Author Topic: dynamo lights  (Read 22582 times)

jags

Re: dynamo lights
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 08:41:44 pm »
Thanks for the link macspud but honest it would drive anto nuts trying to sus out the rim the spokes  the nagging from the wife just would not be worth the agro.
i think if i were to buy a bracket for my  head tube and another cateye light mount the two just under the handlebars  it would be sorted.
wonder tho is that bush n muller from rose bikes better than my cateye .

i like night riding it's  amazing how many guys you would meet with the same idea  , midnight i think the eigets come out at night me being one  ;D ;D

anto.

martinf

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:44:03 pm »
I've got an Ixon IQ Premium battery lamp, it gives basically the same light output as the Cyo Premium. Advantages of a good battery lamp over hub generator lighting as I see it :

- it can be quickly swapped between bikes if you have several, so is much cheaper.

- it can be used as a very good torch. Night time shrimping and professional use on nocturnal amphibian surveys are two non-cycling activities I have used it for.

- if you are concerned about weight it can be left at home for daylight only rides.

But I prefer hub generator lighting and have progressively converted nearly all the family bikes to this type of lighting, despite the additional cost. Advantages of hub generator lighting as I see it :

- it is always there, so I never get caught out on a daylight ride that turns out longer than expected.

- no hassle with regular battery charging. I found this worse in summer, as I would often forget. In winter it was more of a routine, charging the front and rear lamp batteries every weekend for the following week's commute.   

- it can be turned on in bad weather conditions and used indefinitely with no worries about discharging the batteries on long rides. I did this fairly often on my 2011 tour, to increase visibility while riding in dull, rainy conditions on several days on the homeward leg of the tour.

Nowadays I often leave my bike lamps on all the time with the aim, similar to motorcyles, of being slightly more visible to motorists. Decent hub generators and LED lamps are so efficient that I don't really notice the difference riding with lights on or off.

jags

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 08:55:28 pm »
Martin if i could afford it (i can't) i would have a set up like the video i posted but until then its the cateye  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 01:41:03 am »
Thanks for that recommendation, Id. Do you have a link or a model or vendor name?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:22:10 pm by Andre Jute »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 03:50:13 am »
Not sure if I mentioned this before. Old timers disease?

I bought a pair of second hand Bromptons recently, which were already equipped with Shimano dynamos and B&M Lyt headlamps and Spaninga tail lamps. The Spaningas have a stand light function, but the Lyts don't. The Lyt also has one of the worst spreads I've ever seen in ANY light, and riding down a quiet, poorly lit backstreet gives you a rectangular hot spot about the size of an A3 or A2 page, which dazzles your eyes and prevents you from seeing anything outside this beam. I don't know why Brompton have chosen this arrangement (other than the Lyt is appropriately tiny), as the light is already so close to the ground that you really need the widest field you can get.

The Shimano and lights add approx. 440g to the weight of the bike, which is substantial with a Brompton. (These bikes also have titanium sub frames and forks, which is a hideously expensive way to save about 700g!)

Anyway, I'm not at all happy with the Lyt, so looking at my options. I could upgrade the headlight to an Eyc or a Luxos B, and the taillight to a Toplight Line Plus BrakeTec (my favourite)., and live with the Shimano.  I could also swap out the Shimano hub for an SP, which is lighter and better quality.

Prior to reading this thread, I hadn't considered battery lights, but that is now a serious option, and the lightest, although perhaps not the cheapest.  ::)

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 06:36:58 am »
Running your headlights in daylight is of some value I find.

B&M Cyo headlight (older model) - as bright as a car headlight in my comparative observations.

Supernova E3 at about 300m distant, on a desert road
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:57:44 am by il padrone »

martinf

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:07 am »
Quote from: il padrone

Yes. On my last bicycle trip to the UK I had a Brompton with SON dynamo and Cyo. Weather was overcast/rainy, so I left the lights on all the time. In narrow lanes cars would often pull in to wait for me, I'm fairly certian they wouldn't have done this so often without the bright front lamp.

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 01:26:51 pm »
Quote from: il padrone

Yes. On my last bicycle trip to the UK I had a Brompton with SON dynamo and Cyo. Weather was overcast/rainy, so I left the lights on all the time. In narrow lanes cars would often pull in to wait for me, I'm fairly certian they wouldn't have done this so often without the bright front lamp.

You notice that people notice daylight running lamps not only on bicycles but on motorbikes and cars as well. It may just be that they see it as consideration, and consideration breeds consideration. Every little bit helps.

macspud

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 05:39:02 pm »
Jags,
This might help you get one for a snip, then practice your wheel building skills.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=99350&sid=5291f22559e76e2f15705e34f2e7cfa2
I was swithering on buying it myself but I'd rather a 36 hole.

Well Jags, it was snapped PDQ, sold a couple of hours after I linked to it. If I come across any battery lights at interesting prices, I'll let you know.

i like night riding it's  amazing how many guys you would meet with the same idea  , midnight i think the eigets come out at night me being one  ;D ;D

anto.

I also like night riding, hills seem easier at night as you just keep plodding away without being able to see just how much further you need to climb. I usually find that I get to the top before I am expecting to when it's dark.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:16:33 pm by macspud »

jags

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »
Cheers Macspud  8)

jags.

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 09:01:46 pm »
Thanks for that recommendation, Id. Do you have a link or a model or vendor name?

Andre.

I purchased from Am-Tech, AMTECHTOOLS.com stock code S8076, £18.20 + £4.95 shipping & handling. I've since found the light on Amazon.uk for £17.37 free delivery.

Id.

Andre Jute

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 10:08:45 pm »
Thanks! How long does such a powerful lamp last on 3xAAA?

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »
Thanks! How long does such a powerful lamp last on 3xAAA?

Andre.

The batteries that came with the lamp lasted approx 16hrs. I've just fitted some Duracell batteries and expect these to last longer.

Id.

alfie1952

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 07:39:26 pm »
Hi,

I have a front wheel  700 x 36h with a Shimano DH3 N72 dyno hub it has stainless spokes and a nearly new Schwalbe Marathon tyre everything in great condition if any one is interested. I bought the wheelset but only wanted the rohloff, as I already have a son28. Pm me if interested.

Regards Alf

jags

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 08:06:53 pm »
yeah i'd be interested alfie will it take 25mm tyre. mind u it depends on the price im very carefull with my money  seen as i dont have much of it  ;)

anto