'll admit the big secret: I chose that version to get the case to carry my watercolour paints in...
Andre did you buy from that site in the states.can that exact same lght be bought here.

Andre Jute

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:06 pm »

Andre,

Would you be so kind as to measure the inside dimemsions of that box for me? I've just bought an old dial indicator gauge that is in need of some sort of case for safe keeping. That box may be just the ticket. It would also give me a good excuse to buy that torch too.... ;)

165x105x40mm approx inside measurement, of which some is taken up by the removable foam lining. You can also buy the box alone, in two sizes, at http://www.gearbest.com/duffel-bags/pp_104970.html and http://www.gearbest.com/other-camping-gadgets/pp_111310.html; if you search Gearbest for "waterproof box" you'll probably find more colors -- mine is green.

I don't think the torch will be useful on its flash mode at night, because it is too strong. Even in daylight I have it turned down to the road, so drivers just see the edge of it, which is enough. But it will do brilliantly on lonely dark roads to light up the trees that try to knock me off my bike, and as an emergency lamp.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:51:10 pm by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 11:19:55 pm »
That loooks very interesting Andre. Its available for £2.89 here:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cree+q5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=o97NVc3QOYXtarf7mNgF#q=cree+q5&tbm=shop&spd=1978965628839672817

Yours, as pictured, comes with a case though.

Mmm, in sterling it cost me £7.88. http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_6175.html But I also got an 18650 lipo battery and a charger for it. You won't get a whole lotta hours on the road trying to drive the cheaper versions with a single AA NIMH cell.

Andre did you buy from that site in the states.can that exact same lght be bought here.

I think Gearbest is in China, Anto. However, though I got an 18650 lipo battery, a charger and a case with my lamp (together not overpriced but not cheap either), you can get it cheaper, though in a version that uses AA batteries which won't last nearly as long. Swings and roundabouts.

jags

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 11:47:44 pm »
Cheers Andre  ah its looks great but i'll stick to what i have  untili can afford to change.
mind you what im using is pretty good .

thans Andre

Anto.

macspud

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 05:29:11 am »
Thanks Andre.  :)

dick220369

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 06:56:25 am »
I just bought a Cree Q5 which uses a 18650 battery. I was so impressed with it I bought a second. I now have proper headlights on my bike so no excuse for a driver not to see me anymore  :)

P.S. I have made sure they point towards the ground and have adjusted the beam zoom so that I won't dazzle anyone.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 08:07:06 am »
I have made sure they point towards the ground and have adjusted the beam zoom so that I won't dazzle anyone.
<nods> This is very thoughtful and a wise precaution, as a light-dazzled oncoming driver might not be able to see well enough to miss a rider or other obstacle an it would be horrible to be the unwitting but proximate cause of an accident. I have been dazzled as a driver and -- Boy! -- it hurts, and I've lost valuable seconds while my eyes recovered from the extreme glare.

Symmetrical beams can require particular care in this regard, as they lack the upper cutoff of a "capped" beam. I have a 2-watt white LED blinky used not to see with, but to be visible (in conjunction with my IQ Cyo R and Premium lights) and I have to take care it is aimed downward. Locally, drivers have come to recognize cyclists in daytime by high-viz, neon yellow-green jerseys and jackets and at night by white and red LED blinkys -- to the point where both are almost mandatory if one is to be seen and recognized as a cyclist in the traffic stream.

All the best,

Dan.

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 07:48:57 pm »
Thanks! How long does such a powerful lamp last on 3xAAA?

Andre.

The batteries that came with the lamp lasted approx 16hrs. I've just fitted some Duracell batteries and expect these to last longer.

Id.

Andre.

An update, the Duracell batteries have just given up the ghost. Checking back the 16 hours I quoted was incorrect. The 3 AAA batteries at best last 10 hours.

Id.

jags

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:22 pm »
id is that 10 hours on full beam.i'd like to get a couple of those cree lights  if there as good as u guys make out it would surly be well worth it.

anto.

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 09:51:10 pm »
id is that 10 hours on full beam.i'd like to get a couple of those cree lights  if there as good as u guys make out it would surly be well worth it.

anto.

Anto

The Cree 3 Watt has three settings, the first is full beam, the next is slow intermittent and the last is fast intermittent. The 10 hours was on the latter setting. Most of my rides last about 2.5 hours so the batteries last 4 rides which is not long but the qualitity of the lamp is excellent and clamps to the seat post rigidly so I'm prepared to compromise.

Id

Andre Jute

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 10:06:38 pm »
Thanks! How long does such a powerful lamp last on 3xAAA?

Andre.

The batteries that came with the lamp lasted approx 16hrs. I've just fitted some Duracell batteries and expect these to last longer.

Id.

Andre.

An update, the Duracell batteries have just given up the ghost. Checking back the 16 hours I quoted was incorrect. The 3 AAA batteries at best last 10 hours.

Id.

Even ten hours sounds pretty good for such a powerful lamp; a few years ago we would have considered it absolutely great to get ten hours from a bicycle battery lamp. It's just that a) I want to get away from AAA's, having just trashed a front blinkie that used the last AAA on my bike and b) my current rear lamp, a Cateye TL-LD1100, goes a 100 hours plus (that's more than a hundred hours with two zeroes) on 2x AA batteries. I want both a stronger lamp than the Cateye, which has been the best available for many years but is now a bit outmoded, and a lamp that runs longer on its batteries.

Still, I pretty faithfully take the motor battery off the bike for charging after every ride, and I'll probably have to charge the 18650 for the front blinki every few rides, so I may as well include the rear blinkie in the routine.

For those who want to know what happened to my BUMM Cyo and Line Plus lamps, they're on the bike, permanently on, but I like having a blinkie front and rear as well, as a bicycle signature. I just wish I could buy a proper blinking lamp that would plug into the hub dynamo or 36V motor battery system.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:10:29 pm by Andre Jute »

dick220369

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 07:35:21 am »
As previously mentioned, I now have two of the Cree Q5s - I was so impressed with the first I bought a second. I was actually only going to buy one to replace a Lenzyne Superdrive that I still have. The Lenzyne light is very bright but only lasts for around two hrs, max brightness, on a 18650 battery. The Lenzyne cost me over £90 when I bought it a couple of years ago. But to be honest there really isn't much difference between the brightness of the Cree and the Lenzyne - not to justify the difference in price anyway. So if I can get a lot more than 2 hrs battery life from the Cree, all in all, I will be a very happy man.