Author Topic: Hi All! Forum back up, but with some bugs  (Read 24354 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Hi All! Forum back up, but with some bugs
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:35:03 pm »
Hi All!

Dan here...the Forum has been back up for the last couple hours, but I am finding some bugs to pass along to Adrian, Thorn's IT man. He has been working hard this last while to bring the Forum back to us, for which we can all be grateful. Now we can help him by collecting any bugs. If you can't post them here as a reply or to me by PM, please email them to me at my username at (the people who are the BigName in searches and email) and I'll pass them along.

Admins have different permissions than general users, so your help is...helpful! I registered with a dummy account and found some problems. Here is a partial list so far...

• Avatars aren't displaying for member accounts. The solution should be:
Admin -> Forum -> Attachments and Avatars -> Avatar Settings?
Check there that the Avatars directory $ Avatars URL are correct.

• Non-admins (regular members) don't see the New Topic button...Membergroups permissions issue.

• New Topic button is missing...seems to be a permission issue. Membergroup permissions to start new topic.

• All past personal messages (PMs) are missing.

• New registration emails come from "My Community" not Thorn Cycles or Thorn Cycling Forum, sourced from (personal account) @sjscycles.

•  Forum start URL resolves to http:// cluster3172.extendcp.uk/thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php "cluster3172.extendcp" prepends all page requests.

• Tab name for Forum start page comes up as My Community (as with the welcoming email for new member registrations), not Thorn Cycling Forum.

All the best,

Dan Wood
"Danneaux"
Thorn Cycling Forums Administrator

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Hi All! Forum back up, but with some bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:20:56 pm »
Also...

• Quote facility is missing for regular members (again...permissions)

• Yikes! We're being hit left and right by spam registrations...Tom's Outlet, a Dictionary spammer in the Belgian Congo, etc. Yes, we need the StopForumSpam filter mod in place.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:54 pm »
Hi Dan!

What good news -- I've been in a wee state of ThornCyclesForum Deprivation. Have compensated for it by changing the 38T 'ring on Osi to a 36, and installing a new chain for the new ring. Mini-road-test report to come, when the temps back off a bit: 32 forecast for today, with 100% humidity, if you can imagine :-(

Bug reports:

1)  PMs:  My back list of PMs (inbox) seems intact.

2)  As I worked through different threads (hadn't seen any since early July, bef I went on a mini-tour with Meg to Prince Edward County) it seemed that the "reply" button had gone missing...But after 5 minutes, it appeared. Hence this message.  I'll monitor this & let you know.

Thanks very much to Adrian, yourself, and others who have worked on the Forum site.  Looking forward to catching up.

Best,

John

PS as edit:  "Modify" seems to work fine, as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:41:57 pm by John Saxby »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »
Thanks for all the hard work getting the forum back!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:45:26 pm »
I just added an avatar to my profile and now I see that appearing. So the missing avatars seem to be because somehow the old avatars aren't hooked up. The new forum does seem ready and willing to display avatars.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:46:50 pm »

• Quote facility is missing for regular members (again...permissions)

Quoting seems to be back, too!

ians

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 02:54:02 pm »
Hi Dan

good to see you again.  Thanks for all the hard work.

ian

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:47 pm »
Oo! I can now reply too!

I note that the site is still forgetting my login (making me log in each time), although it may already be fixed.

Dan, do you know if we'll get our old avatars and other stuff back?

Oh, and howdy everyone! I hope you enjoyed your break.  8) (Nice new emoticons, no?)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:30 pm »
the site is still forgetting my login 

I seem to have gotten timed out and needed to log back in again. No big deal of course but there is probably a bit somewhere that could get flipped...

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
Glad to see the forum back up and running.

Having the same issue with having to repeatedly log in. The problem for me occurs when I follow the link from the post in thorn general section to here.

All the best

Andy

Erudin

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »
Good to see it back  :)

geocycle

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:58:24 pm »
Yeah, I'm back as well. Had to log out and back in again to get reply and quotes to appear.

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 04:35:45 pm »
While the forum was down, I used my time to strip down an old bike, repaint the frame and build it back up with a very odd mix of new and old components. 

When I bought the bike (used) in the 1970s, it had a Campy rear hub date code of 1961 and a Brooks date code of 1962.  Had not ridden it for over a decade.  I had forgotten how much I hate downtube friction shifting.

Now I will find out if the old limit on how many electrons you can post in photos is still there or not.  Paint in the photos looks black but it is dark forest green.

jags

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 04:49:26 pm »
bet it rides like silk fantastic build well done and super paint job.Mick how did you go about painting the frame just curious.

anto.

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 05:19:41 pm »
bet it rides like silk fantastic build well done and super paint job.Mick how did you go about painting the frame just curious.

anto.

I am actually quite unhappy with the paint.  It easily scratches off.  Used automotive primer, then on top of that some paint that I have had for a while.  But the primer did not bond to the steel very well.  Maybe you need special paints to get it to bond to Columbus?

I repainted it in the 1980s, same problem at that time too.  Automotive primer did not bond well.  This time I prepped the bare metal a little more careful, as a last stage I even wiped it down with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol to try to clean any chemicals off of the metal.

I have been hesitant to take it to someone to paint it, I want the original paint on the headbadge to remain.  After this paint job gets beat up enough I might try to remove the headbadge, then have a professional paint it.  Then try to figure out how to re-rivet the headbadge back on.