Author Topic: dynamo lights  (Read 22536 times)

jags

dynamo lights
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:14 pm »
This is some set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwM7vDvvGhU.

any thoughts lads love to set up my dolan with new front dynamo wheel and a pair of the premium  lights .

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: dynamo lights
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:46:20 pm »
Real pleased with the beam on my B&M Cyo Premium, Anto.

I see no reason why your bike couldn't be setup with a front wheel laced around a dynohub and powering one or more LED dyno lights.

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:52:24 pm »
I see no reason why your bike couldn't be setup with a front wheel laced around a dynohub and powering one or more LED dyno lights.

All the best,

Dan.

Dan mentioned more than one light.  If you try to power two lights, I did that but I used two lights wired in series, both lights were identical specification.  If wired in series, both lights will consume identical amount of current.  So, if you mix and match and they do not have the same current draw, your results may be poorer than you want.

Also, with two lights I had a higher minimum speed to get useable light than with one light.

Regarding the B&M light you are looking at, I have no opinion.  I am quite happy with the new AXA Luxx 70 Plus I got.

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:04:49 pm »
cheers lads quick replys im very impressed ,
 few years back i done a fair bit of night riding ,i use  battery lights 2 excellent lights but at full power 2 hours i'd say is max , now 2 of those  premium cyo would be fantastic i reckon..
i had the shimano dynamo hub on the sherpa worked   great btw  is the son hub better.

thanks lads

anto.
good deal here.......http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-lumotec-iq-cyo-premium-t--senso-plus-front-headlamp/aid:709237
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:07:03 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:39:31 pm »
i had the shimano dynamo hub on the sherpa worked   great btw  is the son hub better.
Anto, the Shimanos (there is a range available) are very workable, as Andre will quickly tell you.

Shutter Precision makes a series of nice dynohubs also. Early versions suffered from bearing problems, but these seem to have been sorted long since.

I use and prefer the SON series for their low drag both on and off, for their high-quality sealed bearings, and for their pressure-compensating mechanism (a small hole in the center of the axle), which Shutter has advised in correspondence is missing on their present models. The SONs seem better suited for my use in some more extreme circumstances and I have been happy with them, but they are more expensive than Shimano and Shutter.

When you look at dynohubs, be sure to check output. Some models have lower output and are intended for powering only LEDs, while others will also power or charge gadgets through an adapter. I have been fortunate to find my setups will provide light while charging some gadgets; it depends on their electrical demands.

You could always go back and duplicate the setup you had on your Sherpa and come out very nicely. The recommendations from then are still good for a high-value setup.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:19:20 am »
cheers Dan just window shoping as usual,still good to know what makes for a great set up ;)

anto.

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:52 am »
If you want the brighter dynamo light, get the new Schmidt Edelux II

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/choosing-your-headlight/

Beam shot from Peter White Cycles

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:02:29 am »
This is some set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwM7vDvvGhU.

any thoughts lads love to set up my dolan with new front dynamo wheel and a pair of the premium  lights .

Eh? Those Ixons are battery lamps. And very impressive battery lamps too. I don't see why with seven and a half hours of use out of a battery lamp you'd want to fit a dyno wheel on a road bike. With that kind of battery life, a dynohub is just dead weight you have to haul around all year for the few fine evenings when you can ride after dark.

The dynamo equivalents of the Ixons are the Cyo lamps.

Nor do I see that you need two of either. The Cyo, which I have in both the original version and as an e-lamp with the third series reflector in the Fly body, puts out more light onto the road than a VW Beetle did in the 6V days, and the Premium does better still. Two together would just be an irritation to drivers. As it is I keep my Cyo, currently on my bike, aimed somewhat towards the hedge and just tilt the handlebars to give a driver a brush below window level if he is stupid, and if he remains stupid I tilt the bars again to sweep the light through his eyes; nobody is stupid three times...

About the comparison between the SON and the Shimano hub dynamos: if the thing puts out the right voltage and current, for the practical purposes of 99.999% of riders, including tourers, and certainly including all road bikers, you can buy Shimanos for the entire family for the price of one SON, and not notice the difference. I have SON and a couple of grades of Shimano going back to the previous century, and it is just as well I got my SON compulsorily included in the spec of my Shimano-free (code for "We buy only German components") Utopia for "free", because I've long since concluded that a SON for most cyclists is ostentatious consumption, one-upmanship, and I'd hate to stand revealed as a hypocrite.

You have to put your mind around two facts:
Today LEDs produce more light for less current.
Today batteries weigh less and produce more current.
These two facts together mean that for the vast majority of cyclists hub dynamos are no longer as attractive as once they were, and for many they're dead weight and unnecessary expense.

Frankly, if I were starting over specifying my bike, I'd buy a lamp like this one as my lighting system

-- for which I paid the grand sum of €10.65 landed at my door. And this to fix it to the bike

for another couple of quid, total 13 Euro and change for a complete lightweight, adaptable, instantly removable installation.

Don't be tempted to buy the stronger T6 lamp instead of the Q5: it will be too strong.

This particular lamp, primarily a hunting lamp I bought on its spec, also has a half-power mode, and an intermittent flash mode, which is what I want it for: I use it for a daylight running blinkie, and it serves as redundant backup if my other light system should break, but it would make a superb primary lamp system. Unfortunately it appears too strong to use as nighttime front blinkie though I plan to experiment with turning it to face the road and see how that works..

I'd like to find a lamp precisely like it with a red LED to use as a rear blinkie. As a red lamp it would be a bit stronger than the Dinotte 400 of fond memory, and like the Dinotte I would keep it turned down to the road to light up the entire bicycle and rider in a flickering glow of moving red light that no one can miss.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:17:57 pm by Andre Jute »

in4

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 01:33:30 pm »
That loooks very interesting Andre. Its available for £2.89 here:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cree+q5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=o97NVc3QOYXtarf7mNgF#q=cree+q5&tbm=shop&spd=1978965628839672817

Yours, as pictured, comes with a case though.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 02:32:32 pm »
That loooks very interesting Andre. Its available for £2.89 here:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cree+q5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=o97NVc3QOYXtarf7mNgF#q=cree+q5&tbm=shop&spd=1978965628839672817

Yours, as pictured, comes with a case though.

Mmm, in sterling it cost me £7.88. http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_6175.html But I also got an 18650 lipo battery and a charger for it. You won't get a whole lotta hours on the road trying to drive the cheaper versions with a single AA NIMH cell.

But I'll admit the big secret: I chose that version to get the case to carry my watercolour paints in...

jags

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 03:32:10 pm »
Ahh Andre you burst my bubble, here i was dreaming of a great light system and u recommend a feckin torch i'm very disappointed  :'(
if i bought another cateye like the one im using it would be better than any dynamo system for lighting up the dark country road  but the problem is charging them up after every ride,well maybe not so much a problem more hassle .
ah ok feck it im not going to get a new wheel or lights  totally gone off that plan. :-[
think i'll buy a 99 instead.

anto. :o

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »
think i'll buy a 99 instead.

The one in which the ice-cream man sticks a chocolate Flake? I haven't had one of those in decades...

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »

Better can be defined many ways.  This article was one of the pieces of research I did before I bought my SP hub.  Very good info here:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/feature-hub-dynamos.pdf

I have been very happy with my SP PV-8.  When I bought it they were very hard to find with no distributor chain in USA, I bought it on Ebay from Taiwan.  But there now is a better distribution chain established.

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 07:40:04 pm »
Quote from: Andre Jute link=topic=11255.msg81807#msg81807 date=1439546549

[/quote
I'd like to find a lamp precisely like it with a red LED to use as a rear blinkie. As a red lamp it would be a bit stronger than the Dinotte 400 of fond memory, and like the Dinotte I would keep it turned down to the road to light up the entire bicycle and rider in a flickering glow of moving red light that no one can miss.

Andre.

Although I don't cycle at night I like to have a red blinkie for safe riding the lanes during the day. I bought and have been using for several months now a Cree 3 Watt LED rear bike light. I wanted a bright light and the Cree certainly delivers that at 120 Lumens. I'm very impressed with the quality of the lamp, the body is aluminium, much superior than most other bike lights from the likes of Cateye etc.

Id

macspud

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 07:52:08 pm »
Jags,
This might help you get one for a snip, then practice your wheel building skills.
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=99350&sid=5291f22559e76e2f15705e34f2e7cfa2
I was swithering on buying it myself but I'd rather a 36 hole.