Author Topic: Shake out tour.  (Read 10566 times)

AndyE

Shake out tour.
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:38:56 pm »
Just relaxing after my first day of a 3 day tour. Doncaster to Naburn just south of York. 42 miles mostly on NCN 65 in just over 4.5 hours ride time. Lots of brakes and a cake or two.Ok it was all very much flat and on some quite roads and cycle paths. Venturing out east of york towards Driffield tomorrow looking for some hills that are sadly lacking on my local area & second night around Howden, heading back home Sunday.
I will post some photos on my return.

Andy.
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Shake out tour.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 06:45:13 pm »
Safe and happy travels, Andy.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:43:32 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
Andy am i reading you right tomorrow your going looking for hills ???
as long as there all down hill  ;)

enjoy hope you get super weather stay safe.

anto.

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:45:21 pm »
That was the plan Anto! full report tomorrow.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:40:28 am »
England would be good if only someone would run a celestial cake roller over Yorkshire a couple of times!

AndyE

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:52:22 pm »
Well that was an eye opener. I relay enjoyed my 2 days out, and I have learned some new things too.

Ready for the off. I have had a few rids out, with a half and full loads, my circumstances have not allowed me much time or the ability to range too far home up until now, so this shake out tour was most important, the only opportunity I will have before my impending tour in September. Now fully loaded with all the obvious kit , tent stove food etc all the kit I will need for an extended tour. A lot of kit for just a few days but that was the whole point, to experiences a fully loaded bike on a variety of track & surfaces, over a longer distances than I have had chance to ride so far.

As I mounted my Sherpa and pushed off, there was an problem, a shimmy come wobble, and as the speed climbed stopped! strange not had that before, I continued on and put it down just to the way I had loaded the bike.

Making my way north to join the Trans Pennine Trail NCN62 at the New Junction canal and on to Selby to join NCN65.

One of the many swing bridges over the New Junction Canal, and a my first brake, a swig of juice and KitKat as I waited, before crossing over. I did not need to tack the tow path, could have used a quiet road close by.

Pushing on from the canal and back onto roads passing through sleepy little villages and on to off road tracks. This part was very enjoyable, hard rough tracks made for easy going, mainly because they were dry and dusty, witch led to the brakes binding on the front rim. Adjusted the front brake, it did help but did not clear the issue, an intermittent pad and rim rubbing noise. Just south of Selby NCN62 takes advantage of the perimeter track around what was RAF Burn now home to Burn Gliding club. Lots of places to hide for a wild camp too.

Clearing Selby and a change of rout to NCN 65 brings you to the village of Riccall and the start of a 8 mile cycle track that takes you all the way to York. Mile 36 for me, and the wobble was back, and front brakes rubbing on the rim. The wobble was present from the start and at first put it down to the way I had packed and the extra weight I had in the bar bag. I did get use to it and became almost negligible up till this point! but this needed a second glance and to my horror I find that son skewer was lose!  very lose!! :-[ That was quickly tightened, the wobble had gone as had the intermittent brake rubbing. From hear to the camp site at Naburn was one of the most delightful rids I have ever had. Smooth straight path and no cars.

This is the old Railway Station at Naburn witch makes up the 8 miles of track to York, Camping and Hostel accommodation available, coffee, teas and cakes are there for you to help your self and pay into the honesty box. Free air and water, just like in the good old days. A very pleasant rest stop and one I now wish I had taken advantage off.

Not to be too disrespectful to the camp site just before hear, but the worst night sleep I have had on any camp site in the last 40 years. Boris the Porcine Casanova!  He was in full rutting mode! and the metal gate on his sty made one hell of a racket from just after midnight up until 2.45 am >:( and the 7 or large 8 flood lights at York Marina just 200m away, provided a never ending twilight! I did dose off, but not for long. 3.30am and the rooster started crowing and strutting his stuff.

I was feeling exhorted and a lie in was needed, I did managed to get 40 winks in before I gave up on have any sleep at all. The kids were up and wanting their breakfast! just got to love the smell of coco-pops in the morning. The camp site felicity's are basic but adequate, free showers with hot water, but not that much water, the shower pack in mid lather >:(   

Semi showered, fed and watered, I struck camp, loaded up and headed in to York, and change on to NCN66 and head over as planed towards Stamford Bridge and Pocklington. Looking for a few hills to test my metal. I can shift through all the chain rings on the flat fully loaded but all of a sudden unable to change from mid to small chain ring on even a gentle slope! All of a sudden changing had become a bit crunchy. A slight adjustment got rid of the crunchy change now from mid to the big ring but still no joy from mid to small ring. Tied and fed up I turned about face and headed back to NCN65 and home. 53 miles with the last 20 into a strong head wind, which sapped what remaining strength I had.

On the whole I very much enjoyed this trip, even though I did not achieve everything I had set out to Ride. I still have a need to ride a hill fully loaded with a working bike. That's now not going to happen until I depart Glasgow Queens Street Station in September.

What I have learnt. Lots actually, after all, that was this trips was all about. The lose front skewer was a school boy error, and not being a school boy I should have know better. The problems with the front changer was a surprise! it had been working perfectly up till that point I have not had the chance to put in the long miles that I had hoped I could have done over the last year. It has had regular cleaning and maintenance in that time. It will have a full strip and re-lube before I head off for Scotland and a very close inspection to see what need adjusting to make the front changes smooth as silk.

When I had the Sherpa made, I did not see the need for an Thorn Accessory Bar to be fitted, a cost implication at the time. After two day riding I am not at all sure I like the extra weight that high on the handle bars with front bags fitted, I am not sure I will like the bar bag fitted to an accessory bar with the weight slightly lower and forward too. I will have to give that one some careful consideration for future tours.  It posses no problem when I use it on my daily commute to carry odds and ends and a jacket.

The above photo was a bit of a shock, I did think it had snapped off until I put my glasses on. An Easy fix, make better checks before riding off!

After 40 plus years of living out of a bag and sleeping under the stars, all that side of life was sorted, well almost. Can I improve on it? and the answer is of course, yes. They will only be slight changers there nothing drastic just a neater solution to packing. One item that may well be changed is the addition of a Helinox Chair. My Exped down mat and chair kit is very comfortable but after a long day riding and at my age, 29 plus ;) , I think a better sitting position is needed.

E-werk. I fitted this only 3 weeks ago. It is not needed on my daily commute to keep my phone charged. My phone is connected to the external battery of my Tigra Bikeconsole Plus wich acts as the buffer between the Son and phone. On the trip out this all worked very well keeping the phone topped up. At the moment I am using cycledroid to record speed and distance. On the way back was a different matter. I had to swap out the phone battery for the spare to keep thing going. The head wind on the way back did slow me down and the performances needed to keep the charging going was diminished. Pherhaps I will need ti invest in the E-werk battery too?

Well there we are warts and all account. It was a lot of fun, even after a poor nights sleep and a quick shower!. I have not written off stopping at Millbridge farm camp site off just yet. It is a nice camp site on the whole just hit it on the wrong night.

Andy.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:00:52 pm by AndyE »

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »
Nice account, thanks. I know that area well being brought up near York. One of those cities where everyone cycles! I'm heading over to the Wolds in September for a short tour.

Glad you got the shimmying sorted and you didn't lose the front wheel. I've ridden 25 miles without a rear skewer but I'd not want to do that on the front.

jags

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:19:04 pm »
Great report Andy ,i had the same problem with my sherpa  shifting problem whem loaded up  didn't discover it until  i hit a very very hard climb still i sorted it out once i got over the top. ;)
so after doing that  tour would you concider getting rid of the front panniers just use rear and barbag.only reason im saying that i found i could pack all i need into the rear makes for better easier cycling.
anyhoo great photos i enjoyed them,,

cheers
Anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 04:36:35 pm »
Wonderful tour report and photos, Andy. Proves once again the great worth of shakedown cruises and backyard tryouts of tents, sleeping bags, and pads.

You'll soon have all the rough edges smoothed and have things going well for future trips. Thanks again for favoring us so nicely with your report. Looking forward to more.

Lovely bike!

All the best,

Dan.

AndyE

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 04:59:38 pm »

so after doing that  tour would you consider getting rid of the front panniers just use rear and barbag.only reason im saying that i found i could pack all i need into the rear makes for better easier cycling.

cheers
Anto.

That's more than possible Anto, for a short tour perhaps, but for September over 12 days with the possibility of inclement weather!  think I will need space for some, just in case, warmer clothing / winter sleeping bag & the obligatory wet weather gear.

Andy, Who has ordered more Avon skin so sore! ;)

jags

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 06:04:51 pm »
Andy came across a video yesterday on utube some guy backpacking i was very impressed with his set up i must see if i can find it again worth a watch.
buddy of mine from the UK uses the helinox chair fantastic bit of kit but expensive there a copy of that chair that  much cheaper and  supposed to be very sturdy.
hah no point in me telling u that if i don't know the make but i shall try and find out.
here u go Andy very good this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOw9ksqqNM.

anto.

jags

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 06:06:11 pm »

AndyE

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 07:31:07 pm »
Just had the bike on the stand and yes the front mech was out of alignment, and source of the problem. It was not parallel with the chain rings, by about 3 to 4 mm.  The bracket was tight so must of had a hard knock on rout . The changes are smoother but not silky smooth. Just a bit more work on that and rear mech witch has now started jumping.  Going to get a better service and a good clean.

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:45 pm »
Fine looking bike, Sir.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 09:51:08 pm »
Andy what front and rear mechs are u using i had shimano Xt770 on mine great set up but what i didnt like about rear mech NO barrell adjuster so  had to fit on line adjuster  worked fine but a bit tricky once the barbag was fitted.
have you the the front mech set at right height   top of teeth big chain 2mm.

anto.