Author Topic: Rohloff...Where to buy from ??...  (Read 11447 times)

mickeg

Re: Rohloff...Where to buy from ??...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »
First road test and everything works just fine. Not sure if I have geared too low (16/36) but I live in North Yorkshire and it's seriously hilly round here so the low gearing MAY stay...It's early days so I will see how it goes.
[/quote]

It is easy to swap chainrings.  For around home use where it is pretty flat, I use a 44/16 ratio.  But for off road touring I switch the chain ring to a 36t.  I have an extra quick link in my chain so I can easily take out the links necessary to switch from the 44 to 36.

uksteve58

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 04:25:06 pm »
I like Surly's too...I have a Disc Trucker...frame now attached to direct connect indoor trainer, and an old Karate Monkey that I've had for 12 yrs I think, currently a s/s.
Yes their versatility makes them a good option. When I bought the DT the Troll/Ogre wasn't out, but if they had of been I very well may have gone for an Ogre instead of DT.
I'd been using an Alfine 8 in the KM, but it was a piece of junk...it died after 6 months...so I got an Alfine 11...stiil less than impressed, so I stopped mucking around and got a Rohloff, and have never regretted it. I like the Salsa frames (Fargo and Vaya Travel), the ones with "Alternator" drop-outs for Rohloff also Shand make a nice Rohloff specific frame too.....but pricey!!. 36/16 sounds ok if you've got a hilly terrain to deal with. 42/16 works for me, but I'm down in Kent.....lots of hills....but not Yorkshire ones.

Tiberius

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:13:43 am »
......when will I stop going for gears with my thumb ?....... ;D

IronMac

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 08:41:48 am »
@mickeg, really interesting post! Thanks.